Supreme Court to weigh Virginia life sentences in Washington sniper case

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday over whether to uphold Virginia’s life sentences without parole imposed on Washington sniper Lee Boyd Malvo for murders and other crimes committed when he was 17.

Malvo and his partner, John Allen Muhammad, terrorized Washington, Maryland and Virginia in a series of shootings that killled 10 and wounded three others beginning Oct. 2, 2002. The infamous “D.C. snipers” were apprehended 22 days later at a rest stop near Myersville, Maryland.

The Supreme Court will decide whether Malvo’s life sentences without parole in Virginia – imposed for crimes he committed as a minor – violate Eighth Amendment protections against cruel and unusual punishment.

This doesn't look good.

He is too dangerous to ever let out of prison, and my guess is, the Supreme Court will see it that way too.

There should be no such thing as “life sentences”. They are a breech of the prohibition against cruel, and unusual punishment. Not to mention an extraordinary waste of tax dollars to invest in lifetime care, for a person who will never enter back into society, and help contribute to the tax base. It’s a net financial loss. Prison sentences should max out at 20 years. If society cannot figure out how to exact its “justice” in 20 years; go for the death penalty. But quit wasting our money on investments with no return...

There is precedence, and rightly so.

Supreme Court Opens Door To Parole For Juveniles Given Life Sentences

It has ALWAYS baffled me how the state has been able to waffle on both sides of the legal age rule. If a person is considered and minor then they are a minor. Why the double standard for crime?
I agree. The way the court has ruled indicates he has to be eligible for parole. That is for the good, the bad and the ugly.

Unless he meets the criteria here: the defendant is found to be "irreparably corrupt" and "permanently incorrigible." Pretty vague stuff.

Either way its not going to be pretty.

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday over whether to uphold Virginia’s life sentences without parole imposed on Washington sniper Lee Boyd Malvo for murders and other crimes committed when he was 17.

Malvo and his partner, John Allen Muhammad, terrorized Washington, Maryland and Virginia in a series of shootings that killled 10 and wounded three others beginning Oct. 2, 2002. The infamous “D.C. snipers” were apprehended 22 days later at a rest stop near Myersville, Maryland.

The Supreme Court will decide whether Malvo’s life sentences without parole in Virginia – imposed for crimes he committed as a minor – violate Eighth Amendment protections against cruel and unusual punishment.

This doesn't look good.
We have a conservative Supreme Court.......no chance in hell

There should be no such thing as “life sentences”. They are a breech of the prohibition against cruel, and unusual punishment. Not to mention an extraordinary waste of tax dollars to invest in lifetime care, for a person who will never enter back into society, and help contribute to the tax base. It’s a net financial loss. Prison sentences should max out at 20 years. If society cannot figure out how to exact its “justice” in 20 years; go for the death penalty. But quit wasting our money on investments with no return...
So are you gin to hire mass murderers who get let out of prison?

I know I won't

I know I won't
And in adherence to the founding principle of freedom of association; you should not be compelled to. Though that is an entirely different topic...

I know I won't
And in adherence to the founding principle of freedom of association; you should not be compelled to. Though that is an entirely different topic...

So you assume that employers all over the country would hire mass murderers if there were no more life without parole sentences?

I know I won't

So you assume that employers all over the country would hire mass murderers if there were no more life without parole sentences?
You seem to be overlooking the aforementioned death penalty option. That aside... I make no assumptions to what every prospective employer would do in regards to hiring. That is their business. My speculation on the matter isn’t required.

I know I won't

You seem to be overlooking the aforementioned death penalty option. That aside... I make no assumptions to what every prospective employer would do in regards to hiring. That is their business. My speculation on the matter isn’t required.
But you did peculate that these people would become tax paying members of society therefore someone must have to hire them for that to happen.

And the death penalty actually costs more than incarceration for life

Why the Death Penalty Costs More Than Life in Prison

I know I won't

But you did peculate that these people would become tax paying members of society therefore someone must have to hire them for that to happen.

And the death penalty actually costs more than incarceration for life

Why the Death Penalty Costs More Than Life in Prison
It would be next to impossible for them to move through society without ever making a single taxable purchase at some point. It’s merely your fixation on who may or may not hire them that has allowed the obvious to escape you.

Forum List

Back