Sullivan declare winner in Alaska Senate race, GOP now has 50 seats

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
But if Biden wins then they need 51, so they gotta 1 one of the 2 Senate runoff races in Georgia. Neither candidate got 50% o the vote, so they'll have another election in the first week of January. An that will be huge, cuz if the Dems win both Georgia Senate seats and Biden does become our next president then Kamala Harris will be the deciding vote in the Senate in the event of a tie vote on a bill.

Now - Manchin has already said he won't support abolishing the filibuster; if so then the Dems still need 60 votes to end cloture, in effect meaning they can't pass anything just like the GOP couldn't either, except for confirmation votes for cabinet positions and federal judges including the Supreme Court. So, those Georgia runoff races do mean quite a lot.

Last edited:
Well, if worse comes to worse, we still have the Court.

Until the moonbats pack it.

I highly doubt the democrats will be able to pack the court. They gotta end the filibuster first, and as I said above they gotta win both Georgia Senate runoff races and even then they gotta convince Manchin and any other recalcitrant democrat senators to end the filibuster, and then they gotta convince Manchin and the others to vote to pack the court. All of which is highly unlikely IMHO.

If I'm McConnell and the GOP and they do keep their Senate majority, I would pretty much allow Biden to pick his own cabinet without much opposition. But confirming federal judges and justices is another matter, no more Kagans and Sotomayors if you please. And all that Green New Deal shit? Nuh-uh.

Well, if worse comes to worse, we still have the Court.

Until the moonbats pack it.
NO, the moonbats won't pack the supreme court, or eliminate the filibuster, so says Joe Manchin.

I hope Joe switches parties and becomes a republican, like the rest of WV.

I don't believe Manchin or any other politician.

They'll do what suits them when it suits them.

I do doubt that GA goes blue in both Senate seats however. Whatever you may believe about the presidential election, I don't see a runoff attracting rabid anti-trumpers to the polls.

Republicans, however, will show up.

Actually, I think we have 51?

When Michigan is recounted we will pick up another senate seat that was stolen from us, and when they recount Georgia we will pick up two more.

But if Biden wins then they need 51, so they gotta 1 one of the 2 Senate runoff races in Georgia. Neither candidate got 50% o the vote, so they'll have another election in the first week of January. An that will be huge, cuz if the Dems win both Georgia Senate seats and Biden does become our next president then Kamala Harris will be the deciding vote in the Senate in the event of a tie vote on a bill.

Now - Manchin has already said he won't support abolishing the filibuster; if so then the Dems still need 60 votes to end cloture, in effect meaning they can't pass anything just like the GOP couldn't either, except for confirmation votes for cabinet positions and federal judges including the Supreme Court. So, those Georgia runoff races do mean quite a lot.

I heard Manchin said that. But he has no history of following through, unfortunately. He has frequently voted with the wacko left, he can't be trusted

Funny how it always comes out that the Democrats just manage to get just what they need in the unlikeliest of circumstances. :smoke:

Why do you guys act like majority in the Senate matters when both parties abuse the filibuster anyway? The real goal is 60 - not 50 or 51.

I heard Manchin said that. But he has no history of following through, unfortunately. He has frequently voted with the wacko left, he can't be trusted

If we assume that both of those Georgia Senate runoff races go to the Dems then it would be 50-50 proposition with Harris casting the deciding vote and giving the Dems the Senate majority. Assuming Biden wins of course. If all that happens, then I would expect ENORMOUS pressure on Manchin and any other recalcitrant Senate democrats to vote the party line and abolish the filibuster, pack the SCOTUS, and every other bullshit Far Left program on their agenda. History will not look back kindly on them if they cave. BUT- all that is IMHO very unlikely; not impossible though.

Taz: ' He did ' No he didn't, not yet anyway.

G.T.: ' Why do you guys act like majority in the Senate matters when both parties abuse the filibuster anyway? "

Not sure you understand how important the filibuster is, or maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say. Right now, Senate rules say that debate on a given bill requires a 60 vote majority to close the discussion (cloture) and vote on the bill. If 60 senators do not vote to close the debate, then for all intents and purposes the bill is dead. So, assuming the majority party doesn't have 60 votes to do that, then the minority party can stop the bill from passing; a vote to pass the bill is never taken.

Now, here's the problem. The democrats are saying they will abolish the filibuster rule to end debate on a bill, thereby reducing it to a simple majority (51 votes) to end the debate and another simple majority to pass the bill. Essentially that filibuster rule is there to try to force the majority party to work with, compromise with, and cooperate with the minority party to arrive at some agreement to get the bill passed through the cloture vote. Take away the filibuster rule and you're left with mob rule; the minority party would have no say at all in what gets passed. That's the way it is in the House, it's all dominated by the majority party as long as they can keep all their members together so to speak and vote with the party line. IMHO, that would be a travesty, future majority parties will never give up the power to do as they please in the Senate unless one of their own defects.

Why do you guys act like majority in the Senate matters when both parties abuse the filibuster anyway? The real goal is 60 - not 50 or 51.
A Senate majority is important if the other Party wins the White House. But I wouldn't want to depend on Romney.

A Senate majority is important if the other Party wins the White House. But I wouldn't want to depend on Romney.
McConnell did just fine using the filibuster under Obama.

If we assume that both of those Georgia Senate runoff races go to the Dems then it would be 50-50 proposition with Harris casting the deciding vote and giving the Dems the Senate majority. Assuming Biden wins of course. If all that happens, then I would expect ENORMOUS pressure on Manchin and any other recalcitrant Senate democrats to vote the party line and abolish the filibuster, pack the SCOTUS, and every other bullshit Far Left program on their agenda. History will not look back kindly on them if they cave. BUT- all that is IMHO very unlikely; not impossible though.

Taz: ' He did ' No he didn't, not yet anyway.

G.T.: ' Why do you guys act like majority in the Senate matters when both parties abuse the filibuster anyway? "

Not sure you understand how important the filibuster is, or maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say. Right now, Senate rules say that debate on a given bill requires a 60 vote majority to close the discussion (cloture) and vote on the bill. If 60 senators do not vote to close the debate, then for all intents and purposes the bill is dead. So, assuming the majority party doesn't have 60 votes to do that, then the minority party can stop the bill from passing; a vote to pass the bill is never taken.

Now, here's the problem. The democrats are saying they will abolish the filibuster rule to end debate on a bill, thereby reducing it to a simple majority (51 votes) to end the debate and another simple majority to pass the bill. Essentially that filibuster rule is there to try to force the majority party to work with, compromise with, and cooperate with the minority party to arrive at some agreement to get the bill passed through the cloture vote. Take away the filibuster rule and you're left with mob rule; the minority party would have no say at all in what gets passed. That's the way it is in the House, it's all dominated by the majority party as long as they can keep all their members together so to speak and vote with the party line. IMHO, that would be a travesty, future majority parties will never give up the power to do as they please in the Senate unless one of their own defects.
That IS my point.

As long as there's a filibuster - Majority / minority status really doesnt mean too much because they've hyper partisan-ized the filibuster anyway.

What does one story about one instance have to do with fuckall?

B: I never even said he broke norms anyways...

You messageboard arguer dorks are so obsessive

Forum List

Back