States Rush To Debate New Vaccine Laws As Measles Outbreak Spreads

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

It's a touchy subject because it involves Government dictating what many consider a parenting decision.

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles? -- I found one report that says roughly 3% of vaccinated people who come in contact with measles will develop symptoms. USA Today reported the health officials in CA believe that number to be 18% -- seems kind of high.

Several state legislatures are debating vaccine-related measures as dozens of people have fallen ill from a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland in December and spread beyond the theme park. Here is a look at some of the legislation around the country:

CALIFORNIA

Three California lawmakers, all Democrats, introduced legislation this week that would require parents to vaccinate their children before they enter school unless the child cannot be immunized because of a medical condition.

Parents would no longer be able to cite personal beliefs or religious reasons to send unvaccinated children to private and public schools. Mississippi and West Virginia are the only other states with such strict vaccine rules, although the California bill's lead author said he would consider including a religious exemption.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, California is among 20 states that allow for personal belief exemptions and 48 that allow for religious exemptions.

I think public schools can require vaccinations and if there's an outbreak, there should be an investigation to find out which parent lied and they should be prosecuted.

We need to ask why it was eradicated in 2000 and is coming back.
Some Parents have been choosing to not get some vaccinations for 20 years yet we have a new outbreak.

It's a touchy subject because it involves Government dictating what many consider a parenting decision.

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles? -- I found one report that says roughly 3% of vaccinated people who come in contact with measles will develop symptoms. USA Today reported the health officials in CA believe that number to be 18% -- seems kind of high.

Several state legislatures are debating vaccine-related measures as dozens of people have fallen ill from a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland in December and spread beyond the theme park. Here is a look at some of the legislation around the country:

CALIFORNIA

Three California lawmakers, all Democrats, introduced legislation this week that would require parents to vaccinate their children before they enter school unless the child cannot be immunized because of a medical condition.

Parents would no longer be able to cite personal beliefs or religious reasons to send unvaccinated children to private and public schools. Mississippi and West Virginia are the only other states with such strict vaccine rules, although the California bill's lead author said he would consider including a religious exemption.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, California is among 20 states that allow for personal belief exemptions and 48 that allow for religious exemptions.

I think public schools can require vaccinations and if there's an outbreak, there should be an investigation to find out which parent lied and they should be prosecuted.

Am I confused or are people who WERE vaccinated at a child catching measles?

I believe that some people who get the vaccine never develop immunity.
And that when people do develop immunity, it eventually "wears off".
I haven't heard any info about the people who are involved in this outbreak.

We need to ask why it was eradicated in 2000 and is coming back.
Some Parents have been choosing to not get some vaccinations for 20 years yet we have a new outbreak.
it hasnet been eradicated like they claim....every year since 2000 there have been cases reported....the outbreaks in 2008,11,13 and 14 were bigger than this one....the one last year had 644 cases from 27 States........
Measles Cases and Outbreaks CDC

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

You do know that measles is a survivable childhood disease, right? You do know that the mortality rate of measles is very, very low.....right?

CALIFORNIA

The vaccine is not 100% effective. More like 99% or so.
I don't know that immunity after two inoculations actually wears off. That's news to me, but maybe so.

It's a little strange. Babies aren't typically inoculated until one year. This is because the mother's antibodies are in the baby's body. An inoculation before the antibodies leave the baby will actually cause the baby to have no protection. THIS is why universal inoculations are a must, unless the person has some medical reason they can't take the shot. We'll never have 100% of the population "immune." But, the more mothers who don't get inoculated, the more babies aren't protected. And you don't want a child <12 mos getting this.

And what's happened is the idiots who don't get the shot are essentially sucking tit off those who do. If the vast maj weren't inoculated, these responsible mofos would be getting sick by the truck load.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

You do know that measles is a survivable childhood disease, right? You do know that the mortality rate of measles is very, very low.....right?

• Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
  • In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour.
  • Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide.
  • In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.
  • During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.

WHO Measles

CALIFORNIA

The vaccine is not 100% effective. More like 99% or so.
I don't know that immunity after two inoculations actually wears off. That's news to me, but maybe so.

It's a little strange. Babies aren't typically inoculated until one year. This is because the mother's antibodies are in the baby's body. An inoculation before the antibodies leave the baby will actually cause the baby to have no protection. THIS is why universal inoculations are a must, unless the person has some medical reason they can't take the shot. We'll never have 100% of the population "immune." But, the more mothers who don't get inoculated, the more babies aren't protected. And you don't want a child <12 mos getting this.

And what's happened is the idiots who don't get the shot are essentially sucking tit off those who do. If the vast maj weren't inoculated, these responsible mofos would be getting sick by the truck load.

Yeah, we have to eliminate the phony "religious objections".
Get your kids immunized, idiots!

Is this another liberal hysteria story? Is this another case where liberals put all their faith in what they thing science is telling them?

When i was young almost everyone I knew had the measles at one time or the other, none died.

We had our kids vaccinated quite frankly because the doctors told us we should. But I can understand why some, who object to having foreign substances injected into their children, would protest.

Is this another liberal hysteria story? Is this another case where liberals put all their faith in what they thing science is telling them?

When i was young almost everyone I knew had the measles at one time or the other, none died.

We had our kids vaccinated quite frankly because the doctors told us we should. But I can understand why some, who object to having foreign substances injected into their children, would protest.
JFC

WHO Measles

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

• Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
  • In 2013, there were 145 700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour.
  • Measles vaccination resulted in a 75% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2013 worldwide.
  • In 2013, about 84% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 73% in 2000.
  • During 2000-2013, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 15.6 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.
WHO Measles

US and CDC. Show me where it is even on the top ten list yet alone a leading cause.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_death_by_age_group_2012-a.pdf

If you want to throw the US in with other countries that have universal healthcare and their people are dying at a rate not seen in the US that is your business.

BTW the black plague ended without vaccination.

Seems the more we inoculate and kill off germs (trying to make everything bacteria free) the stronger the diseases and germs are becoming and are mutating into diseases that are becoming resistant.
Our immune systems are becoming weaker.
Before we had all of these childhood diseases vaccines, baby boomers got it all.
Measles, chicken pox, mumps we all got thru them, very few died because of Americas excellent health care system and our immune systems continued to become stronger.
Now even flu can kill, because it has mutated.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles

US and CDC. Show me where it is even on the top ten list yet alone a leading cause.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_death_by_age_group_2012-a.pdf

If you want to throw the US in with other countries that have universal healthcare and their people are dying at a rate not seen in the US that is your business.

Show me where it is even on the top ten list yet alone a leading cause.

145 thousand is too many, even if it isn't a leading cause.

Yeah, if enough people die, eventually the plague ends.
BTW, that is one of the dumbest anti-vax arguments ever.

Seems the more we inoculate and kill off germs (trying to make everything bacteria free) the stronger the diseases and germs are becoming and are mutating into diseases that are becoming resistant.
Before we had all of these childhood diseases vaccines, baby boomers got it all.
Measles, chicken pox, mumps we all got thru them, very few died because of Americas excellent health care system and our immune systems continued to become stronger.

The flu has always killed lots of people. Americans too.

CALIFORNIA

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/child/injury/world_report/final_data_3.pdf?ua=1

Under age 1, #10 cause.
Age 1-4, #3 cause.
Age 5-9, #8 cause.
Under age 20, #5 cause.

CALIFORNIA

you're the genius suggesting we don't inoculate and posting "nobody died of the measles before we had the vaccine." You don't like numbers from unvaccinated populations.... try vaccines.

Again, JFC
Before the age of vaccination

Prosecuted for what?

WHO Measles

Thanks for the CDC link.
It's amazing what a good vaccine program can do.
If you can minimize the anti-vaxer idiots.

Wrong.

Modern treatment methods include insecticides, the use of antibiotics, and a plague vaccine. The plague bacterium could develop drug-resistance and again become a major health threat. One case of a drug-resistant form of the bacterium was found in Madagascar in 1995.[99]A further outbreak in Madagascar was reported in November 2014.[100]

Measles’ lethality had dropped by the 1960s, thanks to improved treatment and nutrition, with less than one death reported for every 1,000 cases. But before the vaccines, millions of American children were infected every year, and many developed serious side effects: An annual average of 48,000 measles patients required hospitalization, with 400 to 500 deaths per year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The most serious side effects included pneumonia and encephalitis – swelling of the brain. Hearing loss from measles-related ear infections was also common.

Measles vaccines slashed those infection rates. Over several decades, the vaccines were were bundled with vaccines for mumps and rubella into a booster shot parents now know as the MMR. State legislatures began mandating vaccination for school students in the 1960s and 1970s, and eventually every state and the District of Columbia adopted such laws, with some exemptions for medical, philosophical or religious reasons

The history of measles A scourge for centuries - LA Times

And the flu has always killed.

Forum List

Back