Stephen Fry has denounced God as “utterly evil, capricious and monstrous”, if he were to exist

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Pressed by Byrne over how he would react if he was locked outside the pearly gates, Fry says: “I would say: ‘bone cancer in children? What’s that about?’

“Because the God who created this universe, if it was created by God, is quite clearly a maniac, utter maniac. Totally selfish. We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him?! What kind of god would do that?”

Stephen Fry calls God an evil capricious monstrous maniac Culture The Guardian

Get on your knees, get off your knees

Catholic basic training instruction...

He was saying,

God moves in mysterious ways,

minus the euphemistic style.
There's nothing euphemistic about the cruelty of the Abrahamic gawd as described in the OT. That gawd was the invention of a really disturbed collection of people.

Why the hell would anyone care what this guy says? Who is he? Never heard of him, nor would I guess you could explain why anything he says should be relevant to anyone but his immediate family and friends, should he have any?

Why the hell would anyone care what this guy says? Who is he? Never heard of him, nor would I guess you could explain why anything he says should be relevant to anyone but his immediate family and friends, should he have any?

He's well known in the UK, a friend of the Royal Family. Appeared in The Hobbit. Recently got married. To a man.

Last edited:
"Stephen Fry has denounced God as “utterly evil, capricious and monstrous”, if he were to exist"

Religion and 'god' are creations of man, as there is no 'god' as perceived by theists; where religion and 'god' reflect the fear, ignorance, and hate common to many men.

he is obviously clueless and has never read the Bible. Most of the answers are in there; and NO God did not give any person cancer.

He didn't say God gave cancer. He's saying God allows it.

He's ampropromorphising God. But then Fry, despite his eloquence and intelligence, is a subjective person.

He attempted suicide sometime last year.

He's well known in the UK, a friend of the Royal Family. Appeared in The Hobbit. Recently got married. To a man.

Those don't seem like compelling credentials regarding being any kind of an expert in theology, just the opposite actually.

Those don't seem like compelling credentials regarding being any kind of an expert in theology, just the opposite actually.

Those are not credentials as far as I'm concerned. Merely background information for those who haven't a clue who he is.

Forum List

Back