Taliban controls or contests 70 districts in Afghanistan

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Screen-Shot-2015-10-16-at-8.00.37-AM.png

And Obumbler expects 9k troops to stop this? They wouldn't be in control of those areas without the support of the local warlords and tribal chiefs.

Story @ Taliban controls or contests 70 districts in Afghanistan | The Long War Journal

This is one of the few things I have ever actually agreed with him on.

The Taliban is going to win this, whether under Bush or Obama or whomever.

It's their land, such like Vietnam and Korea, and the people who live there will decide, not us.

We should have left after punishing the Taliban and al-quada.

And Obumbler expects 9k troops to stop this? They wouldn't be in control of those areas without the support of the local warlords and tribal chiefs.

Story @ Taliban controls or contests 70 districts in Afghanistan | The Long War Journal
In 2010 Obama and Biden were singing praises to themselves about their victories in Iraq and Afghanistan.
What Obama leadership has accomplished since then.
Same problems as Bush and Cheney. Or anybody else who had been President, other than maybe McCain would have put 500,000 troops there to be sniped at. Nothing.

The Taliban are the most pleasant terrorists I know. They should not put mustard gas into girl´s classroom but hey, less Taliban than Frenchmen like ISIS in percentage and they aren´t as abusive as the west´s allies in the country. Maybe, if they´d allow education for females and television and music, they would be a good choice for the Afghans, given that the alternative is an endless war without good guys.

In 2010 Obama and Biden were singing praises to themselves about their victories in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Same problems as Bush and Cheney. Or anybody else who had been President, other than maybe McCain would have put 500,000 troops there to be sniped at. Nothing.
Munitions don't grow on trees. Problem since Korea is everyone is too pansy ass to go after the supply train. And the endless wars just keep rolling in.

Munitions don't grow on trees. Problem since Korea is everyone is too pansy ass to go after the supply train. And the endless wars just keep rolling in.
The levers of war have changed. We are not going to play hardball with a nation that has a thousand nukes. Neither are they. Major powers use fairly few of their own troops and lots of proxies now..

Taliban expanding their control of Afghan territory...

Taliban insurgents expanding territorial control in Afghanistan
Tuesday 20th October, 2015 - Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan are expanding their reach and territorial command and are now in effective control of at least 36 districts after overrunning another district in the northwestern province of Faryab where at least 22 policemen have been killed in clashes, security officials said.
The officials speaking on condition of anonymity said the Taliban have abducted the police chief, Abdul Majeed Gilimbafi, along with many of his men in the Ghormach district of the Faryab province. The militants have threatened to execute the police chief in public Gilimbafi and his men were detained Monday and their whereabouts were unknown till Wednesday morning. Spokesman of Afghanistan's interior ministry Sediq Sediqqi said that the men had not been heard from since Monday, a day after the Taliban takeover of the district. The armed group's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, confirmed that the militants had captured the wounded police chief and 14 other policemen. "We (have) held them captive. We can't say what we will ask in return for their freedom, but we will make an announcement soon," Mujahid said. "The police chief is injured but still alive."

b3fad7764c2fb644.jpg

A motley crew of Talibanis​

Officials said that an Afghan Army base of several hundred soldiers and a road-construction camp housing Afghan police officers remained surrounded by the Taliban amid an intensifying battle. A jittery Afghan government has sent reinforcements to the Faryab province and First Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum, a former rebel commander with no formal position in the military, would coordinate operations there. Afghan forces are also battling Taliban in many other districts in the volatile south. "We are facing security problems in at least nine districts," Sediqqi said. Over the last few days, the Taliban have overrun checkpoints near Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital of southern Helmand Province. They have also repeatedly attacked two districts in Herat Province. Fierce fighting continued late into Tuesday in Ghurian and Shindand, home to an air base in western Afghanistan.

The Taliban are currently in control of 36 Afghan districts and are now targeting to gain control of at least 35 more districts of Afghanistan's 398, according to the data compiled by The Long War Journal. "The group has made a push to gain territory over the past several weeks and seized a dozen districts in the north, west, and south," the Journal said in its data analysis. "The situation in Faryab somewhat mirrors that of Kunduz, where the Taliban took control of several districts since it launched its offensive in the province in May," explains the Journal. "After months of fighting and several failed attempts to take the capital of Kunduz City, the jihadist group succeeded in doing so on Sep 28. The Afghan military drove out the Taliban in a two-week counterattack."

Taliban insurgents expanding territorial control in Afghanistan

See also:

Taliban Kill Afghan Official
Thursday 22nd October, 2015 - Taliban insurgents gunned down a district administrator along with a bodyguard in eastern Afghanistan's militant-infested Ghazni province.
Local officials say Jaghatu District chief Mohammad Daud on his way to the provincial capital early Thursday when the militants ambushed his vehicle. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the deadly assault.

uni1445518813.jpg

Ghazni lies on the key Kabul-Kandahar Highway and Taliban militants there have conducted frequent attacks against Afghan security forces in recent days. Earlier this week, the Taliban killed 22 police officers and captured many others after overrunning Ghormach district in northwestern Faryab province. Afghan officials have confirmed the district police chief, Abdul Majeed Gilimbafi, was among the hostages, but their fate remains unclear.

Meanwhile, Afghan authorities say troops have pushed the Taliban back from Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province and regained control of the territory near the city after heavy fighting. Clashes are continuing in the area. The insurgents have long contested several districts in Helmand, one of Afghanistan's key poppy growing provinces. The Islamist insurgency had briefly overrun the key northern city of Kunduz in late September.

Taliban Kill Afghan Official

Last edited:
Afghanistan has asked India to step up supplies of lethal equipment for its military, battered by a resurgent Taliban that has claimed the lives of more than 4,000 soldiers, and led to loss of government control in large swathes of territory. The request, diplomatic sources told The Indian Express, was delivered by Afghanistan’s national security advisor, Hanif Atmar, who visited New Delhi this week. Atmar, the sources said, has asked for India to consider contributing to a long list of deficits in logistics and strike capacity, including training equipment, air and ground mobility assets, engineering infrastructure and light infantry.

Afghanistan calls on India to step up military assistance

It's their land, such like Vietnam and Korea, and the people who live there will decide, not us.

Taliban gets its "strength" from "unofficial" sources in Pakistan and "unofficial
sources thruout the 'muslim world' Taliban is the ISIS of south east asia

Taliban gets its "strength" from "unofficial" sources in Pakistan and "unofficial

ISI is not an unofficial source.

I did not so suggest. I believe that the Taliban boys-----get support and love and affection from oil rich ----"other sources" ------both in the middle east and maybe even Iran. A Pashtun caliphate seems to me a kind of delightful son acceptable in both Shiite and Sunni families-------just an opinion from a big distance------a baby
moghul empire in Afghanistan-------as far as I know there is an historic connection.
Afghanistan was once a virtual outpost of the PERSIAN empire

I did not so suggest. I believe that the Taliban boys-----get support and love and affection from oil rich ----"other sources" ------both in the middle east and maybe even Iran. A Pashtun caliphate seems to me a kind of delightful son acceptable in both Shiite and Sunni families-------just an opinion from a big distance------a baby
moghul empire in Afghanistan-------as far as I know there is an historic connection.

Taliban was a joint project of CIA and ISI. It was created to inflict casualties on Russian soldiers.

Today: Yes, the rich oil boys are pitching in with money but they are coordinated by ISI.

Taliban was a joint project of CIA and ISI. It was created to inflict casualties on Russian soldiers.

Today: Yes, the rich oil boys are pitching in with money but they are coordinated by ISI.

Ok-----sounds reasonable-----I have no way of knowing the relationship between the Taliban boys and Isis------other than the fact that I am sure they love each other. As to the role of the CIA---way back in the 1980s with the "noble"
Taliban and other Mujahadeen------I WISH TO DECLARE-------no one asked me.
Try to understand------we yanks is a bit stupid

ISIS is not buddies with the Taliban.

My point is that Afghanistan for the ghanis: let them fight it out.

If they go for the Pakistani nukes, nuke em all.

Taliban and Isis have common cause

To remove the West from their lands, yes. Are the buddies, no. Can we hold Afghanistan in the long run. No, that chance fled forever in March 2003.

To remove the West from their lands, yes. Are the buddies, no. Can we hold Afghanistan in the long run. No, that chance fled forever in March 2003.

Look again The US does not "hold" Afghanistan now

To remove the West from their lands, yes. Are they buddies, no. Can we hold Afghanistan in the long run. No, that chance fled forever in March 2003.

Look again The US does not "hold" Afghanistan now
My point exactly. Bring our troops home.

Forum List

Back