Supreme Court Makes It Harder For Undocumented Immigrants To Fight Deportation

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday made it more difficult for undocumented immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for a long time to fight deportation. The court's 5-to-3 ruling came in the case of a man who had lived in the U.S. for 25 years but who had used a fake Social Security card to get a job as a janitor.

Clemente Pereida was fined $100 under Nebraska state law after he pleaded no contest to the crime of "attempted criminal impersonation." The lower courts ruled the conviction was enough to trigger his deportation because it was a crime of "moral turpitude" under state law.

That finding, in turn, meant that Pereida was ruled ineligible when he appealed to the attorney general to cancel his deportation because of the impact it would have on his son, a U.S. citizen, and the rest of his family. The attorney general does have such discretion but not if the applicant has been found guilty of a crime of "moral turpitude."

I would like to see exactly how much of an impact this will have.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday made it more difficult for undocumented immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for a long time to fight deportation. The court's 5-to-3 ruling came in the case of a man who had lived in the U.S. for 25 years but who had used a fake Social Security card to get a job as a janitor.

Clemente Pereida was fined $100 under Nebraska state law after he pleaded no contest to the crime of "attempted criminal impersonation." The lower courts ruled the conviction was enough to trigger his deportation because it was a crime of "moral turpitude" under state law.

That finding, in turn, meant that Pereida was ruled ineligible when he appealed to the attorney general to cancel his deportation because of the impact it would have on his son, a U.S. citizen, and the rest of his family. The attorney general does have such discretion but not if the applicant has been found guilty of a crime of "moral turpitude."

Thank God for Trump, McConnell, Gorsuch and Kavanaigh. Amy did not vote on this, so it'll only get better.

Funny how the judges didn't hold the government accountable for their complicit actions. The only way this works is if the government is willing to look the other way. Which of course they are.

Funny how the judges didn't hold the government accountable for their complicit actions. The only way this works is if the government is willing to look the other way. Which of course they are.
You are unusually confused here.

I notice that you are incapable of noting where so I will dismiss your concerns.

Not seeing a problem here. Those who enter the country illegally should not expect any less. There are protocols to be followed and one doesn’t get a pass because they ignored them.

I notice that you are incapable of noting where so I will dismiss your concerns.
I have no concerns. I simply pointed out that you were confused, more so than usual.

I have no concerns. I simply pointed out that you were confused, more so than usual.

And you are incapable of expressing why which really means you are clueless.

He was in the country illegally working for some 25 years. Regardless of the state law violation (is using a fake SSN not a federal crime also?) get out. And the US twice denied this man's application for green card status (in the country legally).

Violinist, CCM graduate and former adjunct faculty member must leave U.S.
On Wednesday, he and his Bulgarian-born violinist wife and their two U.S.-born children will board a plane to Paris that connects with a flight to the Bulgarian capital of Sofia. There, they will start a new life after living almost 14 years in the United States on a series of student visas.

The U.S. government has twice denied Stoyanov's petition for him and his family to stay in this country on a permanent worker visa.

"It feels as if they just did not have the patience to look through everything and analyze it," said Stoyanov, whose filings to U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services have amounted to more than 700 pages.

"Otherwise," he said, "I cannot explain their denial."

Stoyanov and his wife, Smiliana Lozanova, 36, have performed since 2006 with the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, based in the state capital, Charleston.

Lozanova emigrated to the United States in 2002 on a student visa to work toward a master's degree in violin performance at Louisiana State University. Stoyanova followed a year later.

Their last student visa expired in 2013 when he earned his Ph.D. in musical arts from the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. His wife has the same degree and the performance-oriented artist diploma from CCM. They estimate they received close to $500,000 combined in scholarships from the school, which they consider one of the top five in the United States.................................................................................................................................................................

The petition, which was denied Oct. 4, included dozens of letters of recommendation from internationally recognized experts in violin, orchestra and chamber music. Stoyanov provided proof of his professional career: orchestral appearances in Japan, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Bulgaria, Russia, Macedonia and the United States. Recordings of his work are available in archives of Bulgarian National Radio and Television. His popular music experience includes work with the classical music-based Electric Light Orchestra rock band, Trans-Siberian Orchestra and vocalists Sarah Brightman and Josh Groban.

Well, I would probably start with the entire notion that because the guy was never caught until the moment is NOT a complicit action on the governments part. In fact, the moment they became aware of the program, they moved to rectify it.

so, his conclusion that you are confused here is an accurate one.

Well, I would probably start with the entire notion that because the guy was never caught until the moment is NOT a complicit action on the governments part. In fact, the moment they became aware of the program, they moved to rectify it.

You can't go 25 years using a false SS number unless the government looks the other way.

You can't go 25 years using a false SS number unless the government looks the other way.
You're a bizarre little fellow.

You're a bizarre little fellow.

Again, attacking me as opposed to addressing my arguments.

Clearly, you can. Unless you have some documentation that someone knew something and looked the other way.

Clearly, you can. Unless you have some documentation that someone knew something and looked the other way.

There is no way. Impossible. The only way this works is with a government that doesn't care

There is no way. Impossible. The only way this works is with a government that doesn't care
As an example, current administration policies. They don't care if a person is here legally, is committing fraud by using an illegal SS number, is taking a job that an American needs or wants.

Either way, that does not make in this case an argument for complicity in the charges and the person should be spared deportation because of it since no proof of complicity can be provided.

The courts are getting it right for a change.

As an example, current administration policies. They don't care if a person is here legally, is committing fraud by using an illegal SS number, is taking a job that an American needs or wants.

Either way, that does not make in this case an argument for complicity in the charges and the person should be spared deportation because of it since no proof of complicity can be provided.

The courts are getting it right for a change.

No administration has ever cared which I s why millions are here working.

So we deport one person and continue to ignore the millions of others.

being illegally in the USA is more then enough to deport him. Do you drop criminal charges on a criminal because it is going to IMPACT his family. HELL NO

Forum List

Back