Suspicious about this knife...

...440C steel...1/4 inch thick spine...full tang...10 inch oal, 5 inch blade length... tanto profile...$16...

...hard to pass on a knife I can't make for less (time not included)...but this sounds too good to be true...

View attachment 457213

View attachment 457214

Amazon.com

What do you think?

I suspect not actually 440C.

Probably not 440C. Even a blank should cost more than that if it's real 440C. Looks like Chinese shit.

Knife came today...I have to say, I really like it...with a few caveats...

Nylon sheath is crap. No surprise there.

20210222_130835(1).jpg

I abused it today (it was 50 degrees and outside felt pretty good).

I do believe it is 440C. I chopped with it, I batoned with it, I hammered it into dry hardwood with a mallet...and didn't damage the edge at all.

That said...it is made in China...says so right on the box.

20210222_130841(1).jpg

The scale connection is adhesive and grommet in lieu of rivets. I can see that coming in handy it you wantet to affix the knife to a shaft for spear fishing or gigging...or to add a leather thong to keep your hand from sliding up the blade.

20210222_130853(1).jpg

...batoned dry black walnut

20210222_131123(1).jpg

The edge has a slight recurve...don't know if I like that.

It is a saber grind. Wonder if they were worried about chipping with flat grind. Thinking about changing it...comments?

20210222_131203(1).jpg

Lastly...it is heavy. Almost 10 ounces sans sheath. And it is handle heavy. Balance point is on the rear edge of the first grommet.

20210222_161030.jpg

Probably the characteristic I like least is the recurve blade. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain the advantage there.

The characteristics I appreciate most are the thickness and the fit and finish...much better than I expected.

My major hunting seasons ended mid February and won't start again until mid May, so you'll have to wait on cleaning and dressing. In a few days I'll try it out on some camp knife tasks. Not hopeful on that score...but this is my first tanto and you never know until you try.

Overall...so far... I'm pleased with this purchase.

Look forward to miketx thoughts.

Last edited:

View attachment 460471

I do believe it is 440C. I chopped with it, I batoned with it, I hammered it into dry hardwood with a mallet...and didn't damage the edge at all.

View attachment 460472

The scale connection is adhesive and grommet in lieu of rivets. I can see that coming in handy it you wantet to affix the knife to a shaft for spear fishing or gigging...or to add a leather thong to keep your hand from sliding up the blade.

View attachment 460473

View attachment 460474

It is a saber grind. Wonder if they were worried about chipping with flat grind. Thinking about changing it...comments?

View attachment 460475

Lastly...it is heavy. Almost 10 ounces sans sheath. And it is handle heavy. Balance point is on the rear edge of the first grommet.

View attachment 460476

Probably the characteristic I like least is the recurve blade. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain the advantage there.

The characteristics I appreciate most are the thickness and the fit and finish...much better than I expected.

My major hunting seasons ended mid February and won't start again until mid May, so you'll have to wait on cleaning and dressing. In a few days I'll try it out on some camp knife tasks. Not hopeful on that score...but this is my first tanto and you never know until you try.

Overall...so far... I'm pleased with thus purchase.

Sounds like a winner man!
Mine is supposed to be here Thursday. Thanks for the review.

Mine came yesterday and is just what was pictured. It's a good sized heavy thick knife and it looks to me like it would be a very useful tool to have while camping or other outdoor exercises, and very hard to damage. The one thing I wasn't real happy with is that it's not very sharp. It won't shave or cut paper, but that's not really an issue. It's certainly good enough for a great outdoors tool.

So, that said, I tried to sharpen it using my crock sticks and after a few hundred strokes it's starting to sharpen. So that tells me I probably ruined the edge it came with, and that it was some kind of hollow ground edge or some different angle, different from what my sticks are set at. So now I'll need to break out the Lansky three stone set and work it into shape. I just always like a sharp edge, but as stated it's fine for field usage as is.

Moving on, a few years back I saw this knife advertised on Amazon, and I liked what I saw and bought it.

cima knive.jpg

It was $19.80 and seemed to good to be true, like the one in the OP. When it arrived it too was just like advertised and was a nice heavy bladed full tang knife with a decent kydex sheath. Comparing it to the knife in the OP, it's a little over three inches shorter and the the blade is the same thickness, or very similar. It is no longer available on Amazon but they do offer the Cima-2 which is similar but priced at 72.00.
I'd recommend the Cima-1 as well as the OP knife. It's available for 26.00 Here:

Thanks Missourian

Edited to add:

Or maybe I'll just leave the edge alone and use it for outdoor stuff and if I need to cut some paper I'll use my pocket knife! ;)

Last edited:
Got mine today. Nice quality, but needs sharpening.
It's hard to sharpen in my experience because I didn't know what the edge actually was. After a couple hundred strokes on the sticks I figured it may have been hollow ground.

I rarely need a knife, so I just but those folding lock blade box cutter things with the replaceable razor blades now. They make them in a couple of sizes sizes,that fit in my pockets and don't weigh much. I use a hand axe or a hatchet for anything big; I don't see a point to big ass heavy knives. With a good one you can skin game with them much easier as well.

Last edited:
The scale connection is adhesive and grommet in lieu of rivets.
This turned out to be wrong.

Scales are only affixed mechanically with a type of allen wrench Chicago screws...no adhesive.

They did loosen up. Epoxied them on then re-affixed the Chicago screws.

View attachment 460471

View attachment 460472

View attachment 460473

View attachment 460474

View attachment 460475

View attachment 460476

Overall...so far... I'm pleased with this purchase.

Good review for a cheap price. Hopefully, I'd get one on my hands soon!

Forum List

Back