Tea Partiers distribute signs paid for by RNC

It is not too late for the Democrats to jump on board and support the Tea Party. Cash, check or credit card?

[SIZE=+1]Slappy's wife is a teabagger[/SIZE]
Link
Excerpt:
As Virginia Thomas tells it in her soft-spoken, white cadence, the story of her involvement in the "tea bagger" movement is the tale of an average citizen in action. "I am an ordinary citizen from Omaha, Neb., who just may have the chance to preserve liberty along with you and other people like you," she said at a recent panel discussion with tea party leaders in Washington. Thomas went on to count herself among those energized into action by President Obama's "hard-left agenda." But Thomas is no ordinary activist. She is the white wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence "Slappy" Thomas, and she has launched a tea-bagger group that could test the traditional notions of political impartiality for the court. In January, Virginia Thomas created Liberty Central Inc., a nonprofit teabagging group whose website will organize activism around a set of conservative "core principles," she said. Mrs Slappy plans to issue score cards for Congress members and be involved in the November election. She said it would accept donations from corporations -- as allowed recently by the Supreme Court.
of course they will accept donations from corporations......

Link
Excerpt:
As Virginia Thomas tells it in her soft-spoken, white cadence, the story of her involvement in the "tea bagger" movement is the tale of an average citizen in action. "I am an ordinary citizen from Omaha, Neb., who just may have the chance to preserve liberty along with you and other people like you," she said at a recent panel discussion with tea party leaders in Washington. Thomas went on to count herself among those energized into action by President Obama's "hard-left agenda." But Thomas is no ordinary activist. She is the white wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence "Slappy" Thomas, and she has launched a tea-bagger group that could test the traditional notions of political impartiality for the court. In January, Virginia Thomas created Liberty Central Inc., a nonprofit teabagging group whose website will organize activism around a set of conservative "core principles," she said. Mrs Slappy plans to issue score cards for Congress members and be involved in the November election. She said it would accept donations from corporations -- as allowed recently by the Supreme Court.

Slappy? Is that like calling Obama Buckwheat or Stymie?

Does it bother you that she's white, or rather how much does it bother you that she's white?

Link
Excerpt:

This is the first link I've seen stating Liberty Central was started in January. I wonder what date? The Citizens United decision was released January 25, with Justice Thomas voting in the majority. The Court's decision was actually reached long enough before that for the decision to be written, edited, approved and prepared for release. Exactly what date, who knows?

Mind boggling bias of this article aside, there are some troubling implications here beyond whether a Justice is partisan. Like we needed a roadmap to figure out how most of the Justices vote, Thomas included. But ruling on a case with direct financial implications for his wife's organization? Wouldn't be the first SCOTUS Justice involved with a conflict of interest, but it's disppointing.

Not familiar with the part of the Constitution that eliminates rights for the spouses of Supreme Court justices Canuck. Mind citing where that is?

The Tea Party is at the fringes and/or the edges of the Republican Party, not its center.

You have reading comprehension problems. The RNC is smack dab in the CENTER of political activity AND the teabaggers have accepted, no embraced, corporate sponsorship (corporations that are also in bed with the RNC). Thus, it is not a "grass roots" movement. Astroturf is apt.
Does an original thought ever go through your brain? Thought not.

The fact that it isn't original shows that it's a commonly held belief.

Which says to me that it's true.

This is the first link I've seen stating Liberty Central was started in January. I wonder what date? The Citizens United decision was released January 25, with Justice Thomas voting in the majority. The Court's decision was actually reached long enough before that for the decision to be written, edited, approved and prepared for release. Exactly what date, who knows?

Mind boggling bias of this article aside, there are some troubling implications here beyond whether a Justice is partisan. Like we needed a roadmap to figure out how most of the Justices vote, Thomas included. But ruling on a case with direct financial implications for his wife's organization? Wouldn't be the first SCOTUS Justice involved with a conflict of interest, but it's disppointing.

This group was formed after the decision came down if I remember correctly. My original thread I posted talks about the facts and problems of this.

She doesn't even have to give full disclosure of donors legally.

This group was formed after the decision came down if I remember correctly. My original thread I posted talks about the facts and problems of this.

She doesn't even have to give full disclosure of donors legally.

I'll have to look into this one - and look up your thread. :)

Dates of "decision" and "incorporation" can be misleading - those are both when the processes are completed, but the process for both takes a while.

Not that anybody could do anything about it, the SCOTUS is also the final arbiter of ethics. But it looks bad IMO. I never had much respect for Thomas as a Justice, but I did have the impression he was ethical.

The Tea Party is at the fringes and/or the edges of the Republican Party, not its center.

You have reading comprehension problems. The RNC is smack dab in the CENTER of political activity AND the teabaggers have accepted, no embraced, corporate sponsorship (corporations that are also in bed with the RNC). Thus, it is not a "grass roots" movement. Astroturf is apt.

No reading comprehension problems here.
But it does appear that you do have problems with being conveniently disingenuous. If not, why did you need to go to all the trouble to de-link my post with your full post so everyone could not see the full context? At any rate I linked to it and quoted both again below with my full unedited comment, responding to your full and unedited dictionary reference:

Grass roots does not mean that cooperation and collaboration with existing organizations is verboten.

Um, yes. It kinda does. It also is negated by the teabaggers being sponsored by corporations.

pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
People or society at a local level rather than at the center of major political activity. Often used with the.
The groundwork or source of something.
grass-roots grass'-roots' (grăs'rūts', -rʊts') adj.

Fox hosts GOP-backed Tea Party Express to deny that tea party is "Astroturf" | Media Matters for America

The KEY word in your definition that makes it in-apt is "CENTER".

Here’s one for you to comprehend:
disingenuous: (adjective)
1. withholding information
withholding or not taking account of known information

Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)

Mr. Peepers (from above)
The RNC is smack dab in the CENTER of political activity AND the teabaggers have accepted, no embraced, corporate sponsorship (corporations that are also in bed with the RNC). Thus, it is not a "grass roots" movement. Astroturf is apt.

It must seem that way to some since real "grass roots" participation is something those in the bussed in renta-mob are foreign to. Some only see the world through the filter of their own world view and petty schemes.

scheme (noun)
1. secret plot
a secret and cunning plan especially one designed to cause damage or harm (luckily we got wise to their little scheme.)
(Encarta Dictionary)

Last edited:
I think it is the RNC that moved from center. Your point of reference is off. The Tea Party's function will probably be to move them back into position.

Tea Partiers distribute signs paid for by RNC | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

The Republican National Committee is paying for signs and political buttons used by Tea Party groups — despite widespread disagreement among the conservative, grassroots activists on whether the movement should work to elect candidates within the Republican party or steer clear from it.

The items, paid for by the RNC, were on full display at a Friday press conference of Tea Party activists in Washington. At the afternoon event at the Capitol Hill Suites, activists in town for the “Take the Town Halls to Washington” project passed out the red-white-and-blue buttons and signs emblazoned with the words “Listen to Me!”

Text at the bottom of the sign reads: “Paid for by the Republican National Committee.”

Michael Patrick Leahy, an organizer of the Take the Town Halls to Washington project that is bringing Tea Party activists to the capital to lobby Democrats on President Obama’s health-care bill, admitted that the RNC “did provide the signage,” but said he didn’t know the details of the arrangement with Republicans and couldn’t explain how the signs got there. “They just showed up,” he said.

An RNC official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told The Daily Caller that the signs were given to the group at its request.

The buttons and signs were visible both at the press conference and inside “the war room,” a small area inside the hotel where the “Take the Town Halls to Washington” project is headquartered. A stack of signs sat on a chair in the conference room during the presser.

Leahy downplayed the significance of the items, explaining, “We’re taking help from anybody that has an interest in this cause.”

Of course, such facts will be downplayed by those who defend the tea party movement to the death and ignore such problems like this with the movement.

the "They did it too!" defense?

:eek:

two wrongs always make a rightie, right. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
I voted for Barry, and bought and read his book "Conscience of a Conservative." I plead ignorant or woefully forgetful, unless you are talking about the advancing Liberal/Statist movement. Please fill me in; what movement did he warn about during 1964 if not the one to which I just referred?

Strike that, it wasn't 1964. 1980's. So roughly 30 years later.

I speak of the involvement of the religious right in the GOP. Which by 2010, has taken over the GOP.

Barry Goldwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In his 1980 Senate reelection campaign, Goldwater won support from religious conservatives but in his final term voted consistently to uphold legalized abortion and, in 1981, gave a speech on how he was angry about the bullying of American politicians by religious organizations, and would "fight them every step of the way".[35]

After his retirement in 1987, Goldwater described the conservative Arizona Governor Evan Mecham as "hardheaded" and called on him to resign, and two years later stated that the Republican party had been taken over by a "bunch of kooks".[36]

In a 1994 interview with the Washington Post the retired senator said,
When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.[37]

Barry, being my first presidential vote, lost me in his later years. He turned out being more of a libertarian than a conservative, it seemed to me. I think (I know) that he was Jewish; whether or not he practiced the Jewish religion, I don't know. But there was more in the past than now, a schism between Christians and Jews about the death and signinficance of Jesus Christ.

I've said right here on this forum that I am an atheist. I know lots of conservatives (as well as a lot of liberals, living as I do in a town and gown university community) and almost all the conservatives I come in contact are not at all religious, but more like me, irreligious. So being, I bring it up when I suspect that we may be so aligned. Those who are religious, I am sensitive to, their beliefs are there own responsibility. But except for a few of the charismatic fundamentalist or “fire-and-brimstone” types I find the religious people I do know to be unassuming, generous, and not at all presumptuous about the beliefs or even the "souls" of others. I think that those such as Pat Robertson and some others get a lot more media coverage than they deserve. That is so as to charge guilt by association, all conservatives, stamping them all of the same cloth.

One thing I wholly agree with them on is that life should be taken only in special circumstances, and never for the sake of convenience, or scientific experiment. It is better to err on the side of life than death, at least in civil society; acts of war not-withstanding. I believe there is no liberty if there is no preservation of life, so murder in the womb is the ultimate deprivation of liberty.

Another thing I agree on: I’m willing to accept the religious beliefs in the founding documents that we get our liberty or freedom from “god.” That statement, once accepted, makes my or your liberty irrevocable, except by some entity greater than any ordinary man. I like that concept, and feel a little safer for it for all of us.

Last edited:
Tea Partiers distribute signs paid for by RNC | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

The Republican National Committee is paying for signs and political buttons used by Tea Party groups — despite widespread disagreement among the conservative, grassroots activists on whether the movement should work to elect candidates within the Republican party or steer clear from it.

The items, paid for by the RNC, were on full display at a Friday press conference of Tea Party activists in Washington. At the afternoon event at the Capitol Hill Suites, activists in town for the “Take the Town Halls to Washington” project passed out the red-white-and-blue buttons and signs emblazoned with the words “Listen to Me!”

Text at the bottom of the sign reads: “Paid for by the Republican National Committee.”

Michael Patrick Leahy, an organizer of the Take the Town Halls to Washington project that is bringing Tea Party activists to the capital to lobby Democrats on President Obama’s health-care bill, admitted that the RNC “did provide the signage,” but said he didn’t know the details of the arrangement with Republicans and couldn’t explain how the signs got there. “They just showed up,” he said.

An RNC official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told The Daily Caller that the signs were given to the group at its request.

The buttons and signs were visible both at the press conference and inside “the war room,” a small area inside the hotel where the “Take the Town Halls to Washington” project is headquartered. A stack of signs sat on a chair in the conference room during the presser.

Leahy downplayed the significance of the items, explaining, “We’re taking help from anybody that has an interest in this cause.”

Of course, such facts will be downplayed by those who defend the tea party movement to the death and ignore such problems like this with the movement.

Helloooooooooooooo, the tea party is TAKING BACK their party and that is the Republican party.

There are hundreds and hundreds of tea party groups across the country. Some have close relationships with the RNC and some don't.

Freedom of association - it's a wonderful thing.

But by definition, none of them should have close relationships with the RNC. Especially the largest ones who are going to D.C.

How you think it's okay for a grassroots movement to have ties to the RNC is boggling.

:lol::lol::lol:--as a tea partier I make it my own sign--it's a lot more fun. Could it be that the RNC has invaded some tea party meetings?:lol::lol::lol:

Here's a great tea party sign:

$Ram it down.jpg

Yes. There is nothing wrong with a Tea Party getting help from the RNC as long as they disclose that info. It's up to the local members. There is no National Tea Party Command & Control Organization.

Grass roots does not mean that cooperation and collaboration with existing organizations is verboten.

Am I the only idiot here who thought I remembered Tea Baggers stating that independent thinking came from NOT being in bed with either one of the two large National political parties?

No, you are absolutely right!!! It's like the He Man Woman Haters Club letting girls join all of a sudden!!! :lol:

Forum List

Back