Startlingly relevant (to our time) quotations from 1922

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
From the book Eugenics and other Evils by G.K. Chesterton, published 1922:

"People talk about the impatience of the populace; but sound historians know that most tyrannies have been possible because men moved too late. It is often essential to resist a tyranny before it exists. It is no answer to say, with a distant optimism, that the scheme is only in the air."

"I know that it means very different things to different people; but that is only because evil always takes advantage of ambiguity."

"…know that it numbers many disciples whose intentions are entirely innocent and humane; and who would be sincerely astonished at my describing it as I do. But that is only because evil always wins through the strength of its splendid dupes; and there has in all ages been a disastrous alliance between abnormal innocence and abnormal sin."

"The thing that really is trying to tyrannise through government is Science. The thing that really does use the secular arm is Science. And the creed that really is levying tithes and capturing schools, the creed that really is enforced by fine and imprisonment, the creed that really is proclaimed not in sermons but in statutes, and spread not by pilgrims but by policemen—that creed is the great but disputed system of thought which began with Evolution and has ended in Eugenics. Materialism is really our established Church; for the Government will really help it to persecute its heretics. Vaccination, in its hundred years of experiment, has been disputed almost as much as baptism in its approximate two thousand. But it seems quite natural to our politicians to enforce vaccination; and it would seem to them madness to enforce baptism."

End Quotes

A final relevant to our times historical quote. This one comes to us from Wendell Homes Jr. a former and thankfully long dead Supreme Court justice. Click on the picture below.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
From the book Eugenics and other Evils by G.K. Chesterton, published 1922:

"People talk about the impatience of the populace; but sound historians know that most tyrannies have been possible because men moved too late. It is often essential to resist a tyranny before it exists. It is no answer to say, with a distant optimism, that the scheme is only in the air."

"I know that it means very different things to different people; but that is only because evil always takes advantage of ambiguity."

"…know that it numbers many disciples whose intentions are entirely innocent and humane; and who would be sincerely astonished at my describing it as I do. But that is only because evil always wins through the strength of its splendid dupes; and there has in all ages been a disastrous alliance between abnormal innocence and abnormal sin."

"The thing that really is trying to tyrannise through government is Science. The thing that really does use the secular arm is Science. And the creed that really is levying tithes and capturing schools, the creed that really is enforced by fine and imprisonment, the creed that really is proclaimed not in sermons but in statutes, and spread not by pilgrims but by policemen—that creed is the great but disputed system of thought which began with Evolution and has ended in Eugenics. Materialism is really our established Church; for the Government will really help it to persecute its heretics. Vaccination, in its hundred years of experiment, has been disputed almost as much as baptism in its approximate two thousand. But it seems quite natural to our politicians to enforce vaccination; and it would seem to them madness to enforce baptism."

End Quotes

A final relevant to our times historical quote. This one comes to us from Wendell Homes Jr. a former and thankfully long dead Supreme Court justice. Click on the picture below.
Well...Chesterton, eh? One of my favorites..and yeah, always relevant. The rub, of course, is just what side you choose to ascribe to the attribute and failings C.K. is describing?
One must always take people in their context...the era Chesterton lived in was an evil one, by our standards..and maybe..by any standards. Eugenics culminated in Hitler...the British was at its rancid flowering 1900-1936, laissez-faire capitalism ruled and the working man was fucked--so his musings on evil..and the rise of evil men..was first hand. He was an extremely ethical and moral man..who slowly began to think that orthodox Catholicism was the purest ethical/moral primer--so he converted from High Anglican church..I imagine it was not a huge stretch...LOL!

My answer to his last line is simple..a baptism is based on faith in something that cannot be proved--while a vaccination is based upon knowledge..a factual narrative that is added to constantly--we know they work.

Holmes...great jurist..less than stellar human being~

Forum List

Back