Tea Party was a good idea at first, but...

btv628

Rookie
Nov 3, 2008
Ohio
As the tea party continues to grow and gain support it just seems too obvious that it has become nothing more than an opportunity for the republican party to sit back, pitch their so-called 'back to american values' and limited government agenda to a people who are fed up with the trashing of our country and are pissed off and like what they are hearing.
What will the tea party accomplish by supporting right-wing agendas that change nothing? Different party control...SOS again!

I too am sick of hearing of Obamas' apology laced foreign policy, the government gaining more and more power, a congress (both sides) that makes the mafia look like snot-nosed pranksters...and on and on.

The tea party sounded good at first but...(yawn) :

As the tea party continues to grow and gain support it just seems too obvious that it has become nothing more than an opportunity for the republican party to sit back, pitch their so-called 'back to american values' and limited government agenda to a people who are fed up with the trashing of our country and are pissed off and like what they are hearing.
What will the tea party accomplish by supporting right-wing agendas that change nothing? Different party control...SOS again!

I too am sick of hearing of Obamas' apology laced foreign policy, the government gaining more and more power, a congress (both sides) that makes the mafia look like snot-nosed pranksters...and on and on.

What do you suggest to change things?

What would you expect from a herd of angry people that are mad at Obama? GOP becoming tea party movements shepherd was the only logical evolvement.

None of the above in November, for starters.

RE: What do I suggest?

Voters of both parties putting an end to their continuing support of these clowns returning to office would be a start. Being a libertarian my obvious choice would be voting libertarian or other third party selection, one that would truly represent smaller government and a president and congress held in check by the constitution. But sadly their is no such candidate. At least not yet.

The libertarians' last presidential choice, Bob Barr? Uh, yeah right. Could've gone ahead and voted Newt, or "W', or McCain. Same difference!

A few conventions ago their primary focus, as aired all day on C-Span before national TV, was an intense platform concentrated on legalizing drugs. PERIOD, all day long it was the theme of the convention. And party members wondered why the support wasn't there for their candidates.

Until we have candidates that we KNOW will abide by constitutional limits, small government and respect for individual rights, I have NO idea what the answer is...

"the tea party sure is fun to watch"

Voters of both parties putting an end to their continuing support of these clowns returning to office would be a start. Being a libertarian my obvious choice would be voting libertarian or other third party selection, one that would truly represent smaller government and a president and congress held in check by the constitution. But sadly their is no such candidate. At least not yet.

The libertarians' last presidential choice, Bob Barr? Uh, yeah right. Could've gone ahead and voted Newt, or "W', or McCain. Same difference!

A few conventions ago their primary focus, as aired all day on C-Span before national TV, was an intense platform concentrated on legalizing drugs. PERIOD, all day long it was the theme of the convention. And party members wondered why the support wasn't there for their candidates.

Until we have candidates that we KNOW will abide by constitutional limits, small government and respect for individual rights, I have NO idea what the answer is...

Exactly. Who knows, maybe the TP is the very tip towards that change . . . .

The tea party could possibly be the beginning of change in politics.
I'd like to see, while support and turnout is continuing to grow, more independent candidates turn out at these events. Educate these tea party attendees and other americans watching and listening just how we can truly bring back america. Not just rag Obama and the left in order to again gain right wing control.

RE: What would I sugguest?

We need to change the way we elect our party nominees. The majority of republicans and democrats have to sit around and wait for a few other states to vote in the primaries and select a candidate. President Clinton and President Bush both won a second term and their supporting parties called it a great success. Really? In Clinton's run for re-election it was against BoB Dole and Bush's second run was against John Kerry. They were these best contenders we had? President Obama won in 2008 by a landslide. But, once again, look who he ran against. John McCain is practically a moderate and the majoirty of consevatives didn't support him.

George Washington served as our country's first president because he was asked to. He had returned home after the war and the people knocked on his door and asked him to serve. He was reluctant. His response was "haven't I done enough?" Washington served because he felt that it was his calling. Today, politicians decide they want to run for president. They raise millions of dollars, make their announcement on television, then appear in the debates with nine others who have done the same. Let's abandoned this process and let the people nominate the candidates.

Last edited:

vote for anyone who voted against the patrioct act, iraq war, bailouts, and medicare part D. then you have found a small government person you can trust.

None of the above in November, for starters.
That's really silly since someone will win. Pick one.

Exactly. Who knows, maybe the TP is the very tip towards that change . . . .

Somebody on another thread said its interesting that conservatives are now approving demonstrations when they condemned those done by the Left. But the Tea Parties really are different. They are not targeted at persons or actions but rather are targeted at a principle of preserving what has made America great and the Constitution that made that possible. Yes, they are criticizing the actions of people in power and naming names, but their purpose is not to destroy anybody but rather to regain something that they believe was very good.

The Obama Administration and its surrogates are doing their damndest to defang, diminish, discredit, and as much as possible destroy the Tea Party movement, and they are almost certainly having some success among some groups. But overall, Rasmussen has been tracking the phenomenon and month by month, more and more Americans are identifying with the Tea Parties--the positives are steadily rising while the negatives are falling.

Most recently--I'm working from memory here so my numbers may be a bit off--I think the latest figures on those identifying with the Tea Partiers was 50+% of Republicans, 38%independents, and 18% Democrats. And well over 50% now view the Tea Partiers favorably.

Such numbers don't suggest it being a bad idea.

Forum List

Back