Tamales?

I was surprised when I did my search. The corn bread tamale pie and some hand made ''real tamales '' are on my list of things to try.
I love tamales. One of my favorite foods. I prefer the pork, but chicken and beef are good as well. I enjoy a good tamale pie too. Surprisingly, McCormick made a packaged tamale pie meal back in the 70's that I felt was pretty good, but they have since discontinued it.

My first wife was Mexican
Let me tell you about the Tamales her aunts made when visiting.
God they were awesome. Absolutely NOTHING like any I have had anywhere in any "Mexican" restaurant.
They were amazing. And took them all morning to make.
The ones made with Verde sauce I like the best. Which contrary to popular belief that it is made with green tomatoes, it is made with roasting Tomatillos, a very popular fruit in Mexico that is not a tomato, just looks like green tomatoes.

I here ya.
I was engaged to a mexican girl who couldnt cook for shit. Her mother on the other hand was a wiz in the kitchen.
She'd make mexican dishes I've never even heard of and they were bad ass!!!

I love tamales. One of my favorite foods. I prefer the pork, but chicken and beef are good as well. I enjoy a good tamale pie too. Surprisingly, McCormick made a packaged tamale pie meal back in the 70's that I felt was pretty good, but they have since discontinued it.
Ah tamale pie, wow it has been yeeaars since I had one.

I here ya.
I was engaged to a mexican girl who couldnt cook for shit. Her mother on the other hand was a wiz in the kitchen.
She'd make mexican dishes I've never even heard of and they were bad ass!!!
My first wife's family owns a restaurant in Aguascalientes. So I got some amazing food when they visited up here.
Mexican food has one thing in common with Italian food... fresh ingredients made from the ground up. NO prepared ingredients. Everything is fresh and at it's peak.
So unlike American cooking.

View attachment 532740So the tamales I have had in the past was meat filled cornmeal . Nothing like this. So I have been fooled all these years.
They're cooked in the corn husks. It's cornmeal and meat usually pork. My grandmother used to make them. In fact, I'm thinking of trying to talk my kid into making some with me this Christmas.
We used to buy them on the corner when I was kid in Tucson. Now we do business in the parking lots of grocery stores.

Forum List

Back