Startent in on the guitar again.

Dick Foster

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2018
The People's Republic of the Californicated
With nothing else to do, I dragged my guitar out of the man cave and started in on it again. I know it won't amount to anything because I'm devoid of musical talent and really and truly do suck at it but it's fun anyway and provides a distraction.
Now as long as I can avoid a serious case of gearitus it should be fun. However a looper like a Boss RC300 and a good guitar synth like a Roland GR55 would sure be fun to piddle around with.

Being able to play is a great thing. There is so much out there now in terms of video instruction just stick with it. I've played piano all my life I couldn't imagine not playing. My mother rest her soul was still playing an hour a day at age 92.

Being able to play is a great thing. There is so much out there now in terms of video instruction just stick with it. I've played piano all my life I couldn't imagine not playing. My mother rest her soul was still playing an hour a day at age 92.

Well this time, the third attempt for me, I'm using it for therapy. I had a series of small strokes last year that affected my coordination a bit mostly for my right hand. I've been a little clumsy since so I'm thinking it may help as a form of physical therapy. If nothing else, I can at least use that as an excuse for being such a no talent hack. LOL

Well at my age those things are to be expected so no biggie. It's either this or the other side of a hole in the ground so I'll take this such as it is. I've decided to do the kinda thing I'm good at and set this thing up good and proper for decent action, playability and proper intonation. Most guitars including this one and even expensive ones play like shit because they have crappy or no setup work done on them. I stumbled on to a guy on YouTube that makes a lot of sense (few clothiers do) and teaches how to do it with simple inexpensive tools. So I bought his ebook today and will dig in soon. Probably half the reason I suck at playing so bad is because I'm fighting the guitar because of its crappy action and shitty setup.

Well at my age those things are to be expected so no biggie. It's either this or the other side of a hole in the ground so I'll take this such as it is. I've decided to do the kinda thing I'm good at and set this thing up good and proper for decent action, playability and proper intonation. Most guitars including this one and even expensive ones play like shit because they have crappy or no setup work done on them. I stumbled on to a guy on YouTube that makes a lot of sense (few clothiers do) and teaches how to do it with simple inexpensive tools. So I bought his ebook today and will dig in soon. Probably half the reason I suck at playing so bad is because I'm fighting the guitar because of its crappy action and shitty setup.
I think that's true because my oldest son is quite good at guitar and he has mentioned similar issues that you are talking about. I have no clue about guitar, I always found the hand and wrist positioning awkward. Piano always seemed more natural to me, but different strokes.

Follow up. I dug in and got the action way down to make it much more comfortable to play and to eliminate all the notes going sharp when fretting open cords up by the nut. I got really lucky and didn't have to level the frets as is the usual case 99% of the time. Oddly enough this is an inexpensive made in China Ibanez guitar. However Ibanez is known for making good quality stuff. While I was messin with it I swapped the tuning machines for self locking ratiometric types. I've already swapped out the cheap nosey buzzed like a bee bridge and went to work improving the Bigsby type tremelo. I've got some nicer pickups and a Tusq nut for it too. I'll wire the new pickups six ways from Sunday with push pull pot switches for pickup splitting and phase reversal. Before I'm done with it, this will be a really nice guitar.
Now if I could only figure out a way to make play itself, I might actually get somewhere with it.

Forum List

Back