Supreme Court upholds Arizona voting laws

Last year we had a lot of polling places get moved. I do not understand the desire to cancel out someone's vote simply because they came to the wrong polling place. Maybe they waited in line 3 hours.......

We should do all we can to protect a persons Constitutional Rights.
We should do everything we can to protect a legal citizen's Constitutional Rights.

Which is what is being discussed here but since you brought it up, the Constitution applies to those not here legally also.
Since you want to take that stand, I disagree 1000%. The right to vote is a right that ONLY citizens enjoy. As it should be.

I didn't say illegals can vote. The Constitution doesn't give illegals the right to vote but the Constitution still applies to illegals.

The Constitution clearly states a citizen can never be deported but it allows those not citizens to be deported. Before being deported though they have a right to a fair trial, etc.
So, why are Blacks, Hispanics, and Native American voters more likely to vote outside their precincts?

Explain that one.

Just because you say that is the case does not mean it is.
It's what the Democrats argued, and the 9th Circus bought it.

Both policies disproportionately affect nonwhite voters, challengers argued. Black, Hispanic and Native American voters in Arizona were more likely than white ones to vote outside their assigned precinct, the 9th Circuit found. And many people of color, particularly Native Americans, live outside of regular mail service, making ballot-delivery efforts more helpful to them.

Last year we had a lot of polling places get moved. I do not understand the desire to cancel out someone's vote simply because they came to the wrong polling place. Maybe they waited in line 3 hours.......

We should do everything we can to protect a legal citizen's Constitutional Rights.

Which is what is being discussed here but since you brought it up, the Constitution applies to those not here legally also.
Since you want to take that stand, I disagree 1000%. The right to vote is a right that ONLY citizens enjoy. As it should be.

I didn't say illegals can vote. The Constitution doesn't give illegals the right to vote but the Constitution still applies to illegals.

The Constitution clearly states a citizen can never be deported but it allows those not citizens to be deported. Before being deported though they have a right to a fair trial, etc.
Well, since the topic of the thread is "voting" then your remark regarding non-citizens is meaningless. Thanks for playin.g

I just wondered why you aren't interested in protecting all Constitutional rights.

So, why are Blacks, Hispanics, and Native American voters more likely to vote outside their precincts?

Explain that one.

Just because you say that is the case does not mean it is.
It's what the Democrats argued, and the 9th Circus bought it.

Both policies disproportionately affect nonwhite voters, challengers argued. Black, Hispanic and Native American voters in Arizona were more likely than white ones to vote outside their assigned precinct, the 9th Circuit found. And many people of color, particularly Native Americans, live outside of regular mail service, making ballot-delivery efforts more helpful to them.

So then you answered your own question so why ask it?

Well, since the topic of the thread is "voting" then your remark regarding non-citizens is meaningless. Thanks for playin.g

I just wondered why you aren't interested in protecting all Constitutional rights.
Where did you get that I wasn't? Another deflection on your part I guess.

Yeah, can't wait to see the fallout when Republican voters move across town, forget to change their address and they aren't even allowed a provisional ballot in their new district. They'll be mad Mad MAD!! :cool-45:

I'm still not totally clear how the Ariz gop will now allow ballots to be collected on native american reservations where people don't have mail service and access to polling places. There was a thread by a pro-Gop restriction poster (that I can't find now) asking for examples of actual suppression of votes, and this was the one I could think of. The USSC has no interest in acutally having people vote. Their interest is in removing court oversight (maybe only when the gop benefits, but maybe they're more inclined to even handedness). But prior to McConnell electing the present Court, the rule was: voting is a fundamental right, all rights can be regulated, but how can the state's interest in fair elections be carried out with stomping on individual rights as little as possible.

Polling places are set up by county, not state. Some reservations have polling places.

The largest reservation in the United States actually stretches over three states, so it obviously stretches over multiple counties. I believe it does have polling places set up, but their concern is that there are members of their tribe who live isolated miles away from pretty much anything. My personal feeling is that working out issues like that is the job of their tribal leaders.

Every place that I have lived printed my assigned polling place on my sample ballot. Are you implying that some people are too ignorant to read plain English?

Every place that I have lived printed my assigned polling place on my sample ballot. Are you implying that some people are too ignorant to read plain English?

It's all about you.

Forum List

Back