Talladega Nights...see it or not?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I am not a huge NASCAR fan, but I love to watch the races when I can and usually do have it on in the background at least just to catch any great wrecks and keep up on who's in the top 10.

So...when I heard about this movie, I was naturally curious. Then I saw Will Ferrell stars in it. Now, Will Ferrell is a hit or miss guy in my opinion. He's funny for a while, but it seems like he just doesn't know when it isn't funny anymore. Some of his movies are just plain stupid because he plays the same kind of character/personality in every one.

When I saw the ads for Talladega Nights, I was thinking it was a more serious film. But I realized that Will Ferrell is in it, so it is unlikely that it was. IMDB dubbs it as an action/comedy.

What I want to know, is it a spoof of NASCAR, poking fun of it? Will Ferrell is the last person I would think of when I think of racing and anything related to it.

I want to see the movie, but I don't want to see it if all it is going to be is two hours of insulting Nascar fans, even if it is subtle or even unintentional.

I have a sense of humor and don't mind the occasional 'redneck' jokes about Nascar fans because I can take a joke and being teased, but after a while, it gets irritating and I start getting pissed if it continues because someone doesn't know when to quit.

So, should I see it or not?

Looks like a spoof of sorts...'help me Jesus, help me Tom Cruise' said Will Farrell running around in his underwear on the track thinking his clothes are on fire.

Said1 said:
Looks like a spoof of sorts...'help me Jesus, help me Tom Cruise' said Will Farrell running around in his underwear on the track thinking his clothes are on fire.
sounds like the scene in Old School where he gets drunk and runs naked thru the campus. See what I mean? He plays the same kind of guy in all of his movies. He has this thing with the half-yelling when he talks, like he's trying to be serious but funny at the same time... i dunno.. Tim wants to wait until DVD for this one.

I definitely want to see it, but I definitely think it'll be a spoof. Or, maybe not a spoof, but definitely an absurdist comedy along the lines of Anchorman. Have you seen the commercial with the cougar in the car?

And, judging from the commercials, there probably will be some poking fun at rednecks ("meet my sons, Walker and Texas Ranger"), but I have enough faith in the writing team and the actors.....

I mean, c'mon:

Directed by & cowritten by Adam McKay (Anchorman, most of the funny stuff on Ferrell's SNL era)

Gary Cole (Office Space, Harvey Birdman)
Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G)
John C. Reilly
Will Ferrell
David Koechner

the list goes on and on.... I'm really expecting it to be great, even though I think that Tom Cruise joke is pretty lame and will probably make the movie seem outdated in six months.

This will be a renter for me. Not a big Will Ferrell guy, though he has his moments. I seem to like him better in small doses, when he isn't the main focus of a movie, like in Old School or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

It looks like it might be funny the first time, but not much repeat viewing value. So, definately a rental and not a purchase on DVD.

Dan said:
Directed by & cowritten by Adam McKay (Anchorman, most of the funny stuff on Ferrell's SNL era)

Gary Cole (Office Space, Harvey Birdman)
Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G)
John C. Reilly
Will Ferrell
David Koechner

the list goes on and on.... I'm really expecting it to be great, even though I think that Tom Cruise joke is pretty lame and will probably make the movie seem outdated in six months.

Sacha Baron Cohen is who I am most anxious to see, really. Mostly because I love Ali G and his 'Throw the Jew down the Well' song...Plus his voice over in Madagascar as Julien was hilarious.

Maybe SBC will carry the movie. I think we'll hit the matinee on this one just in case it is not that great, and we didn't spend the extra $6.50 on the tickets.

Sacha Baron Cohen is who I am most anxious to see, really. Mostly because I love Ali G and his 'Throw the Jew down the Well' song...Plus his voice over in Madagascar as Julien was hilarious.

I didn't even know that was him in Madagascar!

Well, I doubt he'll really support the movie himself (it looks like a Will Ferrell vehicle above all else), but the Borat movie is coming out in September or October, and from what I've heard from people who've seen advanced screenings, it's one of the funniest movies ever.

Dan said:
I didn't even know that was him in Madagascar!

Well, I doubt he'll really support the movie himself (it looks like a Will Ferrell vehicle above all else), but the Borat movie is coming out in September or October, and from what I've heard from people who've seen advanced screenings, it's one of the funniest movies ever.

"What is a bite on the butt amongst friends? Here, give me a nibble."

New Topics

Forum List

Back