Zone1 Tap Dancing in My Head

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
I don't know why, but every time I read a dispute about rules...who makes the rules....why are there rules....why I gotta follow the rules....I picture tap dancing in my head.

Mute this video, right? And maybe add the words below, like a slightly cheesy 30s dance tune. I mean you got everything here, from a mod giving it to the little kid at the beginning, holding the whole board in thrall, two goofy "fiddle players", someone's gonna get a beat down with a broom at some point...idk what's going on with the tap dancing with roller skates on.

Rules! Why there gotta be rules!
Who makes these rules for us
And rules for me!

Etc

I don't know why, but every time I read a dispute about rules...who makes the rules....why are there rules....why I gotta follow the rules....I picture tap dancing in my head.

Mute this video, right? And maybe add the words below, like a slightly cheesy 30s dance tune. I mean you got everything here, from a mod giving it to the little kid at the beginning, holding the whole board in thrall, two goofy "fiddle players", someone's gonna get a beat down with a broom at some point...idk what's going on with the tap dancing with roller skates on.

Who makes these rules for us
And rules for me!

Etc

I'm glad to hear that somebody else hears the music when the topic of rules comes up. My reaction is typically more of a warm smile when rules are on my mind, but sometimes I am humming songs.

I've seen that rules can really help to create a nice community environment, based on my experiences on non-political forums where the rules cannot be used for, or even perceived as being used to effect the outcome of a discussion by rule enforcers. Rules on non political forums keep business solicitations away, they keep topics organized, (I love organization), and they keep people on topic. Indeed, site rules are music to my ears.

I'm glad to hear that somebody else hears the music when the topic of rules comes up. My reaction is typically more of a warm smile when rules are on my mind, but sometimes I am humming songs.

I've seen that rules can really help to create a nice community environment, based on my experiences on non-political forums where the rules cannot be used for, or even perceived as being used to effect the outcome of a discussion by rule enforcers. Rules on non political forums keep business solicitations away, they keep topics organized, (I love organization), and they keep people on topic. Indeed, site rules are music to my ears.

Agreed. I think the tap dancing comes in because....just dancing round and round and round the round the topic all the time? I don't know. But I agree that forums without rules are Law of the Jungle and too many rules are just a drag. This place is pretty even handed.

Agreed. I think the tap dancing comes in because....just dancing round and round and round the round the topic all the time? I don't know. But I agree that forums without rules are Law of the Jungle and too many rules are just a drag. This place is pretty even handed.
I don't think I've ever been cited on this site for breaking rules, but that is because I don't break them. I enjoy the benefits that site rules provide. The rules for this site are pretty standard, right on par with non political forum sites. When you get to forums where politics are being discussed though, we inevitably see corruption and exploitation of rules by those who enforce them. Politics are one of the few themes where rule enforcers are tempted to, and often engage in exploiting the rules to effect the outcomes of discussion. This doesn't happen on gardening or engineering forums, but politics are different. It is pretty easy for a rule enforcer to allege trolling in order to justify censorship, if the rule enforcer has authority to interpret anything they want to as trolling. Not all enforcers exploit rules to effect outcomes like this, and not everybody experiences the negative effects of it, but it happens on political sites. Where there is power, there is corruption. Money, sexual attractiveness, authority, and other forms of power are all infected with corruption. Power and authority mixed with political discussions leads to inevitable corruption. That's where the music of a well regulated site ends.

When you get to forums where politics are being discussed though, we inevitably see corruption and exploitation of rules by those who enforce them.

Here is my analogy:

You enter a freeway with a posted speed of 65. A few people are going 65, but most are going 70-75, with some going 90 or more. You decide to settle in at a comfortable 67, and notice a cop car with the cop inside smiling and waving at those who are driving 90, and so you inch up your speed to 68. A little while later, the cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket, and when you question them about smiling at the most reckless drivers ,all they do is tell you "you know the rules".

It has been my experience that few moderators ever have any actual management experience. Instead, it is usually a case of those who WANT some control over others and in too many cases, those people want control over others as a sign of validation. It's like being that level 98 paladin in a game in that people who are very unimportant in real life gravitate towards the power they can achieve anonymously. It goes to their head.

Malignant egos too often find themselves in a position where dominating others in discussion groups provides them that sense of self-worth they lack in real life.

Here is my analogy:

You enter a freeway with a posted speed of 65. A few people are going 65, but most are going 70-75, with some going 90 or more. You decide to settle in at a comfortable 67, and notice a cop car with the cop inside smiling and waving at those who are driving 90, and so you inch up your speed to 68. A little while later, the cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket, and when you question them about smiling at the most reckless drivers ,all they do is tell you "you know the rules".

It has been my experience that few moderators ever have any actual management experience. Instead, it is usually a case of those who WANT some control over others and in too many cases, those people want control over others as a sign of validation. It's like being that level 98 paladin in a game in that people who are very unimportant in real life gravitate towards the power they can achieve anonymously. It goes to their head.

Malignant egos too often find themselves in a position where dominating others in discussion groups provides them that sense of self-worth they lack in real life.
Become a mod and enjoy the power…

For me I will just sit here and laugh…

I run a successful business.

I already have more power over others than I really desire.
So… Gain more power and join the Dark side…

Rules are not universal on these boards and you know this and moderators are like judges and one may interpret a rule one way and another mod will interpret it another way, so let be clear there is no way to know how the ruling will be…

All you can do is flip the system the bird and just write your opinion of things and if a Mod hates you just know you did something right…

I know, maybe better than others. It's a fine thread, interpreting the rules. It's a better tap-dance than Christopher Walken sometimes. So, I'll stick to the bowels of the forum on something iffy.

Here is my analogy:

You been travelling I-45, I see. :lmao:

Forum List

Back