Stop the deep hierarchy quotes and quit alerting other than the top level

Levant

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2020
Northeast Oklahoma
In another thread, there's been about 12 pages of two trolls feeding off of each other with less than a dozen posts total from other than those two. Yet I had 59 alerts this afternoon, mostly from those two trolls because, somewhere in the miles deep hierarchy of quotes they're quoting, I had said something a week ago that has nothing at all to do with their week-long troll fest. I unwatched the thread and, still, I get the alerts for my posts being quoted when it wasn't my post at all; I was just buried somewhere in the middle of their crap.

One or two levels of context is plenty when quoting. Context is a great thing but it could be implemented better. Flat rather than hierarchical and max of 2 or 3 levels of context. And the only one that should get an alert on a quote is the very top level. Please :) Alerts have become unmanageable and useless with this trollfest in the 2nd Amendment rights for felons thread.

In another thread, there's been about 12 pages of two trolls feeding off of each other with less than a dozen posts total from other than those two. Yet I had 59 alerts this afternoon, mostly from those two trolls because, somewhere in the miles deep hierarchy of quotes they're quoting, I had said something a week ago that has nothing at all to do with their week-long troll fest. I unwatched the thread and, still, I get the alerts for my posts being quoted when it wasn't my post at all; I was just buried somewhere in the middle of their crap.

One or two levels of context is plenty when quoting. Context is a great thing but it could be implemented better. Flat rather than hierarchical and max of 2 or 3 levels of context. And the only one that should get an alert on a quote is the very top level. Please :) Alerts have become unmanageable and useless with this trollfest in the 2nd Amendment rights for felons thread.
YOU can control this in YOUR control panel. You are welcome.

Click on your account name, upper right corner of the page >>> then click preferences >>> change the alert settings >>> hit Save

I miss the old format.

I still don’t see anything in the new version that is an improvement

The old software version was no longer supported, thus the reason for the upgrade.

Well this is Xenforo…......
Didn’t exactly go smoothly

New versions are supposed to improve on previous versions. We lost a lot of functionality and still have major bugs waiting to be fixed.

I miss the old format.

I still don’t see anything in the new version that is an improvement

The old software version was no longer supported, thus the reason for the upgrade.

Well this is Xenforo…......
Didn’t exactly go smoothly

New versions are supposed to improve on previous versions. We lost a lot of functionality and still have major bugs waiting to be fixed.

Yeah there were problems, but this is an overrated forum software being used, that is why it has glaring weaknesses.

I suspect the older version had add ons to it, that this never version doesn't have, after all every add on is a separate expense.

In good free forum software, you can chose any of hundreds to thousands of add ons ( plug ins ) that cost nothing. Example for my favorite FREE forum software, myBB:

LINK

31 pages of Plug ins, 8 pages for Themes, 6 pages of Graphics

Click on your account name, upper right corner of the page >>> then click preferences >>> change the alert settings >>> hit Save

I'd been there from the first suggestion for settings. Which alert will keep me from being alerted when my post is in the middle of a deep hierarchy but not keep me from being alerted when my post is the top level?

I'd been there from the first suggestion for settings. Which alert will keep me from being alerted when my post is in the middle of a deep hierarchy but not keep me from being alerted when my post is the top level?

I don't think the alert system is going to be that specific for you.

I don't think the alert system is going to be that specific for you.

Then I think there's still a change in order.

Turning off notifications isn't a practical solution to the problem because then you don't get notifications at all. The problem isn't notifications. That's just a consequence of the problem.

The solution is to leave people out of the quote to whom you're not speaking. Just respond to the person to whom you're speaking. It's just lazinesss.

Having to scroll for five minute to get passed all of that nonsense is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Turning off notifications isn't a practical solution to the problem because then you don't get notifications at all. The problem isn't notifications. That's just a consequence of the problem.

The solution is to leave people out of the quote to whom you're not speaking. Just respond to the person to whom you're speaking. It's just lazinesss.

Having to scroll for five minute to get passed all of that nonsense is ridiculous.

I usually try to trim my quotes, but not always. The problem is that what someone is quoting is never displayed; it's alway hidden and then you have to expand it and, as you said, scroll to hell and back to see the intended quote.

The solution is to leave people out of the quote to whom you're not speaking. Just respond to the person to whom you're speaking.
Yes, the new selective quote feature is cool beans and IF I REMEMBER TO USE IT it works great. Hard habit to break, hitting "reply" and going to town. When I see a real long string though, I start over and break it. If I'm not all seeing red and oblivious at the time, anyway.

I have had my alerts about any replies off for years. I was getting them in my email, not just alerts. I get enough junk in email AND considering how much I post, it would be a frickin' mile long list everyday.

So I miss a lot of insults and cheap shots. I only know if someone has replied in a thread (possibly to me) if I get a reaction. And I don't get an alert to that, either.

Unwatch the thread and poof your problem is solved...

I got over 40 alerts from two idiots arguing how smart they were.
Not smart enough to edit.
Hitting the dummy reply is just laziness.

Let's practice "quote distancing" people, and "flatten the curve" of infinite quote chains. "We are all in this together" and can "mitigate" the spread from this issue.

No; I unwatched the thread and still got the alerts when my content was included in the middle of the quotes.

No; I unwatched the thread and still got the alerts when my content was included in the middle of the quotes.

Half the time I do not get alerts, so you get too many and I get very little... This place is buggy...

Ditto...this is annoying.

Forum List

Back