Syria: children targeted to force people to flee, Christian MP says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's always the children who seem to suffer the most in these wars.

Ansamed
italiano
عربي
Thursday, 5 December 2013 | 8:33

Syria: children targeted to force people to flee, Christian MP says
It's a war to destroy the Syrian state and disintegrate the country

(by Elisa Pinna). (ANSAmed) - ROME - A young Syrian Christian MP has accused rebel forces of targeting children and schools in government-held areas, especially ones with a Christian-majority population.

Some 11,000 children have already died in the conflict, but the Syrian deputy Maria Saadeh - in Rome to meet with Pope Francis and raise awareness in the West about ''what is really happening in Syria'' - said they have now become a target for Al-Qaeda-linked and jihadist groups fighting to overthrow the Damascus regime. ''There have been five attacks alone on Christian schools over the past few days, injuring and killing children,'' she said, claiming that it is a strategy ''to get Christians - who are secular and moderate - to flee the country.'' Some 450,000 of the just over two million Christians in Syria have left the country. Saadeh blames the media for the slanted take on what happens in Syria. ''It is not a war against the regime, as the international media has long portrayed it to be, but a war to destroy the Syrian State by a group of extremists and criminals controlled by foreign powers,'' she said. The deputy did not want to identify with the regime, but said that the top priority right now is to defend the State. ''If the Syrian State collapses, it will mean the total disintegration of the country,'' leaving 23 million citizens without wages, pensions, schools or healthcare in the hands of Al Qaeda-linked groups that are dreaming of a ''Sunni caliphate''. Saadeh said that the rebels are destroying ''the country's administrative facilities, factories, agro-food system, and archeological sites.'' ''How can the West think that the killings, the car bombs, the attacks on civilians and the beheadings,' she asked, ''are synonymous with democracy?''.

The MP asked Europe to ''reopen embassies and diplomatic channels in Syria, so as to be able to mediate and help the civilian population.'' The defense of the State does not involve solely Syrians, she warned, since ''we must work together against jihadist terrorism. Al Qaeda is operating in Syria now, but jihadist Islam has spread to Europe as well. The top goal must therefore be to halt the violence and stop fundamentalist groups from getting weapons and money.'' Once stability has been restored, then elections and changes can be brought in, she said. ''Syria's political system has deteriorated and is outdated,'' she noted, but it should be reformed ''using democratic means and in compliance with national sovereignty.'' Saadeh hopes to make her voice and views heard on this visit to Italy. She had tried to get to Rome in the past as well, but ''the foreign minister at that time, Giulio Terzi, rejected my visa application without any official reason. Perhaps because my views are in contrast with the anti-Assad propaganda.'' (ANSAmed).

Syria: children targeted to force people to flee, Christian MP says - Politics - ANSAMed.it

I agree, and the damage is horrific. Another method many groups use to to force people to leave is rape, including rape of children. Many of these "militants" are so barbaric you wonder if they can ever be civilized people again.

I don't understand, how is targeting christians going to end the assad regime?

I think what you have in Syria is civil war with a lot of independent groups and militias with their own agendas.

I agree, and the damage is horrific. Another method many groups use to to force people to leave is rape, including rape of children. Many of these "militants" are so barbaric you wonder if they can ever be civilized people again.

By your use of the word "militants" are you implying the majority of rapes are at the hands of the rebels?

By your use of the word "militants" are you implying the majority of rapes are at the hands of the rebels?

Nope - these abuses are clearly going on all around unfortunately. It's why it's difficult to know who to support.

Nope - these abuses are clearly going on all around unfortunately. It's why it's difficult to know who to support.

"Seventy percent of the abuses documented by the group were committed by government or government-allied forces. Wolfe said this pattern is common in conflicts where military forces clash with rebel fighters heavily reliant on civilian support."

6,000 cases of women raped during Syrian conflict, human rights group says | GlobalPost

Found this interesting tidbit...

Iran condemns desecration of Syria churches

Iran has condemned the desecration of holy Christian sites in Syria by terrorist groups and the abduction of a group of nuns by militants in the Syrian town of Ma'loula.

“Certainly this act was taken with the aim of fueling the sedition in Syria and [differences] between followers of divine religions who have been living side by side in peace for centuries,” Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said late on Wednesday.

Afkham called for an unconditional release of 12 Syrian and Lebanese nuns who were kidnapped on Monday from a Greek Orthodox convent in Ma'loula by foreign-backed militants, including members of the al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/12/05/338284/iran-slams-attack-on-syria-churches/

Weird, in my google search I probably checked the top 200 or so articles and couldn't find one mention, much less condemnation of the murder, rape, assaults or destruction of christian churches in syria from netanyahu, the israeli gubmint or any major israeli publication.

Probably too busy eating their popcorn...

Iran has condemned the desecration of holy Christian sites in Syria by terrorist groups and the abduction of a group of nuns by militants in the Syrian town of Ma'loula.

“Certainly this act was taken with the aim of fueling the sedition in Syria and [differences] between followers of divine religions who have been living side by side in peace for centuries,” Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said late on Wednesday.

Afkham called for an unconditional release of 12 Syrian and Lebanese nuns who were kidnapped on Monday from a Greek Orthodox convent in Ma'loula by foreign-backed militants, including members of the al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front.

PressTV - Iran condemns desecration of Syria churches

Weird, in my google search I probably checked the top 200 or so articles and couldn't find one mention, much less condemnation of the murder, rape, assaults or destruction of christian churches in syria from netanyahu, the israeli gubmint or any major israeli publication.

Your point ??

PressTV - Iran condemns desecration of Syria churches

Your point ??

Israelis and zionists couldn't give a shit about christians. The only time they take notice is when it effects them.

Your point ??

Israelis and zionists couldn't give a shit about christians. The only time they take notice is when it effects them.

Another bullshit statement. You know nothing about Zionists or Christians, except what you read on your propaganda websites.

No, he's right. Look at Poland during WWII for your insight. Some dude wrote a good book about it, can't remember the name. Jews give a rat's ass about Christians.

No, he's right. Look at Poland during WWII for your insight. Some dude wrote a good book about it, can't remember the name. Jews give a rat's ass about Christians.

personally I don't balme them too much, look how the jews were treated by christians for 1500 years.

But for gods sake, quit lying to us about how much you love them. It's embarrassing.

Your point ??

Another bullshit statement. You know nothing about Zionists or Christians, except what you read on your propaganda websites.

I know a hell of a lot about xtians and jews/zionists, having grown up with both of them.

Xtians hate jews but love israel.

Jews hate xtains but pretend to love them because they get a whole lot of goodies out if it.

I know a hell of a lot about xtians and jews/zionists, having grown up with both of them.

Jews hate xtains but pretend to love them because they get a whole lot of goodies out if it.

The problem is, you can claim whatever you want about yourself, since your behind your computer screen.

Either way , I standby my original statement. You know nothing about Israelis, that;s for sure.

I think what you have in Syria is civil war with a lot of independent groups and militias with their own agendas.
True, plus civil wars are usually the most brutal of all warfare. .. :doubt:

Thing is, it's almost impossible to see a humane situation come out of this - the Middle East is like the Balkans, full of old grudges and ethnic/sectarian/tribal/religious differences.

As the OP points out - it's the children who suffer the most and are most vulnerable - and it isn't any better in refugee camps. An entire generation is going to be lost to this conflict.

Syrian refugee children face 'catastrophic' life in exile, UN says

Hundreds of thousands of Syrian children already traumatised by war are facing a life of "catastrophe" in exile, without education or normal childhood freedoms, the UN refugee agency has warned.

Child labour is a huge problem across the refugee communities of Jordan and Lebanon, with children as young as seven taking on the role of breadwinner for their fractured families.

More than a million Syrian children are refugees, most of them in neighbouring countries. The report, the Future of Syria: refugee children in crisis, published by the UNHCR on Friday, involved four months of research across Jordan and Lebanon, speaking to children and the international workers supporting them.

Registration workers at refugee camps are used to recognising the signs of acute distress or depression in the children and families they register each day. Sheeraz Mukhaimer, a case manager with the International Medical Corps, described children telling her about seeing family members killed and then having to bury the bodies. Parents report children suffering sleep problems, flashbacks to the war, bedwetting and speech difficulties. Constant crying is common.

Volker Türk, director of international protection at UNHCR, says the scale of the unravelling crisis is what sets it apart from other refugee situations. "In terms of numbers, we are talking about a crisis of major proportions. Over 1 million children, it's the sheer magnitude of it. One striking feature is the impact on the psychosocial wellbeing of children. They are severely traumatised children coping with things adults would find difficult to cope with."

As families fall apart, tens of thousands of Syrian children are living without their fathers. In a female-headed household, a male child is likely to be sent out to work. Child labour is illegal in Lebanon and Jordan, but children are commonly taking menial work for low pay. Their meagre wages are sometimes the family's only source of income.

The problem is, you can claim whatever you want about yourself, since your behind your computer screen.

Either way , I standby my original statement. You know nothing about Israelis, that;s for sure.

Maybe Alfalfa can tell us why, if Jews and Christians hate each other so much in the U.S., they socialize together and even marry each other. Can you imagine two people getting married because they hate each other? It could be that no Jews are invited to Bund parties and that is why Alfalfa is unaware they members of both religions socialize and many, many are close friends with each other.

Sick.

BBC News - Syria conflict: Children 'targeted by snipers'
Their report, Stolen Futures - the Hidden Toll of Child Casualties in Syria, examines data from the start of the conflict in March 2011 to August 2013.

Of the 11,420 victims aged 17 and under, 389 were killed by sniper fire.

Some 764 were summarily executed, and more than 100 - including infants - were tortured, the report says.

Boys outnumbered girls among the dead by around two to one. Boys aged 13 to 17 were most likely to be victims of targeted killings, the report says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back