Stop coddling Warren Buffett

I don't pay taxes to McDonald's and yet they're still there to prepare food for me if I so choose to give them my business. There's no reason why we would have to go back to a hunter-gatherer society with no income tax, or any replacement for it, and in fact we'd have more money to spend on food. We also had roads and bridges before the income tax as well.

You didn't specify 'income tax'.

There are only two types of roads built: roads funded by tax payers and shared by all and roads funded by private interests and charged for use accordingly.

There are some projects that We, The People should fund and own collectively.

Government is not THE answer but it is AN answer and only a fool leaves so powerful a tool unused because it burned him once.

Well I see all taxation as theft, but I thought we were discussing the income tax specifically since you mentioned the fair tax. There really isn't anything that "The People" can own collectively. How do I exercise my share of the ownership of something that we all own? It's impossible.

Just hop in your private vehicle and drive across country on public roads.

We, The People collectively own the interstates and, as one of The Peeps, you're free to drive them ad nausea, provided you comply with the rules, as established by We, The People of the various states the roads cross.

Government IS a useful tool, as long as it's held in check by fair taxes and a budget balanced by law.

As most of the media goes gaga over Billionaire Obama fundraiser Warren Buffett calling for tax hikes, (like he did in 2001, and 2004, and plenty of times in between), let’s remember a few things.

Buffett Profits from Taxes He Supports

Buffett regularly lobbies for higher estate taxes. He also has repeatedly bought up family businesses forced to sell because the heirs’ death-tax bill exceeded the business’s liquid assets. He owns life insurance companies that rely on the death tax in order to sell their estate-planning businesses.

Buffett Profits from Government Spending

Buffett made about a billion dollars off of the Wall Street bailout by investing in Goldman Sachs on the assumption Uncle Sam would bail it out. He also is planning investments in ethanol giant ADM and government-contracting leviathan General Dynamics.

If your businesses’ revenue comes from the U.S. Treasury, of course you want more wealth.
Stop coddling Warren Buffett | Campaign 2012

So now we see why Warren Buffett supports higher taxes. If he really wanted his taxes raised for principled reasons he would be free to send a donation of any amount he wanted to the federal government.

Damn.

I just posted this, I missed your post.

There's another motive for Warren to pump the class wars. HIS income is Capital Gains. That's why he pays at a 17.7 marginal rate. So if he can get the ignorant masses on the left to raise the INCOME TAX bracket (ala Bush tax cuts) -- then those folks will shift from salary to investment income..

Who runs the Cadillac of Investment stocks - Bershire Hathaway? Yup --- ole Warren.. Voila --- Warren pays NO MORE than he did before and Berkshire Hathaway gets 100,000 new investors.. BRILLIANT..

Yes we LOVE it when "the rich" manipulate leftist dupes.... Add George Soros to the folks doing the manipulating. With the left's help he might be able to bring the dollar to it's knees..

Um, Warren Buffet supports counting capital gains as regular income, and taxing it as such. So your theory needs work.

No he doesn't, he supports raising the income tax rates. Even if you raise the capital gains tax he will simply defer his gains until they go back down, and profit off of everyone that cannot afford to wait as long as he can.

I'll grant you that "0" is a fair number for all to pay, but I prefer a society and all it's trappings, like time to do something besides acquire and prepare food, don't you?

"7" is a fair number... how about every legal being pay a 7% income tax and a 7% sales tax? If everyone chipped in their fair share, we could have our cake and eat it too, ass-u-me-ing a balanced budget law was passed in the following breath.

Sounds as fair as "0" to me and we still get to share things like roads and bridges.

I don't pay taxes to McDonald's and yet they're still there to prepare food for me if I so choose to give them my business. There's no reason why we would have to go back to a hunter-gatherer society with no income tax, or any replacement for it, and in fact we'd have more money to spend on food. We also had roads and bridges before the income tax as well.

There are only two types of roads built: roads funded by tax payers and shared by all and roads funded by private interests and charged for use accordingly.

Government is not THE answer but it is AN answer and only a fool leaves so powerful a tool unused because it burned him once.

You obviously do not live in the rural south. Plenty of farmers build their own roads, and allow everyone to use them free of charge. My guess is the same thing happens other places, that is the way things get done in a can do world where people do not expect the government to step in and fix everything for them.

There's another motive for Warren to pump the class wars. HIS income is Capital Gains. That's why he pays at a 17.7 marginal rate. So if he can get the ignorant masses on the left to raise the INCOME TAX bracket (ala Bush tax cuts) -- then those folks will shift from salary to investment income..

Who runs the Cadillac of Investment stocks - Bershire Hathaway? Yup --- ole Warren.. Voila --- Warren pays NO MORE than he did before and Berkshire Hathaway gets 100,000 new investors.. BRILLIANT..

Yes we LOVE it when "the rich" manipulate leftist dupes.... Add George Soros to the folks doing the manipulating. With the left's help he might be able to bring the dollar to it's knees..

Um, Warren Buffet supports counting capital gains as regular income, and taxing it as such. So your theory needs work.

No he doesn't, he supports raising the income tax rates. Even if you raise the capital gains tax he will simply defer his gains until they go back down, and profit off of everyone that cannot afford to wait as long as he can.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article.

Warren Buffett has been publicly complaining about the low capital gains rates for years, repeating calling to attention the fact that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. He has always supported returning capital gains rates to the same as income rates, and not as a temporary solution.

Is there ANY OTHER Democrat plan for the economy other than "eat the rich"??

Didn't think so.. Why don't we give it to them? It IS after all an election cycle and can be rapidly fixed when they lose their asses in 2012.. I'm so disillusioned by the ignorance.

One of the big diffs between leftys and the rest of us is that leftys have a dimmer view of human potential and capacity to survive. Because they see an ocean of incompetents crying out for their enlightened help..

I'm beginning to believe there is an ocean of them.. I'm slipping to the left... HELLLLLLPPPPPPPP

Well I see all taxation as theft, but I thought we were discussing the income tax specifically since you mentioned the fair tax. There really isn't anything that "The People" can own collectively. How do I exercise my share of the ownership of something that we all own? It's impossible.

Just hop in your private vehicle and drive across country on public roads.

We, The People collectively own the interstates and, as one of The Peeps, you're free to drive them ad nausea, provided you comply with the rules, as established by We, The People of the various states the roads cross.

Government IS a useful tool, as long as it's held in check by fair taxes and a budget balanced by law.

I don't have a choice but to use the public roads, however.

Government is force, and force is only useful to aggressors.

The solution for today isn't 'higher taxes' any more than the solution in 2003 was 'lower taxes'.

The solution remains 'fair taxes'.

Simple taxes = Fair taxes.

Fair taxes, a budget balanced by law and then build a society that you can proudly give to your children.

Complex taxes = Corruption.
Google Search: U S Tax Law :eek:

The only "fair" tax is no tax at all.

so you hate the military

Hate is such a strong word, and what you said could be construed quite a few ways.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article.

Warren Buffett has been publicly complaining about the low capital gains rates for years, repeating calling to attention the fact that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. He has always supported returning capital gains rates to the same as income rates, and not as a temporary solution.

Apparently you have not paid attention to what he actually says.

Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (£26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”

Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

I am pretty sure that Warren Buffet knows the difference between capital gains and income taxes. Also, like many people here have pointed out, if he wants to pay more income taxes all he has to do is not file for all the tax deductions he does that actually puts his tax rate below that of his secretary who cannot afford to pay all the lawyers and Buffet pays to keep his taxes low.

Better yet, he can turn his staff loose on his secretary's income and get her lower taxes.

Forum List

Back