Stop Coddling The Super Rich

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Billionaire Warren Buffett urged U.S. lawmakers to raise taxes on the country's super-rich to help cut the budget deficit, saying such a move will not hurt investments.

"My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It's time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice," The 80-year-old "Oracle of Omaha" wrote in an opinion article in The New York Times.

I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income - and that's actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent," he said.

"I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone - not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 - shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain," he said

"People invest to make money, and potential taxes have never scared them off."

Stop coddling the super-rich: Buffett - Yahoo! News

that this nation, under $God$, shall have a new birth of $freedom$—and that government of the super rich, by the super rich, for the super rich, shall not perish from the earth.

Billionaire Warren Buffett urged U.S. lawmakers to raise taxes on the country's super-rich to help cut the budget deficit, saying such a move will not hurt investments.

"My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It's time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice," The 80-year-old "Oracle of Omaha" wrote in an opinion article in The New York Times.

I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income - and that's actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent," he said.

"I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone - not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 - shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain," he said

Buffett can pay as much as he wants to the government. Why does he have to be forced?

Buffett can pay as much as he wants to the government. Why does he have to be forced?

Living in a society means people working together to achieve a common goal, not individual efforts. Strange concept for you I'm sure.

Living in a society means people working together to achieve a common goal, not individual efforts. Strange concept for you I'm sure.

So forcing the rich to pay MORE than their fair is people working together?

The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per*cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax.

The top 5 percent earns 33 percent and pays 57 percent of the income tax.

The top 10 percent earns 44 percent and pays 68 pecent...... Top 25 percent earns 66 and pays 85 percent of the income tax.

The bottom 50 percent earns 13 percent and pays 3 percent in income tax.

Somehow those numbers don't reflect society "working together" but more like the bottom half feeding off the top half.

And you idiot liberals wants the top to pay even more. And you wonder why they operate overseas outside our tax code.

Don't call them obscenely wealthy :mad: They're, according to the T/Repub playbook, job-creators. No matter that real wages haven't gone up in going on 40 yrs :)

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Whatever happened to equal protection under the law? Now you just want to hammer them on taxes. I prefer "everyone" pay their fair share. We need a flat tax. The rich hire everyone else with their money not the poor.

All we need do is encentivize BIG CAPITAL to invest in AMERICAN industry.

Tax BREAKS obviously don't do that.

Even more obviously TAX INCREASES don't do that either.

If you want to SELL INTO THE AMERICAN MARKET?

Create your products in AMERICA.

If we did that, folks?

The American depression would be over in a few years.

Last edited:
according to the T-Pubs, they aren't "obscenely rich", they're "job-creators" :doubt: :lol:

How many jobs have you gotten from a poor man?

Why do you worship the rich? If you had any initiative you would create your own opportunities and not rely on someone else to create a job for you.

Worship the rich? Not hardly, but I damn sure don't condemn them.

Fact is I consider myself rather wealthy, I co-own two business as well as work full time as a consultant for a large industrial construction company earning a 6 figure salary.

How many jobs have you gotten from a poor man?

Why do you worship the rich? If you had any initiative you would create your own opportunities and not rely on someone else to create a job for you.

Worship the rich? Not hardly, but I damn sure don't condemn them.

Fact is I consider myself rather wealthy, I co-own two business as well as work full time as a consultant for a large industrial construction company earning a 6 figure salary.

I don't condemn them either. Asking millionaires to pay taxes more in line with what they traditionally have before the Bush era tax cuts is hardly condemning them. Your worship of them is not flattering.

Sure, not singling out the super rich is "coddling" them. 1% of taxpayers pay 40% of our bills. It's not class warfare, it's classless warfare. This is our problem, people like you want to dump your responsibilities on someone else. Then you don't care what it costs because you aren't paying for it. Until you man up to your own responsibilities we're going to continue to run massive deficits and you're just going to continue to figure out someone new to drop your flaming shit bag on their front porch.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back