Stop Antisemitism

August 4, 2022

Dear University Administrators and Stakeholders,

We write on behalf of StandWithUs, an international non-profit organization with the dual mission of educating about Israel and fighting antisemitism. We wish to alert you to five issues relating to the Jewish community that are likely to arise on campuses throughout the country this academic year. Should they emerge, they will adversely impact the climate for Jewish students. We write to ensure you have notice of these issues and suggest solutions for addressing them. We also wish to provide you with resources to protect against the normalization or minimization of antisemitism at your school. Most importantly, please know we are here to help you navigate these matters. The five issues of concern are:

1) Faculty members hindering students’ educational opportunities because of antisemitic and/or anti-Israel bias.

In recent years, faculty members have attempted to stifle Jewish and Zionist students’ educational opportunities in line with the discriminatory Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) campaign, which calls for an academic boycott of Israel. An academic boycott violates university academic guidelines and discrimination policies. Examples of a faculty member’s academic boycott may include refusing to help students apply for study abroad programs in Israel, refusing to review dissertations about Israel, or refusing to make recommendations on hiring, promotion, and grant-making decisions involving Jewish, Zionist, or Israeli students.

In short, there are numerous activities in which students regularly engage that could be stifled by biased faculty members who participate in BDS. We ask your administration to be on alert for student allegations of such discriminatory practice. If such incidents occur, we request that you take swift remedial action to protect students’ academic rights, hold faculty members accountable, and ensure an educational environment free from antisemitic discrimination. See this illustrative example from the University of Michigan.

2) Exploitation of the classroom to indoctrinate students with anti-Israel or antisemitic bias rather than teaching them critical thinking.

Classroom discussions that normalize or minimize antisemitism remain a primary way in which Jewish students feel marginalized on campus. Students increasingly report hiding the Zionist aspect[1] of their Jewish identity in the classroom for fear of retribution, intimidation, or ostracism by peers and/or grade retribution by professors. The American Association of University Professors’ (AAUP’s) Joint Statement on Rights and Freedoms of Students makes clear that “[t]he professor in the classroom and in conference should encourage free discussion, inquiry, and expression”; students “should be free to take reasoned exception to the data or views offered in any course of study and to reserve judgment about matters of opinion”; and they “should have protection through orderly procedures against prejudiced or capricious academic evaluation.”

We urge you to (1) explain this AAUP principle to all teaching faculty and staff; (2) ensure that there is an identifiable process for evaluating claims of antisemitic discrimination or bias in the classroom; and (3) educate students about their right to protection from biased instruction and how to avail themselves of a remedy should such bias occur. See this illustrative example from William Patterson University.

(full article online)

In August 2021, the Yale Postdoctoral Association's (YPA) 'Racial Justice Committee' published a “Resource on Palestine” on its website.

The publication included several anti-Se, causing other members of YPA to publish the “Response to the Resource on Palestine” in May 2022, which called on YPA to make changes to the original source.

The YPA sub-committee initially referred to Israeli citizens as colonizers, likened Israel’s treatment of Palestinians to apartheid in South Africa, and supported the boycott, divestment, and sanctions movement (BDS), an international campaign that, according to the 'Response to the Resource on Palestine,' aims “to isolate and pressure Israel until it ceases to exist.”

Members of YPA claimed that the resource contributed to instances of anti-Semitism across Yale University's campus, pointing to the fact that emails of the statement were shared by multiple faculty members, who created “an anti-Israeli sentiment on campus.”

Both YPA’s publication of the resource and the internal feud between members is just one example of the undercurrent of antisemitism on college campuses.

In February, for example, Campus Reform reported that University of Chicago students told their peers “not to take ‘S****Y ZIONIST CLASSES.” They did so just before Holocaust Remembrance day.

Then in May, Campus Reform discovered that Natalie Shclover, a Jewish student at the University of Connecticut, was denied a meeting with her university’s interim president to discuss her experience of anti-Semitism.

(full article online)

Meshwar Media has been accused of publishing content in the past denying the Holocaust, with references to “the Holohoax” as being “virtually the biggest lie in history.” It has also republished a odious opinion article from Al Jazeera which claimed that violence is an inherent characteristic in Judaism. And it has also been accused of attempting to use the Hebrew Bible to spread antisemitic messaging, by republishing an Al Jazeera column which claimed that “if you look at the Bible, the Jews are the real terrorists in the name of the Lord.”

While errors sometimes happen even by the best journalists, this is not the case with these incidents from Sakher Sabeel and Meshwar Media. In our view, these two recent cases – of Ghalia Abu Sitta’s interview and poem, and Nabeel Oudeh’s short story and the corresponding cartoon, demonstrate deeply problematic antisemitic incidents requiring both condemnation and rectification.

When asked for comment, Nazih Khatatba, the General Director for Meshwar Media, failed to condemn Oudeh’s short story and instead accused HonestReporting Canada of following “what your officials in the Israeli occupation government” dictates, and claimed that Arabs “are victims of these holocausts.” This statement alone qualifies as antisemitism according to IHRA as Khatatba compared contemporary Israeli policy to the Nazis.

(full article online)

Well...I posted a poster here earlier, from the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership organization... (the Jewish NRA)...depicting how if Jews had not been disarmed in Germany they might have had a fighting chance to deal with the hatred being directed at them. And then one can also look at incidents such as the mass killing in a Pittsburgh synagogue, any common Sense can tell you that if one of those Jews had been armed he may have been able to save some lives, and maybe have one less hater around to perpetrate crimes against people for being Jewish.

That poster was deleted, and being "off topic" was cited as the reason.

I fail to see how arming oneself against hatred doesn't answer the question at least from one point of view...how hatred can be stopped. One can only clue that whichever moderator chose to delete it was driven by highly subjective motivation in their decision to do so, and in fact was way more off topic than I was.

Well...I posted a poster here earlier, from the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership organization... (the Jewish NRA)...depicting how if Jews had not been disarmed in Germany they might have had a fighting chance to deal with the hatred being directed at them. And then one can also look at incidents such as the mass killing in a Pittsburgh synagogue, any common Sense can tell you that if one of those Jews had been armed he may have been able to save some lives, and maybe have one less hater around to perpetrate crimes against people for being Jewish.

That poster was deleted, and being "off topic" was cited as the reason.

I fail to see how arming oneself against hatred doesn't answer the question at least from one point of view...how hatred can be stopped. One can only clue that whichever moderator chose to delete it was driven by highly subjective motivation in their decision to do so, and in fact was way more off topic than I was.
Your post was a clear Pro Gun Propaganda, and not anything that had to do with antisemitism.

Education, not guns, is the way to stop antisemitism. Fighting BDS is stopping antisemitism. Catching those who attack Jews physically or verbally, is fighting antisemitism. Fighting Antisemitism in Campuses, is stopping antisemitism.

While the material has been known for more than a decade and has been touted by the AJC for even longer, this exhibit could have not come at a better time. The Anti-Defamation League reported earlier this year that in 2021, anti-Semitism reached the highest level since they began tracking it in 1979. This includes of 2,717 reported incidents of assault, harassment and vandalism, with more than 680 “Jewish individuals violently beaten in the streets from New York to Los Angeles” last May during Israel’s 11-day conflict with Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

With that, “Confronting Hate,” says Bonelli, doesn’t tell you how to combat anti-Semitism; the message is to not give in to fear or cynicism. “Not that they are going to wipe out anti-Semitism and racism,” the archivist says, “but they believe that they can make progress.”

Schmidt Bach says that the material expresses optimism and goes beyond explaining that Jews are just like the others: “Even if you don’t understand someone who is different than you, there is so much that we could learn from each other.”

(full article online)

In an article in the Jewish News last week, Lionel Idan, the hate crime lead prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) claimed that the CPS takes antisemitic crime seriously. Our experience, however, has suggested otherwise.

In our response in this week’s Jewish News, Chief Executive of Campaign Against Antisemitism, Gideon Falter, argued that “most of the article sought to defend the CPS against the accusation levelled by 59 percent of British Jews in our most recent polling that his organisation fails to do enough to protect our community,” but that the examples and statistics that he cited failed to provide the reassurance that the CPS believed that they would.

To find out why, read the full article at OPINION: Smoke and mirrors from the CPS cannot hide the truth

Campaign Against Antisemitism’s analysis of Home Office statistics shows that an average of over three hate crimes are directed at Jews every single day in England and Wales, with Jews more than four times likelier to be targets of hate crimes than any other faith group.

When asked for what advice they would give to Jews in the acting industry who may be experiencing antisemitism but aren’t sure what to do, the actor said: “Find other Jews that you can talk to and you can say, ‘This happened and I’m not sure about that,’ and more often than not, someone else can go ‘That is antisemitism,’ or ‘That’s not okay’.

“Just try and talk as much as possible. And if you can, call it out. You’d probably be surprised that people are willing to listen. If I could say something to myself ten years ago, I would say call it out more.”

Mr Thorpe-Spinks explained that he found it easier to call out antisemitism once he began tracing his familial roots back, which offered him an appreciation of his Jewish heritage, allowing him to feel emboldened enough to say something.

“It made me understand who I am a bit more, and was proud of who I am, and I think that sense of empowerment would make it easier to call things out,” he said. “For a lot of my childhood, I was Sam who was technically Jewish but wasn’t interested, and maybe when I experienced antisemitism, I would not have associated myself with it, to be honest. But because I have discovered my ancestry, I suddenly go ‘I am proud of what they went through and of who I am’, and I think there’s a real empowerment to that kind of self-discovery.”

Throughout the interview, the duo touched upon a variety of other issues, including whether non-Jews can play Jewish characters and last year’s incident in which the Royal Court Theatre came under intense scrutiny after the greedy billionaire character in its play Rare Earth Mettle was given the name Herschel Fink.

(full article online)

A court has agreed to reinstate the racially/religiously aggravated element to charges against Abdullah Qureshi. The decision comes after Campaign Against Antisemitism and other groups applied pressure to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which had earlier dropped the hate element from the charges.

On 7th April, Mr Qureshi, 28, from Dewsbury in West Yorkshire, pleaded guilty at Thames Magistrates’ Court to one count of assault by beating and one count of grievous bodily harm with intent. The charges related to a series of assaults on 18th August 2021 in Stamford Hill in which five religious Jews in the North London neighbourhood were violently attacked.

Campaign Against Antisemitism then revealed that the CPS had dropped the racially/religiously aggravated element of those charges as part of a plea deal with Mr Qureshi. After we, Shomrim, CST and other communal organisations made representations to the CPS, it agreed to reinstate the aggravated elements, but Mr Qureshi appeared in court to resist the reinstatement of the aggravated element.

Explaining the reinstatement at court, the prosecutor said that these are “serious allegations” and that “the file was reviewed again and a decision was made to proceed with the offences.” However, counsel for Mr Qureshi argued that this submission should not be accepted, describing it as “ridiculous” and an “abuse of process”.

The CPS was instructed to provide its reasons in writing, with an opportunity for the defence to respond in writing, followed by a hearing in the summer.

That hearing took place today at Stratford Magistrates’ Court, where the court decided in favour of the reinstatement. There will now be a plea hearing later this month at Thames Magistrates’ Court.

In one incident at 18:41 on the day of the attacks last August, an Orthodox Jewish man was struck in the face with what appeared to be a bottle. In another at 19:10, a child was slapped on the back of the head, and in yet another at 20:30, a 64-year-old victim was struck and left unconscious on the ground, suffering facial injuries and a broken ankle. Two further incidents were also alleged.

The incidents received significant media attention at the time, and the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, condemned “this appalling attack,” adding: “Let me be clear, racist abuse and hate crime, including antisemitism, have absolutely no place in our city.”

Your post was a clear Pro Gun Propaganda, and not anything that had to do with antisemitism.

Education, not guns, is the way to stop antisemitism. Fighting BDS is stopping antisemitism. Catching those who attack Jews physically or verbally, is fighting antisemitism. Fighting Antisemitism in Campuses, is stopping antisemitism.

There is no "one" answer. Many...or several....things, can help deter antisemitism. Arming against it is one way. Education is another. And "education" is ALSO full of subjective opinions as well. If you don't like the fact that I both support Jews AND guns, that's too bad. I am 1/4 Jewish myself and am frequently asked if I am (which religiously I am not). That is one consideration I have submitted, and I maintain that if many of these Jews who have been victims of violence were armed, it likely could have been stopped earlier. Jews have a tendency to be pacifists and are anti-gun MUCH more frequently than not, and this has contributed to their victimization in many places. There is no one perfect right answer.

If we can’t create a watertight consensus around the fact that caricatures of Jews with hooked noses are not just antisemitic, but impregnated with the potential for the violence of the Nazi era, or that casual references to the “Jewish lobby” revive those same tendencies, then we are never going to be successful when it comes to the more coded expressions of antisemitism. Jewish educators, unfortunately, now need to focus on drawing out the intimate links between the anti-Semitic caricatures of the last century and those in this one. We can no longer assume that basic knowledge of the Holocaust plays an immunizing role, especially as the Nazi extermination program fades further and further into history.

Just as the fight against racism starts with identifying and isolating its ugliest and most dishonest claims (black men as “natural” sexual predators, Roma and Sinti gypsies as “natural” thieves and so forth) so it is with antisemitism (Jews as “natural” exploiters who cynically damage other people’s interests as they pursue their own). As hard as it is to admit, we still need basic education about how to identify and correctly respond to the transparent, uncomplicated antisemitism seen at the Documenta exhibition and in Miloon Kothari’s comments. Until we pull that basic task off, all the ambassadors and envoys and members of parliament lining up to condemn antisemitism are in danger of being written off as just so much window dressing.

(full article online)

Vince's personal fight against Israel has attracted two individuals to home games who share his worldview: former Labour Party chairman Jeremy Corbyn, and the Palestinian Liberation Organization's representative in Great Britain, Husam Zomlot.

Corbyn attended a Rovers home match at the height of his party's antisemitism scandal – following the revelation of several of his pro-Hezbollah and pro-Hamas remarks – during which he defiantly posed for photographs wearing the team scarf.

Zomlot, who was expelled from Washington after the Trump administration decided to shut down the PLO's office in the US, became a welcome guest at Rovers' stadium after the PLO flag was raised there at Vince's orders.

Last April, in a match against Rogate, Vince took his messaging a step further, inviting Zomlot onto the field. The billboards around the stadium were also put to use with messages calling to "End the invasion and occupation of Palestine." At the same time, Vince repeated his customary denigrations, through the exploitation of sports, and accused Israel of murdering civilians and destroying hospitals.

In accordance with antisemitic tradition, he even complained that the US was protecting Israel, evoking a familiar Jewish conspiracy theory. Anyone who remembers Vince's past on the fringes of the radical left (in the 1980s, he and a group of fellow radicals took over a military base earmarked for housing US soldiers), isn't really surprised. In Great Britain, however, which is accustomed to hostile sentiments toward Israel, this was apparently too much to bear.

Vince's spree of antisemitism woke up the UK's Jewish groups from their slumber, and one of them – UK Lawyers for Israel – petitioned the English Football Association to put an end to the practice of turning Rovers' matches into a stage for the dissemination of hate for the only democracy in the Middle East.

(full article online)

Algerian, Syrian and Iraqi newspapers have remained as resolutely antisemitic and anti-Israel over the years even as some other Arab countries have somewhat moderated their views.

This article in Algeria's Echorouk Online is a fever dream on how Israel can get destroyed, which is sort of an obsession in Algeria (Morocco's normalization treaty with Israel is driving them insane.)

The basis for the article is that Jews have sinned for thousands of years, and they are violating Allah's will now, so Allah will fulfill his promise and punish them and destroy Israel.

The article thinks of five scenarios of how this can happen:

1. Terror groups get the technology to create better missiles and ballistic missiles, which will be shot to the heart of Israeli cities and cause the frightened Jews to run away.

2. Terror groups acquire nuclear or biological weapons, which they can purchase from countries with more advanced programs. Hate for Israel is so extreme that the terror groups will happily scorch the land even if it becomes uninhabitable.

3. Arab countries combine into a democratic superpower which will them acquire nuclear weapons of their own. They can then force Israel to do whatever they want, including dismantling itself.

4. Less ambitious but Arab countries agree with each other to create a bloc that can act with magnified force.

5. Arabs will demographically take over Western countries in four or five generations, as the Westerners will prefer gay marriage and no children. They can then create international law and enforce it however they wish.

The article doesn't pretend that the purpose of destroying Israel is to create a Palestinian state - Palestinians are barely mentioned. Genocide of the Jews in the Middle East is its own reward; turning Israel into a vast nuclear wasteland that Palestinians cannot use is well worth it.

There is no other nation besides Israel that anyone writes such articles about. While there are plenty of articles that are similarly depraved, the scenarios listed where nuking Israel is considered a reasonable solution to the Jewish problem proves one thing:

Antisemitism is a mental illness.

Forum List

Back