Strawberries

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I bought a strawberry plant last year but it didn't produce any fruit. It at least stayed alive and I water it regularly. The leaves are beautiful blah, blah, blah.

I learned yesterday that you might need two plants for germination unless it specifically says self-germinating. This morning I went to look at the little label stick and it doesn't have anything listed but I noticed there are a couple of flowers. A strawberry plant produces runners.

Here is my question. Is it possible for the runner from the first plant to become the second plant needed for germination?
20220221_082409.jpg

I bought a strawberry plant last year but it didn't produce any fruit. It at least stayed alive and I water it regularly. The leaves are beautiful blah, blah, blah.

I learned yesterday that you might need two plants for germination unless it specifically says self-germinating. This morning I went to look at the little label stick and it doesn't have anything listed but I noticed there are a couple of flowers. A strawberry plant produces runners.

Here is my question. Is it possible for the runner from the first plant to become the second plant needed for germination? View attachment 604540

No idea, but a little red fingernail polish on those nails would be sexy. :04:

Most varieties of strawberry don't fruit in the first year.

Too much or too little water will prevent fruiting.

Too much (particularly nitrogen) or too little fertilizer will prevent fruiting.

It's the same with bush bean ... an excess of nitrogen will enhance leaf production, to the expense of fruit.

I find it easier just to buy strawberries either at the store or at the upick places. They are a tad fussy and do not all come in at the same time so I have never been able to get enough to do anything with all at once when I tried growing them.

The package of strawberries I get from the store doesn't last very long. In fact, I ran into the same problem with other fruits from farm stands last year that were ridiculously overpriced. I figured it would cut down on my grocery bill. No matter.

I just gave most of my bare root ones and the planter to a neighbor who can keep them alive. I kind of want to start the whole thing over again from bare root because I learned so much and I think I have the right cups. Still have my one in the pot and two that I may have killed.

This website is a great resource for growing Strawberries.

Growing Strawberries

Strawberries are very sensitive to heavy wet soils they tend to just rot away.

If you have good drainage and that includes SURFACE drainage but if your soil too slow to drain, then create a raised bed of at least 5' wide and be well composted too to prevent easy droughty conditions.

Read the Site Selection in the link as it is the number one factor in being successful.

Here is my question. Is it possible for the runner from the first plant to become the second plant needed for germination? View attachment 604540
Depending on your zone and the time of year you planted it will dictate if it will produce strawberries. Around here zone 7-8 strawberries start producing in May

I find it easier just to buy strawberries either at the store or at the upick places. They are a tad fussy and do not all come in at the same time so I have never been able to get enough to do anything with all at once when I tried growing them.
true!

Forum List

Back