Sweet Nightmare: Mariah Carey's Failed New Year's Eve Performance

tolumba21

Dec 17, 2016
Mariah Carey suffered through a performance train wreck in Times Square on New Year’s Eve as malfunctions left her at a loss vocally during her hit song “Emotions,” struggling to reach notes and to sync the lyrics and music.

The trouble continued when she gave up on another of her best-known numbers, “We Belong Together,” while a recording of the song continued to play, a confirmation that she had been lip-syncing.

But on Sunday, a dispute erupted between Ms. Carey’s representatives and the veteran audio producer involved in the performance.

The producer, Robert Goldstein of Maryland Sound International, a company that has worked on the Times Square event for years, said in an email that there had been no malfunctions with the sound equipment he oversaw.

“Every monitor and in-ear device worked perfectly,” Mr. Goldstein said. “ I can’t comment beyond that and don’t know what her nontechnical issue may have been.”

A spokeswoman for Ms. Carey said on Sunday that the singer was not at fault for her performance.

“Unfortunately there was nothing she could do to continue with the performance given the circumstances,” the spokeswoman, Nicole Perna, told The Associated Press.

It was a rare meltdown on national television by one of the top-selling recording artists of all time. Ms. Carey, a pop phenomenon in the 1990s who won five Grammys out of 34 nominations over the years, was the final pre-midnight act on ABC’s “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest.” She had just finished “Auld Lang Syne” when her star turn began to spiral out of control.

Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve Nightmare in Times Square

Mariah Carey shrugged off an awkward, botched New Year's Eve performance plagued by technical difficulties early Sunday, observing: "S*** happens."

The singer struggled through her Times Square appearance that was aired on "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" on ABC.

A representative for Carey confirmed to The Associated Press there were technical difficulties.

Mariah Carey shakes off awkward New Year's performance: 'S*** happens'

After experiencing difficulties with her New Year performance in Times Square in New York City that included stopping singing midway through a song, Mariah Carey used Twitter to say: “Shit happens.” The singer, performing on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest, on ABC, appeared to have technical difficulties during her live performance on Saturday night.

Carey headlined the festivities in Times Square, where about a million revellers jammed in to greet the new year.

At 2am on 1 January, apparently working on the theory that bad publicity is better than no publicity at all, Carey used social media to say: “S*** happens."

Mariah Carey shrugs off New Year's Eve performance trouble in message to fans

It was a wild New Year's Eve night in Times Square last night, and there was a little exposure before the ball drop. Mariah Carey's whimpy vocal performance turned her sweet dream into a horrific nightmare.

The tweet that sent from Mariah Carey on Twitter and Instagram stating that "[expletive] happens."

Instagram video by Mariah Carey • Jan 1, 2017 at 7:10am UTC

Does this performance put an impact on her musical career? How will this impact her new album this year? On her Grammy Award nominee? On her performance at the Oscars?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

luckily she is not scheduled to perform at the inauguration

I think that one of the contestants of NBC's "America's Got Talent" will make a authentic and phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe if they have gotten up there someone who is actually good, this problem wouldn't have taken place. In my opinion, Alison Krauss would've been the perfect choice if the powers that be wanted a female up there. Them 27 Grammy awards that she has were not just handed to her.

God bless you and Alison always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)

I know at one point the production company, Dick Clark Productions, is pushing back against her absolute star of bombshell. I think that this performance was a train wreck. She had no steam and she let the engines on her vocal cords turn off.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

All great voices manage to fail eventually because these women, don't know how to take care of their money makers, their vocals. Whitney was a prime example. But those that do value them maintain to the end, just ask Tina and Barbara and Cher....3 divas that took it to the end and made history well after their 50''s and beyond, especially Miss Striesand, my all time favorite.

All great voices manage to fail eventually because these women, don't know how to take care of their money makers, their vocals. Whitney was a prime example. But those that do value them maintain to the end, just ask Tina and Barbara and Cher....3 divas that took it to the end and made history well after their 50''s and beyond, especially Miss Striesand, my all time favorite.

Whitney Houston? We can talk to Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand and Cher about how did they end their money making notes.

Last edited:
If you are a pop singing diva, and if you got yourself beautiful vocal cords, you will hype the audience, and make millions. It is real simple.

As a huge Mimi fan I was so disappointed with her performance. Its may have been the wrong wrong track but she should have gone with it.

Beyonce fell down a bunch of stairs one time but still got back up and continued singing and dancing.

Mimi has been in the game too long to have acted like this.

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe there was some brief technical issues and it completely threw her off. That was pretty off though:lmao:, especially with her experience.

Mariah was no one hit wonder, she has had so many great hit songs and had such a beautiful voice. It seems in later years she is only emphasizing her "diva" status. Once a performer is labeled a diva...its pretty much all down hill from there. At least from what I've observed.

Mariah is Mimi?

All great voices manage to fail eventually because these women, don't know how to take care of their money makers, their vocals.
Alison Krauss takes care of her voice. :) :) :)

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

P.S. One more month until her next album is finally out there for us to hear! :) :) :)

Whitney Houston? We can talk to Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand and Cher about how did they end their money making notes.

They aged.....next stupid question?

Forum List

Back