Study: White liberals dumb themselves down when speaking to minorities

So you attack the person, but not the message? Hmm, Interesting.
This, from the person who had just insulted a large group of people:
Because poor uneducated white people in Appalachia are so smart, that’s why they don’t even need education.
Mind-blowing.

Let people like this be a cautionary tale, folks. Don't let a partisan ideology consume you.

It blinds you, and it can make you this nasty and transparent and hypocritical.

And gee, they just keep trying to change the subject, don't they?

No surprise, of course.
Hmm, why would I say something like that.

I know, let's loot at the facts, shall we?

Most Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad for the Country

Does the White Working Class Really Vote Against Its Own Interests?

Are working-class white voters shooting themselves in the foot by making common cause with a political movement that is fundamentally inimical to their economic self-interest? In exchange for policies like the new tax bill, which several nonpartisan analyses conclude will lower taxes on the wealthy and raise them for the working class, did they really just settle for a wall that will likely never be built, a rebel yell for Confederate monuments most of them will never visit, and the hollow validation of a disappearing world in which white was up and brown and black were down? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes)

Infant Mortality and Life Expectancy in Appalachia Versus the Rest of the US

------------------

I don't know what else to say?

Just look at the facts.

Because poor uneducated white people in Appalachia are so smart, that’s why they don’t even need education.
Mind-blowing.

Let people like this be a cautionary tale, folks. Don't let a partisan ideology consume you.

No surprise, of course.

Are working-class white voters shooting themselves in the foot by making common cause with a political movement that is fundamentally inimical to their economic self-interest? In exchange for policies like the new tax bill, which several nonpartisan analyses conclude will lower taxes on the wealthy and raise them for the working class, did they really just settle for a wall that will likely never be built, a rebel yell for Confederate monuments most of them will never visit, and the hollow validation of a disappearing world in which white was up and brown and black were down? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes)

------------------

Just look at the facts.
Black Americans all but vote in unison to remain on the plantation.

Fact.

Mind-blowing.

No surprise, of course.

------------------

Just look at the facts.
You need to produce REAL facts before you can say "look at the facts".

Dialing down on the verbiage is not equal to "dumbing down",
But it does mean exactly that, in this case.

No, it does not. You have to inject "dumb" into the study for your argument to work, and because YOU associate simpler words and "dumb". It goes without mention, you won't find "dumb" anywhere mentioned in the article. "Dumbing down" means over-simplifying a text, and missing the complexity of any matter described. That is most emphatically not what the study describes.

Bigotry means the unshakable conviction of one's own (usually ill-founded) opinions and intolerance toward the opinions of others.

And, it can mean this:

Definition of bigotry

1: obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices : the state of mind of a bigot

"Prejudices"....in this case, "I will dumb it down for you, because minorities are dumb"

You are throwing a fit for no reason.

You know, "prejudices". Average African American education levels, and English language proficiency, are lower than Whites'. So it seems, the term "prejudices" also doesn't escape your distortions when your "argument" requires it. Instead, unable convincingly to counter my argument, you are now speculating about me "throwing a fit".

As I said before, we could argue long and, very likely, without any conclusive result about the (de-) merits of using lower level vocabulary when talking to a generic (stereotypical) African American. But your rush to judgment, based - I repeat - on preliminary evidence and speculation about motives, is misguided.

No, it does not. You have to inject "dumb" into the study for your argument to work, and because YOU associate simpler words and "dumb".
Correct, because that is the correct association. But feel free to to argue a different reason why they are suddenly using simple words. In your rabid fit, you keep forgetting to present your alternative explanation. Don't post again until you have one to offer, thanks.

No, it does not. You have to inject "dumb" into the study for your argument to work, and because YOU associate simpler words and "dumb".
Correct, because that is the correct association. But feel free to to argue a different reason why they are suddenly using simple words. In your rabid fit, you keep forgetting to present your alternative explanation. Don't post again until you have one to offer, thanks.
Because liberals are condescending, self-superior racists. Always have been since the slave days.

Because liberals are condescending, self-superior racists. Always have been since the slave days.
That's nice. *Pats aba's head

Can someone please give Aba some attention? He is begging for some.

That's nice. *Pats aba's head

Can someone please give Aba some attention? He is begging for some.
Hey you asked, lady.

Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
Liberals dumb themselves down merely by being liberals.

Mind-blowing.

No surprise, of course.

------------------

Just look at the facts.

Well, when you have baristas with $150,000 in student loans for their Masters Degree in LGBTQ studies, how is that good for anyone?

Ah, I see. Cutting out my argument makes it not only disappear, it actually didn't happen. Not enough to ascribe "throwing a fit" to me, now you really think you can order me around? No matter, I had a nice chuckle.

So... YOU associate simpler words and "dumb". Because: "Correct, because that is the correct association."

You have never met any smart people with very little formal education and mediocre English language proficiency, and you have never met any dumb pricks with a college education and lots of pricey words. Methinks, you need to get out more.

Never, ever, has a text - meant to establish social contact between two people - been dumbed down merely because the word "happy" was used instead of "elated". Any assumption to the contrary is just preposterous.

Well, when you have baristas with $150,000 in student loans for their Masters Degree in LGBTQ studies, how is that good for anyone?
Yes, excellent argument for getting rid of college. No more student debt, just a country chock full of stupid people. Sweet.

Yes, excellent argument for getting rid of college. No more student debt, just a country chock full of stupid people. Sweet.

Yes, we definitely need more smart people with Racial Grievance Studies degrees.
And tons of debt.
Those lattes aren't going to make themselves, eh comrade?

So... YOU associate simpler words and "dumb"
In this case, correct, i do. Not always. So your hamhanded, unqualified argument is useless against what i am saying.

What do you suppose a "downshift in competence " means? Those are big words, so take your time. ;) I could "dumb that down" for you, if you like.

What is your alternative explanation? Oops, you keep forgetting to tell us.
You have never met any smart people with very little formal education and mediocre English language proficiency
Irrelevat. We aren't saying the minorities aren't smart, we are saying people are assuming they aren't. What a stupid, whiny thing for you to say, and even dumber for you to think it speaks to this topic.

Never, ever, has a text - meant to establish social contact between two people - been dumbed down merely because the word "happy" was used instead of "elated".
Of course, this is stupid as well, because patterns are being studied, not "a single instance". And yes, texts are "dumbed down" for less competent people all the time. We call these "Lower level children's books", and "lay journals", and "readers digest".

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
It seems like I always have to "dumb down" for conservatives. But not for blacks.

What about black conservatives? You cultist intersectionalists succeed meteorically at one thing . . . shooting yourselves in the foot every time you open your mouths to vomit-proselytize for your ideological religion of post modernism. You have not clue what you said this statement about "But not for blacks" do you? Are you the only one whose mirrors show no reflection? Of course not. There's millions more of you fools out there and that's the problem.

Mind-blowing.

No surprise, of course.

------------------

Just look at the facts.
And you continue to try to change the subject of the thread.

I know what people like you think of people you feel are inferior to you.

THAT is the point of the thread. You're just changing the group.

Wow, you think a LOT of people are inferior to you. Including Black Americans.

in related news, their leadership thinks dems are to dumb to understand them, that's why no blue wave

Forum List

Back