Steering Wheel on the Right? No, On the Left! But Why?

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
The development of motoring in the United States contributed most to the unification of driving on the right. Even here, though, cars continued to have their steering wheel on the right for years. In the early 20th century, the steering wheel began to appear increasingly on the left. This was a natural progression: it enables those who are driving on the right to better gauge how to pass an oncoming car safely, and it also makes it easier for passengers to board from the pavement. Over time, all countries in mainland Europe made the decision to drive on the right.
snip
1657197613031.png

There is another story.

Even though the overwhelming majority of the world has chosen to put the steering wheel on the left, it is still a hotly debated issue between the right and left-handers. American cars are among the majority of cars that put their steering wheels on the left side of the car. But why is this something that varies across the world? It seems like it would be easier for companies like Honda or Ford not to make different steering wheel configurations. Alas.

Gear Patrol notes that the history in these instances, like England, in particular, is a bit murkier. GP says that one of the earliest written records about the British driving position dates back to 1753 and pertains to traversing London Bridge. However, some suggest that the left-side road rules might even date back to the Middle Ages.
Even on the other side, right-handedness is the cause of it all. The idea is travelers who carried swords would have them sheathed on the left-hand side of their bodies to draw the blades with their right hands. Walking on the right-hand side of the road would mean those sheathed swords would slap against each other and could potentially cause some obvious problems.
Interestingly, by the time the colonies that would eventually become the United States were being settled by Europeans, the pre-Americans had pistols making the sword calculus less important giving way to the proper driving position we would one day come to adopt. As is the explanation for so many other things here, American cars have their steering wheels on the left because of guns and horses.

The development of motoring in the United States contributed most to the unification of driving on the right. Even here, though, cars continued to have their steering wheel on the right for years. In the early 20th century, the steering wheel began to appear increasingly on the left. This was a natural progression: it enables those who are driving on the right to better gauge how to pass an oncoming car safely, and it also makes it easier for passengers to board from the pavement. Over time, all countries in mainland Europe made the decision to drive on the right.
snip
View attachment 667297

There is another story.
You've always had your steering wheel on the wrong side sweetie

My husband accelerates using his right foot and brakes with his left

He claims it’s because he learned to drive using a stick

Yet ANOTHER reason why I don’t drive with him anymore

LOL....I had a old 4X4 Postal Jeep back in the day with the steering wheel on the left. It was based off the CJ-5.

Sort of like this one:

stock_4x4_rare_28908724.jpg

Back then you could buy the old 2WD AM General Postal Jeeps for a song.

LOL....I had a old 4X4 Postal Jeep back in the day with the steering wheel on the left. It was based off the CJ-5.

Sort of like this one:

stock_4x4_rare_28908724.jpg

Back then you could buy the old 2WD AM General Postal Jeeps for a song.
My DIL drives a Jeep

Even though the overwhelming majority of the world has chosen to put the steering wheel on the left, it is still a hotly debated issue between the right and left-handers. American cars are among the majority of cars that put their steering wheels on the left side of the car. But why is this something that varies across the world? It seems like it would be easier for companies like Honda or Ford not to make different steering wheel configurations. Alas.

Gear Patrol notes that the history in these instances, like England, in particular, is a bit murkier. GP says that one of the earliest written records about the British driving position dates back to 1753 and pertains to traversing London Bridge. However, some suggest that the left-side road rules might even date back to the Middle Ages.
Even on the other side, right-handedness is the cause of it all. The idea is travelers who carried swords would have them sheathed on the left-hand side of their bodies to draw the blades with their right hands. Walking on the right-hand side of the road would mean those sheathed swords would slap against each other and could potentially cause some obvious problems.
Interestingly, by the time the colonies that would eventually become the United States were being settled by Europeans, the pre-Americans had pistols making the sword calculus less important giving way to the proper driving position we would one day come to adopt. As is the explanation for so many other things here, American cars have their steering wheels on the left because of guns and horses.

Move to a country that has the steering wheel on the right. Problem solved.

snip
View attachment 667297

There is another story.
The other story is I think you like to take The Dirty Road no matter what side you are on

My DIL drives a Jeep
I've owned 12 Jeeps of varying flavors over the years. From MBs to a CJ-8.

My last one was a CJ-5 that once belonged to the NPS....They ordered them with fiberglass tubs and full metal tops. It still had the NPS markings on it.

I got it from a guy who worked up on the Skyline Drive who bought it at auction.

Weird thing -- it was a shock to be the passenger on the left side of the car when I visited in England, but my mind juxtaposed a picture of sitting in the right-hand seat. I really have no memory of the brain-fuck of being on the wrong side of the car.

One of the advantages of having the steering wheel on the left is operating the gear shift on a standard transmission. It allows you to shift with your right hand.

snip
View attachment 667297

There is another story.
You can try to deflect all you want by starting other unrelated threads, but Biden still sucks poo.

Just say'in.

New Topics

Forum List

Back