Star Trek is the worst.

The problem was ... they totally did interfere with primitive cultures ... in nearly every episode. The "Prime Directive" was broken so many time I lost count.

View attachment 545040
Ah, Yes The Prime Directive: "Thou Shalt Not F#ck With The Less Advanced Because You Might F#ck Them Up As Bad As Humans"

I never really liked the show, although I LOOOVE scifi. I was more drawn to the character Spock. I LOVED Spock, still do.

I also like Star Trek because I prefer more "techy" scifi, as opposed to weird creatures and constant fight scenes (Star Wars). Mankind faring the universe in order to find the age old question of "why are we", is just mesmerizing to me.

I prefer "eye in the sky" scifi to "boots on the ground". Although the original 3 Star Wars from the 70's are fabulous, I still prefer Star Trek.

582669462star-trek-animated-gif-15.gif

"Star Trek", the original series, was ... but the standards of the day ... cutting edge television.

It was innovative, controversial, and provocative.

Yes, it was over dramatized (we're looking at you, Shatner). Many of the scripts were simplistic and overly preachy. Yes, the fight choreography was hilarious and, yes, even the music was terrible.

Only about 1/3 of the original series episodes can we watched today without being considered satire.

But ... viewed against everything else on TV in 1966 ... it was a phenomenon and REALLY GOOD TV.

However, what is most important about "Star Trek" wasn't the dated episodes, but the inspiration it brought to millions of fans that, just perhaps, the future could be a little better, a little more civilized, and a little more exciting than it is today.

It was the last Science Fiction franchise with a vision of an optimistic future, before we decided that all science fiction had to be dystopic.
Viewed in the context of how successful Star Trek has been, the notion that TOS was laughable is, itself, laughable.

The people today who idolize TOS are some of the most sophisticated lovers of SyFy today.

Captain Kirk always won in the last 5 minutes
Captain Pike was the original captain. Jeffery Hunter

bidensicksobhgdffgdgfd.jpg

The problem with Star Trek is that the script is written by stupid people who know nothing about science, and don't bother to show respect towards science.

Also, the characters are stiff and boring, except in the original show.
It's entertainment. Has nothing to do with science or anything else except to entertain. And it did. The newest ones? I don't bother to watch. Dorky. The knockoffs, also dorky. As a kid..loved it even with Shatner who was and is a piss poor actor but i didn't care about that. I just wanted to go where no man (or woman) has ever gone before...via my tv set.

When I was a kid I liked Star Trek. But really, when you think about it, Star Trek is one of the worst television shows in history. The reason it survives is because it's science fiction, and the standards for science fiction is very low.
..it was well done....a lot of great themes ..better than the very DUMBASS reality shows like the Kardashians/etc

In fact, the premise of a "space western" is precisely how Roddenberry sold the show to Desilu Productions. He pitched it as "Wagon Train to The Stars".

And yes, the "good guys" almost always won in the end. It wouldn't make much sense to have an episodic TV series where they didn't win.

However, one of the best episodes of the series, and most enduring, "City on the Edge of Tomorrow", written by the incomparable scifi writer Harlan Ellison, ended with Kirk saving the crew but losing someone very special to him. Very unusual for sixties TV ... when the most popular shows on TV were "Batman" and reruns of "I Love Lucy".
Actually, "The City on the Edge of Forever", and the script that aired was Roddenberry's softening rewrite of Ellison. Ellison's original script can be had in book form, and while the basic familiar plot points are there, it's much more an ass-kicker than Roddenberry's.

Star Trek was one of the first programs on TV with an openly LGBTQ character, Mr. Sulu. Although Lost in Space did have Dr. Smith who the robot was constantly advising the young boy on the program to be wary of.

Smith was definitely not normative.

1632919466259.png

Exactly.It was also realistic in ways like one episode dealt in time travel and they spoke about how a lady had to die Taos she did before or history would be altered in a really horrible way fir the worst.thst actually would occur if you could go back and time and you tried to change an event,everything would totally be changed dramatically like we can’t even imagine.

Edward Lorenz's "Butterfly Effect."

Star Trek was the first show I saw where they grasped that space is a vacuum and a craft will continue to move infinitely if no contra-force is applied.

What I find really fascinating is how much of the 1963 series has come to pass. The tablets everyone carried, communicators (cell phones) flat displays, etc.

Warp is a real theory for traveling faster than light. Will it work? Probably not.

Matter transfer is well under way and will be in use for moving goods within 20 years. Probably be a long time after that until we start beaming people around.

Had you just said thst last sentence then this would be an excellent post because the original series indeed had exciting characters,the spin-offs all sucked indeed with boring characters.the first paragraph is just plain idiotic though.

Bite your tongue.

Sisco was the most interesting of all characters in the Star Trek Universe.

1632920952821.png

Star Trek was one of the first programs on TV with an openly LGBTQ character, Mr. Sulu. Although Lost in Space did have Dr. Smith who the robot was constantly advising the young boy on the program to be wary of.

Smith was definitely not normative.

View attachment 545139

The actor might be gay, but nothing in the show EVER suggested Sulu was gay.

The Mark of Gideon​

An interesting episode.
The planet Gideon has an overpopulation problem, so they capture Captain Kick so that hey can give their population Kirk's deadly vegan choriomeningitis virus and cause a pandemic to depopulate their planet.
Star Trek had some wild writers.

The actor might be gay, but nothing in the show EVER suggested Sulu was gay.
Exactly,major differerence in sulu and dr smith,no comparison.watching sulu now knowing the actor was gay all these years later you watch how he acts in that show and there is nothing about him that would make you think for a second that he was gay in real life.He seemed as straight as much as all the other male actors on the show.he was the same as it was with rock Hudson,you would never dream it was possible for rock Hudson to be gay,he was so suave as a ladies man.same with the actor that played sulu,you would never have guessed by how he acted on the show thst he was gay in real life.

Much differerent story for Jonathan Harris who played dr smith,you watch him perform on Lost in space and he is transparent as hell thst he was gay.matter of fact I don’t think any of the actors of Star Trek at the time when the show was being filmed had any clue sulu was gay where that was not the case with dr smith,pretty much all the adult actors on the show figured that out about him.I remember the actress that portrayed mrs Robinson was interviewed one time and was asked about it and she said they all knew he was gay he was so transparent.

Exactly,major differerence in sulu and dr smith,no comparison.watching sulu now knowing the actor was gay all these years later you watch how he acts in that show and there is nothing about him that would make you think for a second that he was gay in real life.He seemed as straight as much as all the other male actors on the show.he was the same as it was with rock Hudson,you would never dream it was possible for rock Hudson to be gay,he was so suave as a ladies man.same with the actor that played sulu,you would never have guessed by how he acted on the show thst he was gay in real life.

Much differerent story for Jonathan Harris who played dr smith,you watch him perform on Lost in space and he is transparent as hell thst he was gay.matter of fact I don’t think any of the actors of Star Trek at the time when the show was being filmed had any clue sulu was gay where that was not the case with dr smith,pretty much all the adult actors on the show figured that out about him.I remember the actress that portrayed mrs Robinson was interviewed one time and was asked about it and she said they all knew he was gay he was so transparent.
Harris wasn't gay. He was married to his childhood sweetheart, Gertrude Bregman, from 1938 until his death in 2002.

In the beginning, Smith was a typically villainous character as the character was expected to be killed off in the first season. He adopted the useless, effeminate fop characterization (and faggy voice) to stand out against the standard happy-go-lucky optimism of the Robinsons. It worked, and he kept his job through the run of the series.

Dig around for his radio interviews. I recall him on the Don & Mike Show in the late 90s, funny as hell and blue as all get out. He even called June Lockhart a c***. :auiqs.jpg:

The Mark of Gideon​

An interesting episode.
The planet Gideon has an overpopulation problem, so they capture Captain Kick so that hey can give their population Kirk's deadly vegan choriomeningitis virus and cause a pandemic to depopulate their planet.
Star Trek had some wild writers.

Using Kirk to DE-populate your planet is one of the dumbest ideas of all time.

There wasn't an alien women he wouldn't beam.

ladies-of-kirk-splash.jpg

Apparently, #metoo isn't a 23rd Century idea.

New Topics

Forum List

Back