Stolen Valor

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
It is being challenged now in federal court. Xavier Alvarez, a California man convicted in 2007 of falsely claiming to be a decorated Marine, is asking the U.S. Court of Appeals to overturn the conviction and rule the Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional. A ruling could come at any time.

Stolen Valor: Challenges to Fake Medals Met with Criticism - ABC News

I understand that there are 3 separate cases where the ACLU is trying to get the law overturned.

What say you Veterans? Is falsely claiming medals or service within the 1st amendment rights?

I would say that the people who died to defend the bill of rights might be sickened by the abuse the stolen valor law heaps on that bill.

Yes, falsely claiming you are a decorated combat vet is pathetic, but then the exposure itself should be humiliating. No one who falsely claims to have earned medal can cry foul when mocked after it is shown they are a fraud. That should be the punishment, not more legal repression by the central government.

Where would the right be without its fake soldiers bashing real soldiers?

I was not in the military (and if I claimed that I was I would be in violation of the Stolen Valor Act), but I agree that claiming to have been awarded military medals is highly inappropriate, and should be a crime if used to seek benefits or other accolades.

But in what situation is it and should it be inforced?

It is being challenged now in federal court. Xavier Alvarez, a California man convicted in 2007 of falsely claiming to be a decorated Marine, is asking the U.S. Court of Appeals to overturn the conviction and rule the Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional. A ruling could come at any time.

I understand that there are 3 separate cases where the ACLU is trying to get the law overturned.

What say you Veterans? Is falsely claiming medals or service within the 1st amendment rights?

Pretending to be a decorated soldier? He should have "moron" tattooed across his forehead.

Sometimes, the ACLU takes up a case because the law may not be completely clear. I know Republicans scream their hatred for the ACLU, but half of all their cases support Republicans. Even Sean Hannity was represented by the ACLU.

News Hounds: Sean Hannity Omits Key Details Of Past Job Dismissal ? And ACLU Assistance!

Speaking of fake medals.

george_bush_uniform.jpg

Pretending to be a decorated soldier? He should have "moron" tattooed across his forehead.

Sometimes, the ACLU takes up a case because the law may not be completely clear. I know Republicans scream their hatred for the ACLU, but half of all their cases support Republicans. Even Sean Hannity was represented by the ACLU.

News Hounds: Sean Hannity Omits Key Details Of Past Job Dismissal ? And ACLU Assistance!

Speaking of fake medals.

george_bush_uniform.jpg

rdean, you never cease to amaze me. You even have to cheapen this thread with your vile hatred and lies. Neg rep will be coming as soon as I have more rep to spread around. You betcha!

Speaking of fake medals.

george_bush_uniform.jpg

rdean, you never cease to amaze me. You even have to cheapen this thread with your vile hatred and lies. Neg rep will be coming as soon as I have more rep to spread around. You betcha!

It is my pleasure to undertake the task of negging the little shit.

It is Fraud. The book is a real eye opener. The Law is Just.

I was not in the military (and if I claimed that I was I would be in violation of the Stolen Valor Act), but I agree that claiming to have been awarded military medals is highly inappropriate, and should be a crime if used to seek benefits or other accolades.

But in what situation is it and should it be inforced?

I agree it should be a crime if it is used to falsely claim benefits.

However, lying and bragging should not be a crime. If you claim you have a PhD should you go to jail? If you claim you used to play third base for theYankee's, Should you be arrested?
If you claim you were a mighty warrier but it turns out you worked in the kitchen....should you be arrested?

Lying can be a crime. If you lie under oath, it is perjury.
If you lie in business, it is fraud.

Of course libs don't see it that way. Lying is just the way they roll.

The law actually uses a term coined by Juggs Burkett for his book of the same name, written about the vietnam fakers.

Although I find the phonies rather disgusting, they are more pathetic then criminal.

Most criminals are pathetic.
But they're still criminal.
False innuendo.

Claiming you have a medal is ONLY illegal because someone decided to make a pathetic attempt for attention that harms no one a crime.

Will we next arrest Dr Gregg for "Stolen Learning" because he claims he has a PhD in Genetics? Congress could pass just such a law and such pathetic behavior would suddenly become criminal. Such a law would nonetheless be inane.

I would say that the people who died to defend the bill of rights might be sickened by the abuse the stolen valor law heaps on that bill.

Yes, falsely claiming you are a decorated combat vet is pathetic, but then the exposure itself should be humiliating. No one who falsely claims to have earned medal can cry foul when mocked after it is shown they are a fraud. That should be the punishment, not more legal repression by the central government.
I agree.

I wish you military guys would drive US Army Retired off the board, what a phony fuck he is.

No body?

OK, I'll go first.

These lying scum suckers have no right under the First amendment to falsely claim medals or service. It is a slap in the face to every one of us who has served, And it cheapens the medals many of which the recipient died for.

Very well said and I agree. Bravo Zulu.

I say, Piss on the Frauds and hang them upside down. Where are the Guillotines, there are never enough guillotines when You need them! I say we dress them up in pink tutu's tie them up and sail their asses off to France!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This. Unless a medal bestows some lucrative reward (CMOH comes to mind), there is NO crime committed. However, there is nothing wrong with pointing these scums of the earth.

I agree.

I wish you military guys would drive US Army Retired off the board, what a phony fuck he is.

Well, yes. There IS that.

Most criminals are pathetic.
But they're still criminal.
False innuendo.

Claiming you have a medal is ONLY illegal because someone decided to make a pathetic attempt for attention that harms no one a crime.

Will we next arrest Dr Gregg for "Stolen Learning" because he claims he has a PhD in Genetics? Congress could pass just such a law and such pathetic behavior would suddenly become criminal. Such a law would nonetheless be inane.

Congress makes the following findings:
(1) Fraudulent claims surrounding the receipt of the Medal
of Honor, the distinguished-service cross, the Navy cross, the
Air Force cross, the Purple Heart, and other decorations and
medals awarded by the President or the Armed Forces of the
United States damage the reputation and meaning of such
decorations and medals.

http://ftp.resource.org/gpo.gov/laws/109/publ437.109.pdf

S. 1998:

Stolen Valor Act of 2005
109th Congress

This is a bill in the U.S. Congress originating in the Senate ("S."). A bill must be passed by both the Senate and House and then be signed by the President before it becomes law.

Because this bill was introduced in a previous session of Congress, no more action can occur on it.
Primary Source

See S. 1998 [109th] on THOMAS for the official source of information on this bill or resolution.

A bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to enhance protections relating to the reputation and meaning of the Medal of Honor and other military decorations and awards, and for other purposes.
Overview
Sponsor:

Sen. Kent Conrad [D-ND]

Occurred: Introduced Nov 10, 2005
Occurred: Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Occurred: Passed Senate Sep 7, 2006
Occurred: Passed House Dec 6, 2006
Occurred: Signed by President Dec 20, 2006
This bill became law. It was signed by George Bush.
Last Action:
Dec 20, 2006: Became Public Law No: 109-437.
Related:

Votes:

Sep 7, 2006: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.
Dec 6, 2006: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative’s position was not kept.

S. 1998 [109th]: Stolen Valor Act of 2005 (GovTrack.us)

It would seem that the US Congress disagrees with you.

Forum List

Back