Sun does not rise in the East and set in the west

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Let’s debunk this falsehood !!

Only true if you dwell exactly on earths equator !!

For most of us : the sun is due north of east for 6 months and due south of west for 6 months !!
Only in the start of spring and fall is the sun exactly rising east and setting west - only 2 days

Right now the sun is rising very far south of east but will swing back on Wednesday and begin to change its angle to the north
As the sun is far south of east -you notice the days getting super short !! Due to shorten angle against the earths tilt in the northern hemisphere

On the poles : the sun will rise and set in every direction at the same time

I hope this clears your head !!!

Just to add !! The reason Christmas is December 25th is because of the days finally getting longer and it was easy to juxtapose into a holiday even through Jesus was born in the spring

The reason Christmas is December 25th is
Christmas is traditionally the Winter Solstice, and St. John the Baptist's Day is traditionally the Summer Solstice, celebrated June 24.
Which is because the Roman, Julian, and Gregorian calendars got a few days out of whack with the signs of the Zodiac on a 365-day year.

The reason Christmas is December 25th is
Christmas is traditionally the Winter Solstice, and St. John the Baptist's Day is traditionally the Summer Solstice, celebrated June 24.
Which is because the Roman, Julian, and Gregorian calendars got a few days out of whack with the signs of the Zodiac on a 365-day year.
You understand the more important stuff , right ??
I get it that it’s the earth rotating but that is not my point

The orbital and rotational motion of the planet makes it seem to us that the sun rises and sets in seasonal cycles. You got a problem with that?

Last edited:
It depends on the time of the year, but, generally speaking, in our part of the world, the sun shows itself, in the east, north east (here) in the summer, and in the winter, it's just south of due east- BTW, the earth wobbles on its axis and it's path around the sun isn't a perfect circle.

You understand the more important stuff , right ??
I get it that it’s the earth rotating but that is not my point
It was a very hot midsummer day, and John the Baptist preached washing, regeneration, and new birth.
Jesus was the second cousin of John, because their mothers Mary and Elizabeth were first cousins.
Jesus was born and laid in a manger with swaddling clothes, and the animals kept him warm with their breath. It was a very cold day in the winter, and there was no room for them at the inn.

For most of us : the sun is due north of east for 6 months and due south of west for 6 months !!
Only in the start of spring and fall is the sun exactly rising east and setting west - only 2 days

Right now the sun is rising very far south of east but will swing back on Wednesday and begin to change its angle to the north
As the sun is far south of east -you notice the days getting super short !! Due to shorten angle against the earths tilt in the northern hemisphere

Just to add !! The reason Christmas is December 25th is because of the days finally getting longer and it was easy to juxtapose into a holiday even through Jesus was born in the spring
The sun never rises and never sets, but, the Earth does rotate...

If North is south, and south is north, does the earth rotate clockwise????

Greg

the Winter Solstice is one of the most wonderful days of the year! I've learned to love it, since living in Maine!

It's the day the darkness of night begins to become the brightness of day again! Spring is coming! Daylight is coming back! Hope is on the horizon! LOVE IT!!!

of course January and February is going to be brutally cold, but at least the sun will not be setting at damn 3:45pm!!!

I know that . I am taking only about how you see the sun appearing in terms of direction

The sun is appearing in the SE now but next week it will slightly move north for 6 months

Nah ... same deal there ... north of east half the year, south of east the rest ... it was the plants' idea to make seasons ...

I have seen the sun rise in the East hundreds of times

Just fact that you can not alter

It’s not exactly due east
That is a fact

It’s not exactly due east
That is a fact
Yea so, the universe is not set at right angles

the Winter Solstice is one of the most wonderful days of the year! I've learned to love it, since living in Maine!

It's the day the darkness of night begins to become the brightness of day again! Spring is coming! Daylight is coming back! Hope is on the horizon! LOVE IT!!!

of course January and February is going to be brutally cold, but at least the sun will not be setting at damn 3:45pm!!!
It's the reason why Christmas is on the 25th. It took the Pagans three days to notice that the daylight was getting longer. They had a celebration the next day.

Jesus was more than likely born in March. Since there were no Pagan Holidays to steal in March, we rejoice on December 25th.

1. The saying that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, is just a simplified saying of what is perceived. Your average individual is not going to go around spouting: "the sun is rising very far south of east, et cetera, et cetera."
2. Technically, the sun doesn't rise or set at all. Our planet simply and consistently rotates in the same general direction while moving around the sun over a period of a year.
So, while I rarely address the Earth's daily cycle, if asked, I will use the common simplified response of: "the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Jan, Moves center in June , 9 degrees north of da big E. Not bad looking from the bedroom
p2130030-1024x1024.jpg

Forum List

Back