Stupid Indeed!

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
No, Thanks, We're Stupid
By Tony Blankley, Washington Times
October 18, 2006

Apparently, these anticipated conservative non-voters are annoyed with Republican imperfection. They are disheartened, disappointed, disillusioned, distempered, dismal -- and thus plan to dis the party that better advances conservative principles in government.

They appear to have fallen victim to the false syllogism: 1) Something must be done; 2) not voting is something; therefore, 3) I will not vote.

Of course, the fallacy of the syllogism is that the second category could be anything. For example, number two could as well read "eating dog excrement is something." I rather suspect that they will feel about the same afterward, whether they chose the non-voting option or the scatological one. They are both equally illogical -- and repulsive -- and would deserve the moniker, "Stupid."

Here are some tell-tale signs of the sort of person who would vote (or not vote) to cause the election of a party which would act to defeat every value and interest he holds dear (merely because the party that will at least try to advance most of those issues has not done as well as he might have hoped):

1) When offered by a car dealer 25 percent off on a car, he insists on paying the full factory recommended retail sticker price -- because he is damned if he will accept 25 percent when he deserves 30 percent off.

2) When the prettiest cheerleader asks the nerd to take her to the prom, he turns her down -- just because he can.

3) When stopped for doing 70 in a 65 zone, he tells the trooper that's not possible because he had the cruise control set on 90 -- he just resents being falsely charged.

4) When diagnosed with a serious illness, he promptly cancels his medical insurance -- in order to save the cost of premium payments to help pay for the upcoming hospital stay.

A conservative would have to be just that stupid to stay home on Nov. 7.

for full article:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/tblankley.htm

The 'something' that must be done to 'cure' the Republican party is to vote...in the primaries. Once you get to the general electi9on, it's a choice between dissappointing and dangerous, and staying home is dangerous.

The 'something' that must be done to 'cure' the Republican party is to vote...in the primaries. Once you get to the general electi9on, it's a choice between dissappointing and dangerous, and staying home is dangerous.

Exactly, it amazes me how people dont get this.

Republicans are only giving us part of what we want so we are supposed to vote for Democrats who are going to give us all of what we dont want? it makes no sense.

I understand the frustration with Republican voters, but as Hobbit said, that is for the primaries. Now its your duty to vote for who best fits your ideals. If you truly feel that none of the candidates fit your ideals, then i can respect that. However, if these republicans are doing this as a a temper tantrum for not getting their way, then they are no better then the liberal democrats that cry every election when they lose it.

On a side note, I feel this "Republican Discord" is completely overblown. The media wants to push this idea to suppress voter turnout (yes i know the very principle they have been fighting against in every recent election because Democrats have lost.) So any descending voice is trumpeted and echoed across the fruited plains in order to make those dull-witted twits in the heartland stay home this fall. We'll see how effective it is in November.

On a side note, I feel this "Republican Discord" is completely overblown. The media wants to push this idea to suppress voter turnout

I have a very hard time believing the polls reflect reality as well. Republicans are just not that stupid--considering the alternative available to them. I suppose there are a few disgruntled Republicans who think they can exact revenge by not voting--but as the title of the post indicates "Stupid Indeed!"

New Topics

Forum List

Back