Stir Fry..and other Ideas?

Creek_George

Feb 15, 2007
Northern Minnesota In A Cabin
There was a dam good post on a stir fry here...Has anyone else ever come up with new things...how to really make them mouth watering?..I got a recipe book..and could go by that...But wanted to share that I do up Fajitas..and instead of the wrap..did it over rice..& chowmein noodles with sweet & sour..Was a stir fry..but the fajita seasoning wasn't over powering...was almost like an Asian dish with the sweet & sour sauce...

Just yacking...I love food..quickest way to my heart...hahahahaha..:)

my wife and I stir fry red peppers, tofu and scallions with a ginger, garlic, hot pepper seasoning that we have grown to love so much we do it every week .... served over saffron rice, it is really elegant

There was a dam good post on a stir fry here...Has anyone else ever come up with new things...how to really make them mouth watering?..I got a recipe book..and could go by that...But wanted to share that I do up Fajitas..and instead of the wrap..did it over rice..& chowmein noodles with sweet & sour..Was a stir fry..but the fajita seasoning wasn't over powering...was almost like an Asian dish with the sweet & sour sauce...

Just yacking...I love food..quickest way to my heart...hahahahaha..:)

Was it this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=46614&highlight=stir

maybe this?

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=37558&postcount=15

The rest of the story:

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=3035&page=2&highlight=stir

Here is one to use the Oriental Brown sauce with,

General Tsao's Chicken

Ingredients:

Chicken 3/4 dice 1.5 lbs
fresh mushrooms 3.5 oz
Broccoli florrettes 5 oz
red pepper large dice 1 ea
vegetable oil 1 oz
fresh ginger minced 1 tspn
fresh garlic minced 1 tspn
scallion small diced 2 tspn

Coating:
egg 1 ea
water, cold 1.5 cups
cornstarch 8 oz

Sauce:
Brown Sauce 1.5 cups with:
hot bean paste 2 tspn
rice vinegar 1 tspn

Method:

1. Heat brown sauce add hot bean paste and rice vinegar, set aside and keep warm.
2. Coat chicken with eggs, water and cornstarch mixture.
3. Heat oil (enough to deep fry) to 350 in large heavy duty soup pot. Deep fry chicken until done.
4. Heat the 1oz vegetable oil in wok, add ginger, garlic, scallions, and vegetables. Cook until tender, add fried chicken and sauce mix well and serve.

Notes:
This recipe will yield about 8 portions.

Caution when deep frying on the stove top, make very sure the soup pot is stable and secure. You don't want 350 oil going anywhere. If you have a probe thermometer you can check the temperature of the oil. Really is the best way, they are around 10 buck in most supermarkets in the kitchen supply area.

Depending on the size of your fyer set up will determine how much you can fry. Work in small batches, you want each piece of chicken to be surrounded by oil try not to crowd the oil and have chicken touching chicken. You want a nice golden brown color to each piece. To check just take a piece out and cut open to look.

Also useful when fying is a metal slotted spoon or strainer to remove the fried items from the oil. Have a cookie sheet with several layers of paper towels on it to place the fried food on to help absorb any extra oil.

Thanks MaineMan & Kathy..:)

Ya know....this info is so great...(melting inside).

It's amazing that a stir fry...is/can be done like...well..We have American Mexican...and there is Asian American...and even Mexican Asian.

Thanks :)....I just so wish I could sit here now..and a plate handed to me...Is that bad?...It would smell so good right now...(pout).

You people seem to have it down to the last pinch of spices....

Next question...do you guys have any spare rooms for rent..that are available....I'd be great at clean up...hahahahaha..:)

Dam...Peanut Butter & Jelly tonight...Stir Fry tomorow...My place...:)

:)

Thanks MaineMan & Kathy..:)

Ya know....this info is so great...(melting inside).

It's amazing that a stir fry...is/can be done like...well..We have American Mexican...and there is Asian American...and even Mexican Asian.

Thanks :)....I just so wish I could sit here now..and a plate handed to me...Is that bad?...It would smell so good right now...(pout).

You people seem to have it down to the last pinch of spices....

Next question...do you guys have any spare rooms for rent..that are available....I'd be great at clean up...hahahahaha..:)

Dam...Peanut Butter & Jelly tonight...Stir Fry tomorow...My place...:)

:)
Thanks Creek, but the recipes I posted were from Dan, MtnBkr, a great cook and a knower of all beer. LOL!

chop four red bell peppers in french fry like shape.... stir fry in a wok with a little bit of peanut oil for maybe ten minutes. add two tablespoons of grated fresh ginger, two tablespoons minced garlic and a teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot!) plus 1/4 cup water.... add one package firm tofu (cubed) and stir fry for three minutes...add four scallions chopped.... one tablespoon of soy sauce and one tablespoon of sesame oil...stir...serve over rice.

my wife is a quasi-vegetarian and that is good enough for her, but I normally cook a small tuna steak on a grill pan as my "animal flesh" to accompany this.

DAM...that sounds good!!

I'll buy..if you fry..:)...Hahahahaha..:)

A man can get a big head on his shoulders when he thinks he's good at something...With these recipes..my head is swollen...:)

Grocery store tomorow...and beverages on me..:)

Thanks MaineMan & Kathy...you just created a monster..:)

DAM...that sounds good!!

I'll buy..if you fry..:)...Hahahahaha..:)

A man can get a big head on his shoulders when he thinks he's good at something...With these recipes..my head is swollen...:)

Grocery store tomorow...and beverages on me..:)

Thanks MaineMan & Kathy...you just created a monster..:)

What time is dinner? I'll bring dessert!

I've been making this for company quite a bit - and everyone loves it! Not stir fry - but quick, easy, and delicious!

Ginger-glazed Salmon

2 salmon filets or steaks
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs minced ginger
1/2 cup minced green onions (other onions can be used as well)
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs hoisin sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt & pepper

Dust salmon with cornstarch and set aside.

Mix together chicken broth, ginger, onion, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce. Heat on low in small sauce pan.

Heat oil in large skillet (I used medium high) Add salmon and brown on each side for 1 minute.

Pour sauce over salmon. (At this point, I reduced the heat a little bit). Cook the salmon for 3 or 4 minutes more on each side. The sauce will reduce and the ginger and onions should carmelize. Keep stirring the onions and ginger so they don’t burn. Serve and enjoy!

Dam!!...That sounds good Boedicca...auuugh..:)

I just got back from the store..and they had a chest full of fresh salmon...and at a good pice too...I even touched it...(smile).

This small town grocery is limited in there Asian Section..but got alot of the basics for fry...

I love going into town though...and love that grocery...The people are so dam nice..and curious about me as well...The International Man of Mystery..:)

If I ever/when I move on from here...sure gona miss small town grocery shoping...but not the prices..or the quality of the fresh vegetables...I think the people in the Antartic get fresher produce than what I can get my hands on..:(

Now I am curious - whereabouts are you located?

I've lived in cities all of my adult life - but have always been able to find small, owner operated places that provide personalized service. So much nicer than the big chains.

I'm located by the Canadian Border in Minnesota...and live in a small cabin just outside of a small town....

Ya can't get good produce up here even in the summer....and the stir fry dinner, I'm gona make in a little bit will be as expensive as if I had fresh lobster flown in from Main...It'll be yummy though...:)

I wish I had a big veggie garden to start playing in come spring...One of these days...:)

My mom's side of the family is originally from that area - but they moved to North Dakota. My grandparents would have a fabulous vegetable garden every year - but the winter was pretty grim. About the only fresh produce they would have in winter were root vegetables stored in the cellar.

There are a few nice veggie gardens in town here..I was surprised to see them..:)

If you do a raised bed..or at least have some black dirt to work with you can grow alot of the basics up here....I did a veggie garden for a lady in town last year...Being I'm novice veggie garden know soil..and how one has to really beef it up....Most places you'd have to haul soil in...Real acidic & rocky here...

I guess there use to be some old potato farms up here 90 years ago...I can't believe what they went through...and definately no profit...I could just imagine how brutal it was back then.

Some great blueberry & rasberry picking though...Plenty of game..and fresh fish....Maybe it's because I use to do so much veggie gardening..that one gets fussy..:)

The spot I'm at..I'd have to do raised bed...I call my back yard the glacier patio...all rock..:)

It is...unless I'm the one making it...hahahaha..:)

It's a cool dish...Just wish I was in the kitchen with the hands on part...and also this grocery store that I get supplies from has so little Asian stuff..that you'd swear the continent didn't exist....:)

I bought some of the stuff recommended here..and it was like...like expensive as hell...auuugh...

Gona do up some fajitas again..and do the rice & noodle thing with them again....I love to cook though...Dam...this place can make me hungry...hahahaha...:)

Forum List

Back