Suprised the soccer guys weren't on the Beckham thing...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
David Beckham comes to America for $250 million!!!! Like the guy didnt have enough bloody money. He's going to make $50 million a year. That is ludicrous.

My question since i'm not a soccer guy is, does he have anything left? Is he still in the prime of his career or is he winding down? Either way, i dont think it does a damn thing for American soccer because Football reigns supreme in this nation and Baseball (despite their every effort to destroy themselves) keeps on thriving as well.

David Beckham comes to America for $250 million!!!! Like the guy didnt have enough bloody money. He's going to make $50 million a year. That is ludicrous.

My question since i'm not a soccer guy is, does he have anything left? Is he still in the prime of his career or is he winding down? Either way, i dont think it does a damn thing for American soccer because Football reigns supreme in this nation and Baseball (despite their every effort to destroy themselves) keeps on thriving as well.

Well , David Beckham is not the player he once used to be. Also , he isn't getting enough palying time in Madrid so he decided to move to LA Galaxy. Also , David Beckham has a soccer academy in the United States and is planning to build a mansion in beverly Hills (So that Victoria can start off her acting career:razz: ).

Well , Beckham can still work wonders with his foot and chip in a few free kicks for LA Galaxy in the MLS. He can link up well with the team strikers and help thme score more goals. Now , what does this mean for LA Galaxy and MLS ?

Well FOX Sports can expect more viewership during LA Galaxy games as there are quite a few Beckham fans in the States. Also , LA Galaxy can cash in on marketing and lucrative sponsorship courtesy Beckham. But one thing is for sure ... Beckham's presence will be felt in U.S sport.

I agree $250m is outrageous, but he will do wonders for the sport.

No denying that Beckham is a great midfielder but I think we have all seen the best of Beckham. Yes , the boy from Leytonstone has done wonders for the sport (Who can forget his long range goals for Man U...Even though I never was or am a Man U supporter Beckham while playing for Man U used to create magic on the pitch). His last 3 years haven't been good. He is 31 now and has performed to the best of his abilities. One can only wait and see how Becks performs in the MLS.

No denying that Beckham is a great midfielder but I think we have all seen the best of Beckham. Yes , the boy from Leytonstone has done wonders for the sport (Who can forget his long range goals for Man U...Even though I never was or am a Man U supporter Beckham while playing for Man U used to create magic on the pitch). His last 3 years haven't been good. He is 31 now and has performed to the best of his abilities. One can only wait and see how Becks performs in the MLS.

No doubt he'll be top 5 in the league no problem. Beckham whether or not plays well doesn't really matter. He is now the face for the MLS and will be a marketing dynamo. MLS will actually be in the news and on espn. That is HUGE.

No doubt he'll be top 5 in the league no problem. Beckham whether or not plays well doesn't really matter. He is now the face for the MLS and will be a marketing dynamo. MLS will actually be in the news and on espn. That is HUGE.

Exactly. We can expect Adidas to sponsor the MLS and provide the balls and stuff then...
The Nike guys must be cursing

I don't think this guy Beckham is going to change the fact that most Americans find watching soccer extremely boring. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think this guy Beckham is going to change the fact that most Americans find watching soccer extremely boring. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying that he will change soccer to a major sport in the US. However it will give a massive boost to MLS which has been steadily going every year. Soccer grows with every new generation. Personally I've grown up playing and watching so it's all good to me. Part of watching soccer is not for the goals, but for the general play of the game. A goal is just the icing.

I just don't think i'll ever be able to get into soccer. I played the sport for 8 years when i was younger and had fun doing it. However, once i got to high school, i joined the football team and havent played soccer since except in a pick up game with my nephews. Watching soccer is boring. I watched probably 8 or 9 matches this past summer during World cup and couldnt really get into any except for the german ones where the crowd was overhyped.

I think MLS will gain strength of all areas from the Hispanic influx into this country. Hispanics love soccer and i think getting MLS on TV will help them in that aspect. Beyond that area, MLS will be a distant 5th or 6th to other major sports in this country.

if the tree in the backyard is dripping sap I have something a great deal more interesting to watch than soccer.

if the tree in the backyard is dripping sap I have something a great deal more interesting to watch than soccer.

Especially after watching that sham called the World Cup. All I learned from that is those soccer players are a bunch of crybabies.

We knew you wouldn't give a shit so we didn't bother....

He is one if not the most marketable athletes around the world.....they sell more beckham shit than almost any other athlete on the planet.....

That said he has always been very one dimensional, great crosser of the ball, maybe best in the world maybe best ever and magical with a dead ball, but he can not beat a player on the dribble, can not defend and has a left foot only so he does not have to hop….

As for soccer..... The arrogant self indulgent narcissistic Americans are the only ones that do not appreciate the sport.....probably because it requires patience and an attention span

We knew you wouldn't give a shit so we didn't bother....

He is one if not the most marketable athletes around the world.....they sell more beckham shit than almost any other athlete on the planet.....

That said he has always been very one dimensional, great crosser of the ball, maybe best in the world maybe best ever and magical with a dead ball, but he can not beat a player on the dribble, can not defend and has a left foot only so he does not have to hop….

As for soccer..... The arrogant self indulgent narcissistic Americans are the only ones that do not appreciate the sport.....probably because it requires patience and an attention span

I'm sorry but a sport where i wait for a guy to take a dive to give my team an advantage is not a sport i care to watch unless they are beating the crap out of each other every other minute (aka hockey).

Patience is a virtue but time is precious. I don't see time spent watching a soccer match where the team passes the ball backward most of the time to get forward as efficient time management. Football has alot of downtime in between plays but its the most exciting sport in the country. Thats because the actual plays themselves are the most exciting action you can find in all of sports. It proves that you can have slow action as long as there is a pay off. A sport where shots on goal is heralded as an achievement as much so as goals scored shows where this sport lies. Typical feel good liberal thinking of Europe to make it so that the effort getting there is just as important as the outcome. The only reason Americans watch/play sports is because they want to win. You win some, you lose some but if you lose some, you find any way you can to win the next time. You don't revel in the fact that you tried hard. Also ties suck but 0-0 ties suck hard.

Becks is also a great player of the through ball and can land the ball at the feet of another player on a dime.

Two most boring team sports in the world? Has to be baseball and American Football. Both take an age to play and are so repetitive it's a regular snorefest...

Football can be boring, but you get two teams together going for it, it can be very entertaining...

Exactly. America can actually become a soccer star's paradise if the attitude of the general public about soccer changes. MLS is improving every year. While Basketball , NFL , Baseball reign in America soccer is always left behind.

Soccer is the King of Sports and is physically and morally more tough then other sports. As for soccer players being "cry babies" there are only a few of them.
I too have seen enough pushing , shoving and complaining in NBA games. NFL is more worst.. There is only pushing and shoving and raw brawn. No class at all. Just two teams made up of "Hulk Hogan's" passing a ball and shoving each other in the arse. Atleast in soccer it is skill and beauty that matter and not how physically strong you are. Sport is not only about physical strength but skill and soccer players in the Leagues have skill even though they do not possess the bulk of NFL players.

No wonder then Soccer is the richest , most widely followed game on the planet and holds the title of the "King of Sports".

Forum List

Back