Strange Number lock issue..

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
I'm baffled here.,. Relied on the number pad for years to navigate while editing text.. Almost ALWAYS have it off. So I can arrows and paging.. RECENTLY, while on the web thru Chrome or IExp, EVERYTHING is operating like the NumLock is ON.

Doesn't happen in any OFF line apps.. Not MS Office or notepad or any other app... Browsers are HIJACKING my NumLock key? Even just checked the "intitial settings" with RegEdit --- Default is NumLock OFF...

Driving me crazy.. Can't be the ONLY one seeing this? Is there like a "collective settings" for ALL browsers or something?

no NUMLOCK problem here. Mouse scroll arrow popping up on screen for no reason today. Figured either reset for new system or replace battery. :)
BTW not using IE or Chrome. Firefox.

Maybe uninstall the keyboard driver from device manager and then restart the computer. That'll reinstall the driver automatically at restart.

I haven't used Windows in a long time, but I know that usually resolves hardware issues.

no NUMLOCK problem here. Mouse scroll arrow popping up on screen for no reason today. Figured either reset for new system or replace battery. :)
Mouse scroll arrow popping up on screen for no reason today.

as soon as you start the scroll up, the arrow appears. if you scroll down, it disappears

Mouse scroll arrow popping up on screen for no reason today.

as soon as you start the scroll up, the arrow appears. if you scroll down, it disappears
Yes, but it is more than that. It stays on preventing typing. Just had this system up for 3 days, since HD on the laptop bit the dust. Learning lots of new crap. Haven't had desktop since 2014. Never had windows 10 before. Seen wireless mouse problems before. Not a prob, but surprised you having to diagnose bizarre NUMLOCK prob. From what I have gleaned on the board, you, and the other Mods, way above my skill set. Good luck with yours.

If you're talking about the mouse icon changing to an "up and down" arrow when you point in the rt hand scroll bar --- then THAT problem gets fixed by just "left clicking" anywhere in the scroll bar.. Then control returns to the mouse. That's how I "fix" it, but don't know what combo of key strokes or clicks gets you INTO that mess..

Looks like some vestige of the mobile touch gestures crept into the NON-mobile of Xenforo...

Hmm. Try using older browser?

Seemed to happen right after a big update of Google Chrome.. But I have an older version of IE that does the same thing..

It's amazing because for every other application that's NOT under a browser -- it recognizes the state of the NumLock key... I "binged" for an hour today trying to find another person with this problem.

I'm baffled here.,. Relied on the number pad for years to navigate while editing text.. Almost ALWAYS have it off. So I can arrows and paging.. RECENTLY, while on the web thru Chrome or IExp, EVERYTHING is operating like the NumLock is ON.

Doesn't happen in any OFF line apps.. Not MS Office or notepad or any other app... Browsers are HIJACKING my NumLock key? Even just checked the "intitial settings" with RegEdit --- Default is NumLock OFF...

Driving me crazy.. Can't be the ONLY one seeing this? Is there like a "collective settings" for ALL browsers or something?
Sorry but I have no clue how to help with this one, I NEVER use the number pad so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Find out how to Access the BIOS in your brand. Most are by repeatedly pressing Delete or F12 as soon as you start the machine.You navigate the BIOS with the arrows.Find the number lock in there and disable it. Then you'll have to turn it on or off by the button above they keyboard to use or kill it.
Pretty basic..... just go watch a video on Tube for your brand.
You wont hurt anything if you hit the wrong triggers. It will ask "save before leaving(F10)". If you're unsure just hit no and it will auto restart and you'll be back where you started before the attempt.

Sorry but I have no clue how to help with this one, I NEVER use the number pad so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Really handy to have an "end, home, Pgup, pgdwn and arrows" while I'm text editing.. So ingrained I can't do without it.. I end up with 1s and 4s and 6s in everything I try to type..

Think you guys have given me some ideas.. So I'm gonna try a few things..

Really handy to have an "end, home, Pgup, pgdwn and arrows" while I'm text editing.. So ingrained I can't do without it.. I end up with 1s and 4s and 6s in everything I try to type..

Think you guys have given me some ideas.. So I'm gonna try a few things..
It's all in what you're used to. My wife uses keyboard shortcuts, I use the keyboard to type and play games, the mouse takes care of everything else.

On the Win 10 laptop I have had some similar issues. Little different, but problems.
Instead of being ON... mine shuts itself off. Unlike you I always have it on, and even sometimes I will have just used it... and I have to turn it back on. I am not accidentally hitting the key. Also many times when closing the laptop, and later opening it.... it is OFF again.
Drives me nuts.

Forum List

Back