Taliban facing 'financial crisis', general claims

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Taliban facing 'financial crisis', general claims - Telegraph

With drug labs and supply routes under growing pressure, the insurgents have less than half the cash they had a year ago, said Major General Richard Mills, who leads coalition troops in Helmand province, the key poppy-growing region for the Taliban.

"We have intelligence that indicates to us he has a financial crisis on his hands, he has a cash flow problem," Maj Gen Mills said of the Taliban.

He said coalition and local forces were making steady progress in Marjah and across Helmand province, and that the Afghan army and police soon could be ready to take over security duties in some districts.
"I do believe in the coming months ahead there will be areas in which we can turn over a significant portion of the security to them for their execution," Mills said.

This is certainly good news to see.

That is great news.

I hope we can all join forces and not give them any help in raising money, its time to stop pretending all of Islam is the enemy.

Isn't this what the left would call a great opportunity to 'win hearts and minds'? When's Obama gonna send them some stimulus money.... After all, y'all gave BP $300m in stimulus funding.

Isn't this what the left would call a great opportunity to 'win hearts and minds'? When's Obama gonna send them some stimulus money.... After all, y'all gave BP $300m in stimulus funding.

So do you have anything actually useful to contribute? Just wondering.

She cant say anything unless she gets her dads approval

Last edited by a moderator:

So do you have anything actually useful to contribute? Just wondering.

That was useful. Write 'em a check, buy their 'hearts and minds'.... Isn't that the simplistic intellect of the left... After all, Obama handed BP$300m in stimulus funding so, in effect, the US taxpayer is paying for the clean up.

Fucking idiot.

That was useful. Write 'em a check, buy their 'hearts and minds'.... Isn't that the simplistic intellect of the left... After all, Obama handed BP$300m in stimulus funding so, in effect, the US taxpayer is paying for the clean up.

Fucking idiot.

You know, you're the one that brought partisanship into this thread. Even TM managed to not do so in her first post. Can we have one thread that doesn't involve Obama or similar topic that every single thread is turned into?

Fucking idiot.

You know, you're the one that brought partisanship into this thread. Even TM managed to not do so in her first post. Can we have one thread that doesn't involve Obama or similar topic that every single thread is turned into?

No, she made a reference to my family though, which is against the Terms of the board. And you're a fucking Mod.

No, she made a reference to my family though, which is against the Terms of the board. And you're a fucking Mod.

If you have a problem with a poster's post, please go through the proper channels by reporting that post and refraining from doing so in public. Thanks.

The Pakistanis, in the form of the ISI will make up any shortfall.

Pakistani agents 'funding and training Afghan Taliban'

Pakistani intelligence gives funding, training and sanctuary to the Afghan Taliban on a scale much larger than previously thought, a report says.

Taliban field commanders interviewed for the report suggested that ISI intelligence agents even attend Taliban supreme council meetings.

Support for the Afghan Taliban was "official ISI policy", the London School of Economics (LSE) authors suggest.

Pakistan's military denied the claims.

A spokesman said the allegations were "rubbish" and part of a malicious campaign against the country's military and security agencies.

The LSE report comes at the end of one of the deadliest weeks for Nato troops in Afghanistan, with more than 30 soldiers killed.

Links between the Taliban and Pakistan's intelligence service have long been suspected, but the report's author - Harvard analyst Matt Waldman - says there is real evidence of extensive co-operation between the two.

BBC News - Pakistani agents 'funding and training Afghan Taliban'

Pakistani intelligence gives funding, training and sanctuary to the Afghan Taliban on a scale much larger than previously thought, a report says.

Taliban field commanders interviewed for the report suggested that ISI intelligence agents even attend Taliban supreme council meetings.

Support for the Afghan Taliban was "official ISI policy", the London School of Economics (LSE) authors suggest.

A spokesman said the allegations were "rubbish" and part of a malicious campaign against the country's military and security agencies.

The LSE report comes at the end of one of the deadliest weeks for Nato troops in Afghanistan, with more than 30 soldiers killed.

Links between the Taliban and Pakistan's intelligence service have long been suspected, but the report's author - Harvard analyst Matt Waldman - says there is real evidence of extensive co-operation between the two.

You sure about that? Considering the crisis that Pakistan is going through right now, I'd be surprised if they can afford to do so as they use to.

You sure about that? Considering the crisis that Pakistan is going through right now, I'd be surprised if they can afford to do so as they use to.

Don't you read the news. This has been in the public forum for a couple of years. The Pakis have a vested interest in keeping India out of the sphere of influence in Afghanistan. They see keeping the insurgency alive as the best way of doing this.

Don't you read the news. This has been in the public forum for a couple of years. The Pakis have a vested interest in keeping India out of the sphere of influence in Afghanistan. They see keeping the insurgency alive as the best way of doing this.

I read the news. What I'm referring to is the flood that has Pakistan and has made it what the U.N is calling the worst natural disaster in history. Even if Pakistan wants to fund the insurgency, going to be more difficult considering recent events.

I read the news. What I'm referring to is the flood that has Pakistan and has made it what the U.N is calling the worst natural disaster in history. Even if Pakistan wants to fund the insurgency, going to be more difficult considering recent events.

It'll be fine, the west is sending billions in aid.... that should free up the necessary funding for terrorist organizations.... but, you never know.... we might just 'win their hearts and minds.'

Fucking idiot.

You have brough up your father before on this site.

I said nothing insulting to or about him.

"Attacks on family members will not be tolerated and will be subject to action by an Admin/Mod. Action taken could range from a warning to banning and will be at Admin/Mod discretion. The only exception to this is IF a member brings his/her family member(s) into the conversation first."

I did not attack your family member CG

I doubt the ISI will allow a natural disaster to stand in the way of political objectives.

You have brough up your father before on this site.

I said nothing insulting to or about him.

By inferring that I have to ask a family member about my opinion, you insult my family. The correct response - for normal people would be to apologize.... I am not surprised however that you choose to hide behind the terms of the site.

You are a cowardly, nasty, stupid person. But... I still do not hate you.

Forum List

Back