Taliban authorities destroy a poppy field in Afghanistan’s Kandahar after banning the plant

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Taliban authorities destroy a poppy field in Afghanistan’s Kandahar after banning the plant

Taliban security personnel destroy a poppy field in the Arghandab district of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan, following through on a ban on poppy cultivation announced in April 2022. The country is the world's biggest producer of poppies, the source of a sap that is refined into heroin. In recent years and since the ban, the sector has known a huge increase in production and exports.

Remote : 2023-01-22(Sunday) 13 : 40 : 17
Local : 2023-01-22(Sunday) 13 : 40 : 17

Found via https://nicer.app/news

YO TALIBAN IN AFGHANISTAN : So that's what you're doing with your new lands? Poppy cultivation and selling oil to the Chinese? Stocking up on weapons too, i suppose?
i told you we'd be back the moment you opened fire on us. now a war of attrition and suffering through heroin addictions in the west. i've seen the results first hand. utterly awful.
so i'll put some pressure on getting the Taliban dethroned over the next decades.
this was the final straw, for both you and the Chinese, with their fentanyl sh!t flooding US streets, killing a lot of children.
and if this is payback for the opium wars? then i'll call bs on that right here. it's the outright spitting in the face that you people do before embarking on real fights (terrorism, in this case).
but we got time plenty. more advanced arms than used in Ukaine too. so "good luck", and i hope you enter into that 7th Heaven of yours soon, Taliban members and alQuada(-offspring) members.

Taliban security personnel destroy a poppy field in the Arghandab district of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan, following through on a ban on poppy cultivation announced in April 2022. The country is the world's biggest producer of poppies, the source of a sap that is refined into heroin. In recent years and since the ban, the sector has known a huge increase in production and exports.

YO TALIBAN IN AFGHANISTAN : So that's what you're doing with your new lands? Poppy cultivation and selling oil to the Chinese? Stocking up on weapons too, i suppose?
i told you we'd be back the moment you opened fire on us. now a war of attrition and suffering through heroin addictions in the west. i've seen the results first hand. utterly awful.
so i'll put some pressure on getting the Taliban dethroned over the next decades.
this was the final straw, for both you and the Chinese, with their fentanyl sh!t flooding US streets, killing a lot of children.
and if this is payback for the opium wars? then i'll call bs on that right here. it's the outright spitting in the face that you people do before embarking on real fights (terrorism, in this case).
but we got time plenty. more advanced arms than used in Ukaine too. so "good luck", and i hope you enter into that 7th Heaven of yours soon, Taliban members and alQuada(-offspring) members.

Several countries grow opium poppies legally for the manufacturing of opioids. Has the Taliban contracted with the Chinese?

Afghanistan has been growing opium poppies since ... forever. Growing opium is much more profitable than growing wheat.

During the Soviet occupation of Afghanstan, the CIA was helping local warlords there grow and smuggle.

When the Taliban wasn't in power, the Taliban used drug running as a source of money.

Now that they are in power, the Taliban are making an appearance of cleaning things up. Let's hope they're sincere.

How is destroying poppy fields a bad thing?

It might just be a ruse. Why would the Taliban destroy opium poppies knowing that heroin weakens their enemies and provide a lucratives source of money for them?

They destroyed the fields before we ever invaded.

Afghanistan has been growing opium poppies since ... forever. Growing opium is much more profitable than growing wheat.

During the Soviet occupation of Afghanstan, the CIA was helping local warlords there grow and smuggle.

When the Taliban wasn't in power, the Taliban used drug running as a source of money.

Now that they are in power, the Taliban are making an appearance of cleaning things up. Let's hope they're sincere.

The Taliban put the screws to growing opium poppies. They were violently opposed to opium production.

It might just be a ruse. Why would the Taliban destroy opium poppies knowing that heroin weakens their enemies and provide a lucratives source of money for them?

The Deobandi Pashtun are religiously opposed to drugs and alcohol.. they opposed opium production. Islam forbids it.

CIA must have seriously annoyed them and this was a standard message and threat too deal elsewhere perhaps .

The Taliban put the screws to growing opium poppies. They were violently opposed to opium production.
For that I commend them. However, forbidding and banning must be followed by enforcement.

Aren't the farmers who grow it also Muslims?

Yep, but it's doubtful they are the Taliban religious nuts. Opium poppies are grown legally for the pharmaceutical industry in India, Australia and... I can't remember. Someone should broker a deal for the Taliban.

Let's see how widely their enforcement goes.

From late 2000 and the year that followed, the Taliban enforced a ban on poppy farming via threats, forced eradication, and public punishment of transgressors. The result was a 99% reduction in the area of opium poppy farming in Taliban-controlled areas.

Where have all the flowers gone?: evaluation of the Taliban crackdown against opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan

The U.S. invaded and started protecting the poppy fields. (links previously provided)

When the Taliban took over Afghanistan after the Russians were driven out of the country. They started destroying so many poppy fields. That heroin production was down 90% and the price of heroin soared in both Europe and North America.
But after 9/11 and the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, and the war against the Taliban.
Poppy cultivation was larger than ever and low priced heroin flooded the western nations.
In large part because U.S. and EU military protected the poppy fields from being destroyed.
The excuse given by the U.S. officials as to why the poppy fields were being protected?
Is that poppies were the only crop that Afghan farmers could sell and make money to feed their families.
Kind of a lame story to believe. Seeing how the heroin trade is an international multi-billion business.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back