Syrian conflict: Adjusting to Irish life after escaping chaos

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I imagine that all the refugees settling in new countries are in the same boat at this professor. Hopefully life will get better for them.

Syrian conflict: Adjusting to Irish life after escaping chaos
Prof Mohammed Alkaran and his family fled warn-torn state after university was bombed
image.jpg

Mohammed Alkaran. “At night-time, I think of all the people we left behind. You end up in tears, thinking about them or reading the news. We pray for them all.” Photograph: Cyril Byrne/The Irish Times

Carl O'Brien

• First published:Mon, Mar 9, 2015, 01:00

It was a bright, blue January morning. The university was bustling with students getting ready for the first day of exams.

Mohammed Alkaran, an associate professor of finance and accounting, was putting some finishing touches to some papers in his office.

Then, out of nowhere, chaos fell out of the sky.
“It was like a scene from a movie, but worse. It was the loudest noise you could ever imagine. Everything shook.”

The explosions struck an area between the University of Aleppo’s halls of residence and the architecture faculty.

Video footage of the aftermath showed buildings carved open, smouldering vehicles and body parts strewn across the street.

The attack, just more than two years ago, killed about 80 people and injured hundreds more. For the country, it marked a brutal new phase in the civil war where students had become legitimate targets.

Continue reading at:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/syrian-conflict-adjusting-to-i

Syrian refugees that have been resettled in Norway are not happy.

I had read something about that Aris. It appears that they aren't too happy with their living accommodations. Maybe in time to come it will dawn on them that their living accommodations were much better than those who are being forced to live in tents in the freezing weather.

Forum List

Back