Suggest a Philosophy book

61++y5KoABL.jpg

Be careful what you ask for. There are hundreds of choices. Many are available to read for free on the internet. Do a simple search.

It'll take a bit of time and patience to find what topics and philosophers you like best.

Choose carefully and you'll love spending time with your reading. But some of these books can be so dry and convoluted that they could turn a person off the subject forever.

Your public library is a great place to begin your search. There's a collection of philosophy books published decades ago called Classics Club editions. There are some excellent books in that collection. Most library have the entire set available.

I'm guilty on #11.
1641066379824.png

The book is divided into chapters with each title representing one of the following twelve specific rules for life as explained through an essay.

1. "Stand up straight with your shoulders back."
  2. "Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping."
  3. "Make friends with people who want the best for you."
  4. "Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today."
  5. "Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them."
  6. "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world."
  7. "Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)."
  8. "Tell the truth — or, at least, don’t lie."
  9. "Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t."
  10. "Be precise in your speech."
  11. "Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding."
  12. "Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street."

Can you suggest a Philosophy for beginners? Thank you!
Think about what areas of philosophy you enjoy most and go after that are, the rest will bleed over as your study goes along.

One of my favorite books in that arena is Gary Zukav's "The Dancing Wu-li Masters": it's really a beginners guide to quantum mechanics: a fascinating read, and from it you will pick up basics about religion and philosophy that can bee used as a reference for your area of philosophical interest.

Can you suggest a Philosophy for beginners? Thank you!

Leaves of Gold (1958)

I have a white copy, a brown copy and oddly enough, a copy with a very country kitchen look to it. It's like a pastel plaid. I think. I keep one in my library/lounge, one by the kitchen table and the white one, I don't where I put that one, I forget.

If you're lucky you can find one with the gold feather bookmarker. My brown one has one.

Forum List

Back