Summer Reading.

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I'm reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" freaking hilarious and thought provoking too.

Anybody else read it?

Enzo said. "I don't understand why people insist on pitting the concepts of evolution and creation against each other. Why can't they see that spiritualism and science are one? That bodies evolve and souls evolve and the universe is a fluid place that marries them both in a wonderful package called a human being. What's wrong with that idea?"

pp 18

Enzo said. "I don't understand why people insist on pitting the concepts of evolution and creation against each other. Why can't they see that spiritualism and science are one? That bodies evolve and souls evolve and the universe is a fluid place that marries them both in a wonderful package called a human being. What's wrong with that idea?"

Funny but the book I just started answers that question, "The Beginning of Infinity." And finished Derrick Jensen's "A Language Older than Words." Jensen's book touches on animal communication and how animals live in the world. Worth reading even where you disagree.

David Deutsch's Home Page

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Infinity-Explanations-Transform-World/dp/0670022756/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Beginning of Infinity: Explanations That Transform the World (9780670022755): David Deutsch: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Language-Older-Than-Words/dp/1931498555/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: A Language Older Than Words (9781931498555): Derrick Jensen: Books[/ame]

I have been reading the Marcus Didus Falco series by Lindsy Davis. Sort of Sam Spade in ancient Rome. the series runs from the year of the 4 emperors and is scheduled to end in 83. (Emperor Domitian had all folks like the hero fed to the lions that year) So far the series is up to 78. The mysteries are kind of lame, but the daily life parts of it are very interesting. Davis is female, so she concentrates just a little too much on clothes, jewelry and the domestic part of the story. But since that is also because that is the more important part of it too.

Good bunch of books

I've finished Sarah's Key. Good read. I learned something I never knew before. The French,, yes, the French Police rounded up thousands of Jews and shipped them off to the death camps. And all the while we thought it was just the Nazis.

The Vélodrome d

pp 18

You do get that Enzo was a dog, right?

I've finished Sarah's Key. Good read. I learned something I never knew before. The French,, yes, the French Police rounded up thousands of Jews and shipped them off to the death camps. And all the while we thought it was just the Nazis.

The Vélodrome d

This would have been when the French were invaded by.... ummm... the Nazis, yea? Funny what people will do when they have a gun to their head.

The Vélodrome d

This would have been when the French were invaded by.... ummm... the Nazis, yea? Funny what people will do when they have a gun to their head.

Who are you kidding? The french were fucking the Germans when we the USA rolled into Paris and liberated them.

The Vélodrome d

Who are you kidding? The french were fucking the Germans when we the USA rolled into Paris and liberated them.

The following information may shock you..... sit down...... France is actually a whole lot bigger than just Paris. :eek:

The following information may shock you..... sit down...... France is actually a whole lot bigger than just Paris. :eek:

read zeee book, this event took place in Paris. Hello.

Speaking of the French, a 224-page book called "Butterflies of the World" by Gilles Martin with translation by Myriam Baran, is my current love affair. Some closeups of butterfly wings include details of the nearly microscopic "scales" that give some butterflies a definite iridescent quality. The photography is so aesthetic it is world-class wonderful. Oh, yes, adults only. It has sex stuff in it too. :D

Not just another pretty picture book to leave on your coffee table in the Den to garner envious looks from your guests, this tome explains details of certain members of Lepidoptera that help you understand their role in the universe, and the strategies of these fragile creatures to stay here. On page 44 it tells of the Monarch's survival strategy, which is to be inedible. Wise females of the specie lay their eggs on the milkweed plant, which is so toxic, predators eschew it. When the little caterpillars hatch, they feed on the milkweed and become highly toxic, not to mention distasteful, to any predator genetically stupid enough to take a nibble. ewwww! One taste is the last time! And most beasts receive genetic instructions not to mess with the Monarch or anything that remotely resembles one.

As a consequence, the Monarch's very survival depends on whether milkweed are in abundance, and with the urbanization of many of their ancestral migratory areas, please plant milkweed in your garden to help replenish these wonderful animals. Free milkweed seeds

I'm a little worried, because our fields out back (and over the entire drought-infested state of Texas) are so terribly, terribly parched. So those of you who live in more watered areas, please go to the above link and ensure that if a monarch lilts its way into your yard, it can find its target food for babes.

Regards.
becki

Last edited:
Ahhh, reading. I love literature!!

6a00d8341d896a53ef0133ecf88dc2970b-800wi

I also keep select reading materials for those long sojourns on the porcelain throne.

Hustler%20Magazine%20-%20cover.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back