Submariners at sea likely shielded from knowledge of coronavirus pandemic

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Submariners conducting missions at sea are likely among the last people in the world to be unaware of the coronavirus pandemic turning life upside down back home.

Current and former officers who served aboard France's nuclear-armed subs say mariners aboard ballistic submarines are routinely spared bad news while underwater to encourage undivided focus on their top-secret missions and to avoid undermining their morale.
SURPRISE!!!

That's a bit jacked up.

I get it. Not much they can do at 20,000 leagues under the sea, but worry.

no upside......

Shit, that sounds pretty good to me right now, actually. lol.

Hell on the surface Fleet in the Gulf ........people back home knew more than we did about what was going on............LOL

Too busy keeping the old rust buckets going back then..........

Submariners conducting missions at sea are likely among the last people in the world to be unaware of the coronavirus pandemic turning life upside down back home.

Current and former officers who served aboard France's nuclear-armed subs say mariners aboard ballistic submarines are routinely spared bad news while underwater to encourage undivided focus on their top-secret missions and to avoid undermining their morale.
SURPRISE!!!

That's a bit jacked up.

It is, but that's a very dangerous job and they need to be I it 100%. It sucks, but it has to be.

SURPRISE!!!

That's a bit jacked up.

Honestly, I don't see that this is bad. If you informed everyone about it... other than worry, and fret, and pointless anxiety about people back home.... what can they do?

Nothing.

So what exactly is the down side to them not knowing?

Imagine their surprise when they surface?

Jared Leto was in a quarantine pod and didn't even know it. The Oscar winner emerged from a nearly two-week retreat on Sunday only to learn about the severity of the coronavirus.

Leto revealed on social media he had "no idea what was happening" in the world.

"Wow. 12 days ago I began a silent meditation in the desert," he wrote on Monday. "We were totally isolated. No phone, no communication etc. We had no idea what was happening outside the facility."

Leto said he "walked out... into a very different world."

SURPRISE!!!

That's a bit jacked up.

When you're on ballistic missile patrol crewmen aren't allowed to receive bad news from the outside world.

I was on patrol when a report came in to command that the mother of a missile tech had died. He wasn't told for three months until the boat was almost back in port.

1585602055102.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

SURPRISE!!!

That's a bit jacked up.
That's where my nephew is on a sub in the us navy ...I'm very proud of him ...hes a good kid ..my sister n brother in law raised him right ..

He wanted to be an engineer...my sister had a heart attack when he dropped out of ohio state and said ma I joined the navy lol

He did it right ...he knew better cause his momma would of beat him lol ....trumps not Hitler my sister is ...she runs a tight ship....my poor brother in law hes so laid back to

Anyway the kid waited to drop out after he completed his second year at ohio state ...he did it the right way and hes got all those college credits ...the navy snapped him right up

Hes married now to ....which I discouraged him from doing told him wait till hes 25 or 30 ....married his high school sweetie ......uh boy

Forum List

Back