Street preacher, 71, arrested for ‘distressing’ public with ‘homophobic’ rants

When a man takes more than one wife, isn't he committing adultery? He is violating the vows that he made to his first, and only, wife. Remember that in marriage ceremonies, people swear faith to each other on solemn oath.
Well, not exactly, strictly speaking. In marriage ceremony, the people vow to be together until death takes one of them. They say nothing about the possibility to take one more wife while remaining in marriage.
So you think that it is okay to have more than one spouse. Do women have the same option to have more than one husband?
No, I don't. And that wasnt the point of discussion.

When a man takes more than one wife, isn't he committing adultery? He is violating the vows that he made to his first, and only, wife. Remember that in marriage ceremonies, people swear faith to each other on solemn oath.
Well, not exactly, strictly speaking. In marriage ceremony, the people vow to be together until death takes one of them. They say nothing about the possibility to take one more wife while remaining in marriage.
So you think that it is okay to have more than one spouse. Do women have the same option to have more than one husband?

What was the point of discussion then? the discussion already had turned from the arrest of this idiot, and whether it was proper, to people expounding about passages from their bible about marriage. So the point of this thread was lost before I made the comment that you are responding to. Before that, I had commented only on the arrest.

Tommy Tainant explained in post No. 43 that he and his colleagues, most of whom were gay, had been disturbed when they were dining al fresco in Birmingham, England, and one of these "preachers" insisted on interfering with their meal together. In general, this "preacher's" speech would have been disturbing to any diner of any sexual orientation, even if he were expounding loudly on the virtues of his cocker spaniel, but was especially insulting to his gay colleagues for obvious reasons.

Religious obsessives, like drunks, seem to think that it is their right, at any time, to pester others just going about their business. I know. When I was working at my first real job, in downtown DC, the Moonies came and took over the little park across the street where we used to take our lunch and sit. Forget having a peaceful lunch in the open air with my friends. It was constant Moonie-babble for weeks, and they would even approach you when you came out of the building.

If this guy wanted to lecture, he should have gone to the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.

What was the point of discussion then? the discussion already had turned from the arrest of this idiot, and whether it was proper, to people expounding about passages from their bible about marriage. So the point of this thread was lost before I made the comment that you are responding to. Before that, I had commented only on the arrest.

Tommy Tainant explained in post No. 43 that he and his colleagues, most of whom were gay, had been disturbed when they were dining al fresco in Birmingham, England, and one of these "preachers" insisted on interfering with their meal together. In general, this "preacher's" speech would have been disturbing to any diner of any sexual orientation, even if he were expounding loudly on the virtues of his cocker spaniel, but was especially insulting to his gay colleagues for obvious reasons.

Religious obsessives, like drunks, seem to think that it is their right, at any time, to pester others just going about their business. I know. When I was working at my first real job, in downtown DC, the Moonies came and took over the little park across the street where we used to take our lunch and sit. Forget having a peaceful lunch in the open air with my friends. It was constant Moonie-babble for weeks, and they would even approach you when you came out of the building.

If this guy wanted to lecture, he should have gone to the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.
I was talking about whether polygamy is directly forbidden in the Bible (or more specifically in the OT). Though, I agree with you a discussion about that is not the purpose of this thread.

About the issue raised in the OP, I can't say something meaningful about it, I am afraid. I support the freedom of speech as much as possible and consider it one of the pillars of a free society. But also I understand that it cant be absolute. I agree that there should be the golden mean.

I have a couple of questions, though they dont directly fit the OP, so it is up to you to answer them or not. What is your stance on people blocking the streets while protesting something? And what is your stance on people without home who live on the streets where they choose themselves?

I have a couple of questions, though they dont directly fit the OP, so it is up to you to answer them or not. What is your stance on people blocking the streets while protesting something? And what is your stance on people without home who live on the streets where they choose themselves?
I don't have any stance on people blocking the streets while protesting something. People do it all the time. I live in the DC area and used to work downtown where this happens all the time. One just is patient. Everybody comes to DC to protest. Nobody ran down the protesters marching down Constitution Ave. to the Capitol on Jan. 6, did they?

People live on the streets because they have no home. Homelessness is a symptom of a much larger social problem. We have totally neglected our social problems for decades, and so society is just reaping what it has sown. Look at the idiots who just say "get them out of here" or "get a job" without ever considering why people are homeless: mental illness? PTSD? wages that have no correlation to local housing prices? There are many interrelated factors to consider. Some people yell "get a job" without ever thinking things through. Availability of jobs that match skill sets, affordable housing, transportation, child care. Our decades of stupidity are catching up, even though there have been people who have tried very hard during these decades to find solutions to these problems.

I have a basic rule: everybody has to be somewhere.

I don't have any stance on people blocking the streets while protesting something. People do it all the time. I live in the DC area and used to work downtown where this happens all the time. One just is patient. Everybody comes to DC to protest. Nobody ran down the protesters marching down Constitution Ave. to the Capitol on Jan. 6, did they?

People live on the streets because they have no home. Homelessness is a symptom of a much larger social problem. We have totally neglected our social problems for decades, and so society is just reaping what it has sown. Look at the idiots who just say "get them out of here" or "get a job" without ever considering why people are homeless: mental illness? PTSD? wages that have no correlation to local housing prices? There are many interrelated factors to consider. Some people yell "get a job" without ever thinking things through. Availability of jobs that match skill sets, affordable housing, transportation, child care. Our decades of stupidity are catching up, even though there have been people who have tried very hard during these decades to find solutions to these problems.

Teenagers who insist on not doing their homework, go and get drunk, get marks well below their ability, are sexually active, give their parents and teachers nothing but grief ------ are well on their way to living on the street.

Teenagers who insist on not doing their homework, go and get drunk, get marks well below their ability, are sexually active, give their parents and teachers nothing but grief ------ are well on their way to living on the street.

So you aren't capable of analyzing a complex subject. Ever hear of the old saying that the devil is in the details? Moreover, teenagers are not adults. Don't tell me you never made a mistake in judgment in your teen years as to such things as not applying yourself to your studies, drinking, having sex, giving parents and teachers grief? Were you the virgin valedictorian who never had liquor cross your lips? How long did that last? :rolleyes:

So you aren't capable of analyzing a complex subject. Ever hear of the old saying that the devil is in the details? Moreover, teenagers are not adults. Don't tell me you never made a mistake in judgment in your teen years as to such things as not applying yourself to your studies, drinking, having sex, giving parents and teachers grief? Were you the virgin valedictorian who never had liquor cross your lips? How long did that last? :rolleyes:
I jolly well know that teenagers are not adults, and that is why I find that people that encourage them to have sex, and drink and pretend to know everything, as being ignorant of why GOD says in His word what HE says. It's not to limit but to protect.

I jolly well know that teenagers are not adults, and that is why I find that people that encourage them to have sex, and drink and pretend to know everything, as being ignorant of why GOD says in His word what HE says. It's not to limit but to protect.
Who encourages teens to have sex and drink and pretend to know everything? I don't know of anyone who does. You are just writing as a member of some cult. I take it that you are a member of some "Christian" religious sect. Have you followed these edicts in your own life?

In the UK "free speech" can cost you plenty. People aren't truly free until they can say what they like
and you can read the comments and see who is a state lackey and who is free.

It is also difficult to own firearms in the UK.

You are not a citizen in the UK, you are a subject.

View attachment 485281

And yet they are freer than you will ever be.
At one time we were far freer than those in England or in the UK today. We had freedoms they could only dream of. We had something called the Bill of Rights. It limited the power of the government.

Today we are losing our freedom at a rapid rate. If the now Maxist Democratic Party gets its way we will work for our government rather than the people we elect working for us. We already have two rules of law. One rule applies to Hunter and Joe Biden, the Clintons, Comey, Clapper, Brennan, Pelosi and Maxine Waters. The other rule of law applies to republicans and the little people in our nation. We no longer live in a well functioning representative democracy or constitutional republic but instead a modern day Yankee Banana Republic.

In the UK "free speech" can cost you plenty. People aren't truly free until they can say what they like

View attachment 485281

At one time we were far freer than those in England or in the UK today. We had freedoms they could only dream of. We had something called the Bill of Rights. It limited the power of the government.

Today we are losing our freedom at a rapid rate. If the now Maxist Democratic Party gets its way we will work for our government rather than the people we elect working for us. We already have two rules of law. One rule applies to Hunter and Joe Biden, the Clintons, Comey, Clapper, Brennan, Pelosi and Maxine Waters. The other rule of law applies to republicans and the little people in our nation. We no longer live in a well functioning representative democracy or constitutional republic but instead a modern day Yankee Banana Republic.
Most of us are these "little people" whom you talk about. The republicans don't represent us. These "little people" include non-white people, women, people of varying faiths and no faith, people of various ethnicities, single parents. All working. All on a budget. Not billionaires with mansions, private planes, and yachts.

Most of us are these "little people" whom you talk about. The republicans don't represent us. These "little people" include non-white people, women, people of varying faiths and no faith, people of various ethnicities, single parents. All working. All on a budget. Not billionaires with mansions, private planes, and yachts.
:rolleyes: Those poor average citizens (like Tom Steyer, Mark Zuckerberg..who bankrolled the theft of the presidency, Jay Inslee, Michael Bloomberg, and of course, Big Daddy, George Soros).

No billionaires, mansions, private planes and yachts there.

Last edited:
OIn the UK "free speech" can cost you plenty. People aren't truly free until they can say what they like

View attachment 485281

First I am not truly a establishment GOP republican but instead a democrat left behind by the suddenly batshit crazy Marxist Democratic Party. I am a “Deplorable“ conservative who supports candidates willing to stand up for the Bill of Rights in our state legislations, our Congress in Washington D.C. and as the President of our nation.

I prefer candidates like Donald Trump over the wimpy Mitt Romney types that typify the basically useless establishment Republican Party who tried to be the Democratic Party lite (like watered down lite beer is to real beer).

Plenty of republicans are poor and live very similar lives to the people you describe. Not all republicans are white and not all white republicans are “billionaires with mansions, private planes and yachts.” Most are the little people I describe. They go to prison for not following the rules on classified information unlike Hillary Clinton who acts like those rules are chicken shit to be violated with impunity.

A Sailor Did Prison Time Over Classified Photos. Now He's Suing The Government Because Others Didn't - Task & Purpose

The new Republican Party that will support Trump if he runs for President in 2024 is not racist nor is it full to the brim with white supremacists. It doesn’t care what your skin color is and welcomes minorities. It likes legal immigrants but is in favor of a border with Mexico that curtails the entry of illegal immigrants who pay fees totaling thousands of dollars to the Mexican drug cartels to be allowed to enter our nation. It should be obvious to any rational person that we need to overhaul our outdated immigration laws. The Democratic Party and the outdated establishment Republican Party have no interest in doing that. Trump at least tried to get new immigration legislation passed.

This new and different Republican Party believes in freedom of speech and religion, the Second Amendment, the right of privacy from unwarranted government surveillance and the end of useless wars just to make the military industrial complex rich beyond belief. We put America first and have pride in our nation. We realize this is not a perfect nation but it is one of the best — and most likely the best nation in this world even under Biden, Harris, Pelosi and Schumer.

We support the police but want to see all have good training and we want to find the bad cops and replace them. We have no problem with peaceful demonstrations but riots with looting and burning and bricks being thrown at the police are an entirely different matter.

One thing for sure is this new Republican Party‘s founder was Donald Trump. We have a lot to thank him for and hopefully he will run again in 2024 and make this nation great again after the Democrats have once again screwed everything up.

An elderly pastor was arrested on the streets of London for making “homophobic comments” and telling passers-by that same-sex couples were against “God’s created order”.
I'm glad I live in the good ol' USA where I still have some 1st amendment protected speach.
Give it 20 to 30 years. This current generation will twist the 1st amendment to exclude "hate speech"

Forum List

Back