Teacher Sues After Being Fired For Refusing To Use Transgender Student’s ‘Preferred Pronoun

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Child cruelty sending your kid to public schools.
Fired for not using Orwellian speech, welcome to the 21st Century.

A Virginia high school teacher who was fired for refusing to use a transgender student’s preferred pronouns has filed a lawsuit against the school district.

Officials at West Point High School, about 40 miles east of Richmond, cited nondiscrimination and anti-harassment policies in December when it terminated French teacher Peter Vlaming over his refusal to call a female-to-male transgender student by his preferred pronoun.

But Vlaming fired back in a lawsuit filed on Monday, accusing the West Point School Board of violating his right to free speech. He said he was fired because he avoided using pronouns all together when referring to the student, who was transitioning to male at the time.

Using male pronouns, such as “him” and “he” when addressing the student would have violated his “conscience,” Vlaming said in the suit, citing religious beliefs.

He said school administrators eventually gave him an ultimatum: either use male pronouns or risk losing his job.

“Defendants made up an uncompromising interpretation of their policies to compel Mr. Vlaming to take sides in an ongoing public debate regarding gender dysphoria and use pronouns that express an objectively untrue ideological message,” the lawsuit says. “Mr. Vlaming’s conscience and religious practice prohibits him from intentionally lying, and he sincerely believes that referring to a female student as a male by using an objectively male pronoun is telling a lie.”

Teacher sues after being fired for refusing to use student's preferred pronouns

He could have included in the lawsuit an argument that the educational facility was interfering with the proper use of English pronouns and damaging the educational process.

A Virginia high school teacher who was fired for refusing to use a transgender student’s preferred pronouns has filed a lawsuit against the school district.

Officials at West Point High School, about 40 miles east of Richmond, cited nondiscrimination and anti-harassment policies in December when it terminated French teacher Peter Vlaming over his refusal to call a female-to-male transgender student by his preferred pronoun.

But Vlaming fired back in a lawsuit filed on Monday, accusing the West Point School Board of violating his right to free speech. He said he was fired because he avoided using pronouns all together when referring to the student, who was transitioning to male at the time.

Using male pronouns, such as “him” and “he” when addressing the student would have violated his “conscience,” Vlaming said in the suit, citing religious beliefs.

He said school administrators eventually gave him an ultimatum: either use male pronouns or risk losing his job.

“Defendants made up an uncompromising interpretation of their policies to compel Mr. Vlaming to take sides in an ongoing public debate regarding gender dysphoria and use pronouns that express an objectively untrue ideological message,” the lawsuit says. “Mr. Vlaming’s conscience and religious practice prohibits him from intentionally lying, and he sincerely believes that referring to a female student as a male by using an objectively male pronoun is telling a lie.”

“He said school administrators eventually gave him an ultimatum: either use male pronouns or risk losing his job.”

All we need to know

“He said school administrators eventually gave him an ultimatum: either use male pronouns or risk losing his job.”

All we need to know
It’s a female, shitforbrains.
Next kid says she’s a cat you want teachers fired for not supplying a sandbox to crap in?

Referring to an individual by one pronoun or another is now a religious belief??? The "religion" thing has become too nutty to be believed. I can't wait for the next whine.

Vlaming fired back in a lawsuit filed on Monday, accusing the West Point School Board of violating his right to free speech. He said he was fired because he avoided using pronouns all together when referring to the student, who was transitioning to male at the time.
Free speech doesn't mean the option to use hate speech. If he called a Black kid the N word he should be terminated. If he refused to say anything to this trans kid, I'm not so sure what is proper. I'd say just transfer either the kid or the teacher to another class.

Referring to an individual by one pronoun or another is now a religious belief??? The "religion" thing has become too nutty to be believed. I can't wait for the next whine.

It's called reality. Trans people can only become impersonations of the sex they want to be, they cannot become the sex they want to be.

Vlaming fired back in a lawsuit filed on Monday, accusing the West Point School Board of violating his right to free speech. He said he was fired because he avoided using pronouns all together when referring to the student, who was transitioning to male at the time.
Free speech doesn't mean the option to use hate speech. If he called a Black kid the N word he should be terminated. If he refused to say anything to this trans kid, I'm not so sure what is proper. I'd say just transfer either the kid or the teacher to another class.

If that's your definition of hate speech, then i suggest never going outside again, you queefing little snowflake.

Is that "hate" speech as well?

Correct common pronouns are not hate speech.

If that's your definition of hate speech, then i suggest never going outside again, you queefing little snowflake.

So a white man using 'N*gger' is NOT hate speech? What about '****', 'chink', 'wop', 'towel head', or any others?

So a white man using 'N*gger' is NOT hate speech? What about '****', 'chink', 'wop', 'towel head', or any others?

Its bad language. The intent is what makes it hate.

Sorry, but calling a he a she or vice versa does not rise up to ethnic slurs, or at least one of them.

The speech has only the power given to it by the listener. Call me a mick or a wop, or guinea, or cracker. see if I care.

Sorry, but calling a he a she or vice versa does not rise up to ethnic slurs, or at least one of them.

The speech has only the power given to it by the listener. Call me a mick or a wop, or guinea, or cracker. see if I care.

"Drunken Irish Mick" here. Get me a T-Shirt.

What if I were to call a white guy a niqqer?

I agree, it is the intent is what makes it hate.

If I told my teacher my name is John but he insisted on calling me Jane or Moron. Is that hate? Don't we all get to be called by our given name? Why are pronouns any different?

All we need to know

^ All he/she/they/zhey need to know ^

"Drunken Irish Mick" here. Get me a T-Shirt.

What if I were to call a white guy a niqqer?

The proper term is wigger.

Forum List

Back