Stranger (Netflix)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I am a sucker for South Korean movies. They are much better than the crap Hollywood cranks out.

Stranger is a kdrama (Korean Drama) about a prosecutor who has a handicap which required brain surgery as a kid resulting in him being unable to feel empathy or express emotions.

There are two 16-episode seasons, each episode is about one hour long.

I've only watched the first season so far, but the acting and story are incredibly well done.

It seems a lot of Korean movies and dramas are about police and government corruption. So much so that one can't help but wonder if this is a real problem in that country.

The first season starts with the murder of a broker of corrupt deals who acts as the go-between who carries bribes to government officials (including the police and prosecutors) on behalf of big business.

Our hero arrives on the scene coincidentally just as the murder has occurred. He quickly deduces a TV repairman was somehow involved and the game is afoot.

The prosecutor ends up partnering up with a policewoman who learns to ignore his coldness as they unravel a very complicated plot. Who in the police force and prosector's office are corrupt and who isn't?

This is a great show, the only difficulty being the Korean names are so different from a Western perspective that it took me a while to figure out who the characters were talking about when referring to someone not present in the scene.

Yes, it has subtitles. I know this is a deal breaker for a lot of people, but if you skip a Korean movie or show just because of that, you are seriously cheating yourself out of some great stuff. And that's a shame.

Last edited:
Oh. I should mention there are no explosions or sex scenes in this show. They had to relay entirely on story and acting instead.

I have finished watching the second season.

The second season is far more complex than the first season, but well worth the watch.

This is a great series.

I just wanted to bump this topic to again encourage you to watch this show.

This is Law & Order on steroids. It is still on Netflix.

You cannot watch this show in English dubbing. It only allows the original Korean dialog with English subtitles. I know that's a non-starter for some people, but you will be missing out on one of the best shows ever made.

This show has a lot of A-list South Korean actors.

There is another Netflix series called The Stranger. Don't get them confused.

Forum List

Back