Stephen King's "Sleeping Beauties"

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The hard cover book weighs in at about 5 pounds (about 700 pages) . Almost too uncomfortable to read in bed. It's kind of a preposterous plot about (no spoiler, you get the idea in the first couple of pages) women who become wrapped in a cocoon when they fall asleep. I'm only about a 3rd of the way in but it's well written so it keeps your attention. The interesting thing is that it's co-authored by someone named Owen King and the brief bio on the flyleaf doesn't tell you it's Stephen King's son. I've never seen a father and son team write a book and I'm thinking it's a cheap shot by Stephen to give his kid a boost.

The hard cover book weighs in at about 5 pounds (about 700 pages) . Almost too uncomfortable to read in bed. It's kind of a preposterous plot about (no spoiler, you get the idea in the first couple of pages) women who become wrapped in a cocoon when they fall asleep. I'm only about a 3rd of the way in but it's well written so it keeps your attention. The interesting thing is that it's co-authored by someone named Owen King and the brief bio on the flyleaf doesn't tell you it's Stephen King's son. I've never seen a father and son team write a book and I'm thinking it's a cheap shot by Stephen to give his kid a boost.

Does he proofread for his dad? Is that even done anymore? Why didn't the publisher proofread all his previous books?

Why should he not?

Tony Hillerman and James Lee Burke helped out their daughters get started in the novelist business, and they are both doing well.

Stephen King fans probably knew Tabitha King was pregnant before she did. We're freaks that way.
Many parents will help their kids with whatever it is they have to help with, whether it be money, knowledge, name recognition or whatever. I see no problem with that.
Not long after King became a known author, his wife Tabitha also published a novel. A really bad one IMO. She has published several over the years.
I didn't care for Sleeping Beauties for several reasons. It IS well written, all his books are. But that don't make it a winner. One thing that bothered me was the entire tone it was given. We see the man mean/dumb or both and woman brave/smart/oppressed shtick all through the medias and here it is in a King book. Yawn.

Does he proofread for his dad? Is that even done anymore? Why didn't the publisher proofread all his previous books?

Huh?

Stephen King fans probably knew Tabitha King was pregnant before she did. We're freaks that way.
Many parents will help their kids with whatever it is they have to help with, whether it be money, knowledge, name recognition or whatever. I see no problem with that.
Not long after King became a known author, his wife Tabitha also published a novel. A really bad one IMO. She has published several over the years.
I didn't care for Sleeping Beauties for several reasons. It IS well written, all his books are. But that don't make it a winner. One thing that bothered me was the entire tone it was given. We see the man mean/dumb or both and woman brave/smart/oppressed shtick all through the medias and here it is in a King book. Yawn.
I'm inclined to agree. It seems that King quit the horror business after he got hit by that van and started boring people with more socially aware stuff.

Another part of the problem is he got sobriety. Horrible to say, but his stories got pretty pedestrian after he quit being fucked up for each tale.
But not every one of them... I adore Bag of Bones...

I switched from King to Koontz many years ago.
I didn't buy any King for quite some time until I bought 11/22/63...which was like the old King I remember... brilliant story, brilliantly told.

Maybe he got better, I don't know.
He is like Aerosmith. Once great, everything they did was good. To shot gunning songs out there hoping one will stick.

King might have lost his writing edge but his movies were pretty good. I liked the original "It" better than the remake and the mini-series Mr. Mercedes was great. He used to do a cameo in all his movies but I didn't spot him in Mr. Mercedes.

Forum List

Back