Stand and be counted or sit down and shut up: Reflections on Colin as a patriot

Oh so you really don't believe in free speech? I see thanks for proving your more of a nazi, than an American. See I know the players have the right to kneel. You and Hitler would've gotten along well.
It's a football thing. Tebow's praying on the football field when he should be concentrating on the game. Kapernick is taking a knee before the game begins to protest racial inequality.

Tebow tried that bullshit in one of his first team meetings when he came to Denver. At the start of the meeting, Tebow asked if everyone could have a silent moment of prayer. One of his teammates shouted out, "Shut the fuck up! This ain't no bible study!"
So, no freedom of religion? I don't get people like you, your scared of something you claim doesn't exist. The craziest thing, lol. I say a prayer before every meal, silently even when I'm out eating. Would that offend you?

Still don't want separation of church and state in your football? Also, more whites are killed than blacks by cops. But more whites are killed by blacks, than blacks killed by whites. Also more blacks kill each other than any other race, especially by abortion. Lol, I say to blacks, your welcome you live in the best country. If you don't like it, go back to Africa. If your lucky, your ancestors won't sell you back to slavery.
More whites are killed by cops because there is 160 million more whites in this country than there are blacks. The reality is, blacks are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by cops than whites are.

70% of the abortions in this country occur in the bible belt and they're being done by so-called Christian-Evangelicals.
In new York a few years ago, more black babies were aborted, than born. I think that's being a racist if not questioned why. Also there are a lot of minorities in the South. I guess that explains it. Also, before you call me a racist. I'm against abortion.

So, no freedom of religion? I don't get people like you, your scared of something you claim doesn't exist. The craziest thing, lol. I say a prayer before every meal, silently even when I'm out eating. Would that offend you?
No I would not. You're free to worship anyway you want. Just don't force others to worship with you, like Tebow tried to do.

So, if you are adamant about freedom of religion, what is your opinion of the mosque at ground zero? Okay to build it? Or not okay to build it? Freedom of religion is for all religions. Just like racial equality.

In new York a few years ago, more black babies were aborted, than born. I think that's being a racist if not questioned why. Also there are a lot of minorities in the South. I guess that explains it. Also, before you call me a racist. I'm against abortion.
Just for the record, I have no opinion on abortion. I'm not for it, nor am I against it. The issue doesn't exist in my world. It's a non-issue for me. Just like the immigration issue. I could care less about the subject.

No I would not. You're free to worship anyway you want. Just don't force others to worship with you, like Tebow tried to do.

So, if you are adamant about freedom of religion, what is your opinion of the mosque at ground zero? Okay to build it? Or not okay to build it? Freedom of religion is for all religions. Just like racial equality.

Just don't force others to worship with you, like Tebow tried to do.

Tebow used force? That's awful.

OT:
Just don't force others to worship with you, like Tebow tried to do.
For middle and high school, I went to a "St. Grottlesex" school. The one I attended required everyone to attend chapel, and the only worship option was Episcopalian. These days, everyone is still required to participate in some sort worship services be they Episcopal, Jewish, Roman Catholic, Buddhist, Muslim, and several others.

Back in my day, attending chapel was mostly catechismal and dogmatic. These days, doing so is as much about theism as it is about reinforcing the school's human development and pedagogical approach and objectives. Spirituality of some sort is (1) deemed essential to one's development into a mature and stable adult, and (2) insofar as notions pertaining to theistic beliefs and belief systems make excellent foils for rigorous abstract thought, participating in worship services contributes to a student's intellectual development by providing them with foundational and contextual "ammunition" useful for considering myriad subjects they'll study and discuss -- ethics, history, politics, normative economics, biology, etc. -- in and out of class and well after they graduate.

In short, the school doesn't stipulate what one believes, or even that one believe; however, the school does mandate what one must do. What one must do is attend some sort of worship service. Whether s/he "buys into" what's said there is up to the student; the school doesn't care whether one is a true believer. The school is not about inculcation; it's about education, and spirituality and giving students a strong understanding of what that is and how it works is just another thing to teach and one must participate in it somehow to understand it.

Two of my sons were Episcopal enough (indifferent enough?) that attending Episcopal services didn't overtax their sensibilities, and from time to time, they'd attend a different belief system's services. My other son and daughter at an early age didn't "buy into" religion, so we sent them to non-denominational schools.

I suppose some parents may know their kids are atheist/agnostic and send them to "St Grottlesex." If they do, I don't know how those kids there these days handle the worship requirement. I presume they just pick a worship service and attend it because attending no service is, AFAIK, simply not an option. At least it wasn't when my sons were there.

Regardless of how agnostic/atheist kids reconcile the worship requirement, attending services surely does them good. How so? Well, as I said, the school is about educating kids. One aspect of that education is teaching them not how to rail against and fight "the system," "the game," but rather how to be excellent "players of the game," how to make the most of what "the system" offers. Being able to "relate to" and understand theists and how they implement their theism is part of that (It's not the "biggest" part, but it is part.), and learning those lessons firsthand, which frankly isn't a textbook or classroom learning thing, is, IMO and the school's, better commenced and mastered as a minor than is starting that process as an adult.

Does the "St. Grottlesex" approach constitute forcing religion on someone? Probably, though I think its a different modality of forcing it. Indeed, I'm not convinced one could call it forcing religion as much as it's forcing spirituality. All the same, no, I didn't force two of my kids to attend "St. Grottlesex." They were pretty clear about their religious views and I just thought there wasn't much point to pushing it on them. Though I agree with the pedagogical approach at "St. Grottlesex," I realize it's not at all the only one that produces very well developed and well prepared high school graduates.

For middle and high school, I went to a "St. Grottlesex" school. The one I attended required everyone to attend chapel, and the only worship option was Episcopalian. These days, everyone is still required to participate in some sort worship services be they Episcopal, Jewish, Roman Catholic, Buddhist, Muslim, and several others.

Back in my day, attending chapel was mostly catechismal and dogmatic. These days, doing so is as much about theism as it is about reinforcing the school's human development and pedagogical approach and objectives. Spirituality of some sort is (1) deemed essential to one's development into a mature and stable adult, and (2) insofar as notions pertaining to theistic beliefs and belief systems make excellent foils for rigorous abstract thought, participating in worship services contributes to a student's intellectual development by providing them with foundational and contextual "ammunition" useful for considering myriad subjects they'll study and discuss -- ethics, history, politics, normative economics, biology, etc. -- in and out of class and well after they graduate.

In short, the school doesn't stipulate what one believes, or even that one believe; however, the school does mandate what one must do. What one must do is attend some sort of worship service. Whether s/he "buys into" what's said there is up to the student; the school doesn't care whether one is a true believer. The school is not about inculcation; it's about education, and spirituality and giving students a strong understanding of what that is and how it works is just another thing to teach and one must participate in it somehow to understand it.

Two of my sons were Episcopal enough (indifferent enough?) that attending Episcopal services didn't overtax their sensibilities, and from time to time, they'd attend a different belief system's services. My other son and daughter at an early age didn't "buy into" religion, so we sent them to non-denominational schools.

I suppose some parents may know their kids are atheist/agnostic and send them to "St Grottlesex." If they do, I don't know how those kids there these days handle the worship requirement. I presume they just pick a worship service and attend it because attending no service is, AFAIK, simply not an option. At least it wasn't when my sons were there.

Regardless of how agnostic/atheist kids reconcile the worship requirement, attending services surely does them good. How so? Well, as I said, the school is about educating kids. One aspect of that education is teaching them not how to rail against and fight "the system," "the game," but rather how to be excellent "players of the game," how to make the most of what "the system" offers. Being able to "relate to" and understand theists and how they implement their theism is part of that (It's not the "biggest" part, but it is part.), and learning those lessons firsthand, which frankly isn't a textbook or classroom learning thing, is, IMO and the school's, better commenced and mastered as a minor than is starting that process as an adult.

Does the "St. Grottlesex" approach constitute forcing religion on someone? Probably, though I think its a different modality of forcing it. Indeed, I'm not convinced one could call it forcing religion as much as it's forcing spirituality. All the same, no, I didn't force two of my kids to attend "St. Grottlesex." They were pretty clear about their religious views and I just thought there wasn't much point to pushing it on them. Though I agree with the pedagogical approach at "St. Grottlesex," I realize it's not at all the only one that produces very well developed and well prepared high school graduates.
I'm a white, Irish Catholic and spent grades 1-8 in parochial school. I was born into a Catholic family. Baptized a Catholic. Confirmed as a Catholic. Was an alter boy. Have been to over 1000 masses in my life. So I know all about "Big Religion" and had it shoved down my throat until I was almost 18.

Although I'm not into the dogma, I still go to mass once and a while. I just like hearing the stories.

I'm a white, Irish Catholic and spent grades 1-8 in parochial school. I was born into a Catholic family. Baptized a Catholic. Confirmed as a Catholic. Was an alter boy. Have been to over 1000 masses in my life. So I know all about "Big Religion" and had it shoved down my throat until I was almost 18.

Although I'm not into the dogma, I still go to mass once and a while. I just like hearing the stories.

One really doesn't need to go to mass for that.

I'm a white, Irish Catholic and spent grades 1-8 in parochial school.

I have a reasonable degree of familiarity with Jesuit secondary schools and colleges and universities, but I don't know whether the Jesuits have primary schools. The Jesuit high schools with which I'm familiar require theology instruction, but there, as at my alma mater, it's mostly not indoctrinal. At those two schools, ninth grade theology and senior theodicy come closest to that, but even there they teach the classes academically rather than catechismally.

The president of one of those schools once remarked that if a boy hasn't by the time he commences the ninth grade accepted Catholicism or theism, he's unlikely, absent exceptional circumstances, to do so no matter how or what they teach in theology classes. Consequently, he explained, there's little point to defining dogmatic acceptance as among the goals of those classes. Pedagogically, that's quite similar to philosophical tack used at "St. Grottlesex."

Oh so now all cops are racist. You really are a dumb fuck. Why don't you worry about black on black killings? The real problem? Liberals want to keep blacks uneducated and on welfare. So you get their vote. The Democrat party, the real racist party.
Why don't you comment on the problem, instead of trying to hijack and derail the conversation on to another subject?
The problem is disrespectful assholes like Kaepernick and those who believe the Constitution protects what he's doing.

The NFL protects what he's doing. Your point is pointless.

Oh so now all cops are racist. You really are a dumb fuck. Why don't you worry about black on black killings? The real problem? Liberals want to keep blacks uneducated and on welfare. So you get their vote. The Democrat party, the real racist party.
Why don't you comment on the problem, instead of trying to hijack and derail the conversation on to another subject?
The problem is disrespectful assholes like Kaepernick and those who believe the Constitution protects what he's doing.

The NFL protects what he's doing. Your point is pointless.
The NFL is going to pay dearly for that, moron. That's what you don't get.

You don't make money by insulting your fans.

I wonder how long it will take for Trumpdrones to figure out Kapernick and NFL players arent protesting patriotism ?

those idiots must never to anyone but Shitforhair.

Forum List

Back