Taxes.. How much is TOO MUCH?

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
According to this article on average it takes 99 days to pay this year's tax obligations at the federal, state and local levels. This doesn't include all the tricky little fees and so forth thrown in.

It's different depending on your income..etc for example the total tax percentage paid by the above average (US citizen, 2005) - 54.4% and the Tax Foundation's numbers are closer to 34% for the actual "average" US citizen.

So anyway... How much is too much?
--------------------------
Tax Freedom Day will arrive on April 9 this year, the 99th day of 2010, according to our annual calculation using the latest government data on income and taxes. Americans will work well over three months of the year—from January 1 to April 9—before they have earned enough money to pay this year's tax obligations at the federal, state and local levels.

This year's Tax Freedom Day is one day later than in 2009, but more than two weeks earlier than in 2007. The shift toward a lower tax burden since 2007 has been driven by three factors: (1) The recession has reduced tax collections even faster than it has reduced income; (2) President Obama and the Congress have enacted large but temporary income tax cuts for 2009 and 2010, just as President Bush did in 2008; and (3) Two significant taxes were repealed for 2010 as part of previous legislation, the estate tax and the so-called PEP and Pease provisions of the income tax.

Despite all these tax reductions, Americans will pay more taxes in 2010 than they will spend on food, clothing and shelter combined.

The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

How much tax do we really pay?

Taxes isn't really the issue, the issue is the gov keeps spending and will try to justify higher taxes to pay for all teh debt they just added.

Had they been fiscally responsible from the start, people probaly would not object to a SMALL tax increase.

That boat has not only now sailed, its on the bottom of the ocean.

Ame®icano;2199309 said:
Well, apparantly for 50% of the population, there can NEVER be too much taxes!

Wondering what would be ethnic background of those 50%.

Which would have what to do with what?

What, I can't know?

If census bureau can ask me what is my ethnic background for their statistics, why can't I ask the same question?

Would you like to know who's paying taxes and who's not?

Taxes isn't really the issue, the issue is the gov keeps spending and will try to justify higher taxes to pay for all teh debt they just added.

Had they been fiscally responsible from the start, people probaly would not object to a SMALL tax increase.

That boat has not only now sailed, its on the bottom of the ocean.

We haven't seen bottom yet.

Bottom will be when those who were promised to get entitlements stop getting them because government can't pay. That's going to hurt.

Ame®icano;2199535 said:
Ame®icano;2199309 said:
Wondering what would be ethnic background of those 50%.

Which would have what to do with what?

What, I can't know?

If census bureau can ask me what is my ethnic background for their statistics, why can't I ask the same question?

Would you like to know who's paying taxes and who's not?

not much but it's a start

Statistics on Taxes and Spending by Race? Guy White: Making Sense On Race

When the states start seceding and the second Civil War starts, you'll know taxes have gone to far.

According to this article on average it takes 99 days to pay this year's tax obligations at the federal, state and local levels. This doesn't include all the tricky little fees and so forth thrown in.

It's different depending on your income..etc for example the total tax percentage paid by the above average (US citizen, 2005) - 54.4% and the Tax Foundation's numbers are closer to 34% for the actual "average" US citizen.

So anyway... How much is too much?
--------------------------
Tax Freedom Day will arrive on April 9 this year, the 99th day of 2010, according to our annual calculation using the latest government data on income and taxes. Americans will work well over three months of the year—from January 1 to April 9—before they have earned enough money to pay this year's tax obligations at the federal, state and local levels.

This year's Tax Freedom Day is one day later than in 2009, but more than two weeks earlier than in 2007. The shift toward a lower tax burden since 2007 has been driven by three factors: (1) The recession has reduced tax collections even faster than it has reduced income; (2) President Obama and the Congress have enacted large but temporary income tax cuts for 2009 and 2010, just as President Bush did in 2008; and (3) Two significant taxes were repealed for 2010 as part of previous legislation, the estate tax and the so-called PEP and Pease provisions of the income tax.

Despite all these tax reductions, Americans will pay more taxes in 2010 than they will spend on food, clothing and shelter combined.

The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

How much tax do we really pay?

Great topic and most appropriate this week of all weeks when a number of us are wondering if we'll finish this year's tax return by the 15th or file another extension instead.

The stats putting tax freedom day on April 9, of course, is an average of all taxpayers. Given a discussion on another thread in which it is determined that almost 50% of Americans pay no federal income taxes at all, I am guessing that a large number of Americans reach their tax freedom day much closer to the middle of the year or even beyond.

In answer to the OP question however, how much in taxes is too much?

In my opinion, any Federal taxes more than is necessary to adhere to the stated Constitutional functions of the Federal government are too much.

At the state and local level, that is for the people of those states and communities to work out.

I think only tax payers should be allowed to answer this one...

Answer: Anytime half of the country pays enough taxes for the whole country that is too high.

Forum List

Back