St. Louis teen charged with murder of Lyft driver

Back in the day, New York cabbies, particularly in Manhattan, were persecuted, fined, sued, etc. for not picking up Black people. If not getting paid the fare and getting mugged or worse is dramatically reduced with some common sense, why not? :dunno:

This happened in DC as well. It also extended to pizza delivery. A Dominoe’s franchise was fined by a court because it stopped serving a part of a neighborhood where drivers were always getting robbed. I know a guy who worked for a National home improvement chain. He would get leads and inquires and go onsite and do an estimate for services. If a call /lead came in from a certain zip code, In almost all of the cases, their estimates were too expensive so he would not get paid. On top of that, he had his car vandalized and was threatened a couple of times just for being in the neighborhood. He solved his problem by simply speaking with the customer over the phone in an initial consultation gathering some information and then intentionally give them an estimate that was artificially high so as to disqualify his company so he would not have to travel into the bad neighborhood and risk his life for a most unlikely sale.

I am sure the “racist” buttons are going off . But, this not about race. It is about human behavior and economics . Small business service providers such as Uber, Lyft, pizza delivery, and home improvement contractors have enough economic challenges to worry about. Why should they risk their business and their lives in bad neighborhoods?

I can never forget a story that I read some years back.

Two young men (no need to be specific) called a Chinese restaurant to order food. (This was before delivery apps).

When the deliveryman came, the two young men killed him, and then they sat down to enjoy delicious Chinese food.
As far back as maybe the late 80's or early 90's pizza chains started red lining some hoods and would not deliver there.

Even before that. Pizzerias couldn't get the drivers to go into ghetto- even the black drivers. Too dangerous.

If the drivers were willing to risk life and limb, the restaurants might have thought different. But even then, that might have opened them up to litigation from the widows of the drivers for sending the men into death traps.

Yes. what gets left out in these redlining stories is that the drivers and delivery persons are mostly non-white or as you said, Black themselves, who are refusing to go into these neighborhoods. The politicians think they are getting something out of it by blaming whites when in fact all that is happening is a community gets further blighted.

Back in the day, New York cabbies, particularly in Manhattan, were persecuted, fined, sued, etc. for not picking up Black people. If not getting paid the fare and getting mugged or worse is dramatically reduced with some common sense, why not? :dunno:

This happened in DC as well. It also extended to pizza delivery. A Dominoe’s franchise was fined by a court because it stopped serving a part of a neighborhood where drivers were always getting robbed. I know a guy who worked for a National home improvement chain. He would get leads and inquires and go onsite and do an estimate for services. If a call /lead came in from a certain zip code, In almost all of the cases, their estimates were too expensive so he would not get paid. On top of that, he had his car vandalized and was threatened a couple of times just for being in the neighborhood. He solved his problem by simply speaking with the customer over the phone in an initial consultation gathering some information and then intentionally give them an estimate that was artificially high so as to disqualify his company so he would not have to travel into the bad neighborhood and risk his life for a most unlikely sale.

I am sure the “racist” buttons are going off . But, this not about race. It is about human behavior and economics . Small business service providers such as Uber, Lyft, pizza delivery, and home improvement contractors have enough economic challenges to worry about. Why should they risk their business and their lives in bad neighborhoods?

Two young men (no need to be specific) called a Chinese restaurant to order food. (This was before delivery apps).

When the deliveryman came, the two young men killed him, and then they sat down to enjoy delicious Chinese food.
As far back as maybe the late 80's or early 90's pizza chains started red lining some hoods and would not deliver there.

Even before that. Pizzerias couldn't get the drivers to go into ghetto- even the black drivers. Too dangerous.

If the drivers were willing to risk life and limb, the restaurants might have thought different. But even then, that might have opened them up to litigation from the widows of the drivers for sending the men into death traps.

Yes. what gets left out in these redlining stories is that the drivers and delivery persons are mostly non-white or as you said, Black themselves, who are refusing to go into these neighborhoods. The politicians think they are getting something out of it by blaming whites when in fact all that is happening is a community gets further blighted.

What does this murder have to do with the "left". Do you know the 17 year old killer's politics?

What does this murder have to do with the "left". Do you know the 17 year old killer's politics?

It doesn’t. However, I question why politicians and courts are so quick to punish the business for trying to be safe when the statistics are staring them in the face. It is at the political and judicial level where this becomes a “left vs. right” issue. Conceptually, a pizza delivery person could be robbed and killed in a neighborhood with multimillion dollar homes by a rich white kid who is high on recreational drugs and simply wants to rob and murder for kicks. As sick as this is, the likelihood and risk factor is near zero and one that the business and driver are willing to take.

Another hard-working immigrant murdered by a native-born gangsta. Or: The conversation we aren't allowed to have over black violence.

A 17-year-old St. Louis man was charged with murder Saturday for the shooting death of a Ghanian Lyft driver who had immigrated to the United States and was saving up to bring his children over as well.
Torian Wilson has been charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action for the killing of 45-year-old Elijah Newman, who was found dead late Thursday night in his car from a single gunshot wound to the torso.
Elijah Newman was found dead in his car around 11 p.m. Thursday.
Police tracked Wilson from his email address, which had been linked to a series of recent carjackings of ride-sharing drivers, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The teenager was taken into custody with a gun that matched a bullet casing found near Newman’s body.
“We are heartbroken by this tragic incident and our hearts are with Elijah’s family and friends during this incredibly difficult time,” Lyft said in a statement. “Safety is fundamental to Lyft and we stand ready to assist law enforcement with any investigation.”
a person posing for the camera: Torian Wilson, 17, was charged Saturday with first-degree murder.

And your overall point..is..what? A criminal committed a crime and was arrested for it.
We get it. So...what statement are you making here? C'mon, be upfront and transparent. :)
see post # 5

Yeah, we get it. You don't like black people. They're responsible for all of your perceived grievances....Why don't you just come out and say it?
Which was the point of my response.
hahhahahaha
more babble shit from you
..I state facts and the truth--you state crap

Another hard-working immigrant murdered by a native-born gangsta. Or: The conversation we aren't allowed to have over black violence.

A 17-year-old St. Louis man was charged with murder Saturday for the shooting death of a Ghanian Lyft driver who had immigrated to the United States and was saving up to bring his children over as well.
Torian Wilson has been charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action for the killing of 45-year-old Elijah Newman, who was found dead late Thursday night in his car from a single gunshot wound to the torso.
Police tracked Wilson from his email address, which had been linked to a series of recent carjackings of ride-sharing drivers, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The teenager was taken into custody with a gun that matched a bullet casing found near Newman’s body.
“We are heartbroken by this tragic incident and our hearts are with Elijah’s family and friends during this incredibly difficult time,” Lyft said in a statement. “Safety is fundamental to Lyft and we stand ready to assist law enforcement with any investigation.”
a person posing for the camera: Torian Wilson, 17, was charged Saturday with first-degree murder.

And your overall point..is..what? A criminal committed a crime and was arrested for it.
We get it. So...what statement are you making here? C'mon, be upfront and transparent. :)

I have seen this stupid kind of logic you exhibit on here too many times already....aka oh well the criminal was arrested whats the problem?....now I know even if no one else does you are a nigha boy cuz no one else could be so brain dead.

Irregardless just for the record....this kind of crap happens way too often....yet too many refuse to see the problem........young black males.

Now here is this 17yr. old stupid punk who most likely already has a rap sheet as long as his arm and has been handled with kid gloves.....now finally ruining his life for chump change.....how much money did he think he was going to get?

The only way to stop these punks is to crack down on them hard.....very hard. They should be tried as adults anytime they take a life....it is a hell of a thing taking a life....yet these punk kids seem to have no qualms about it.

They may have no value for the lives of the other but if a noose was placed around their neck and they were hung at high noon in front of the court house....I fuckin A gurantee..........you would see much less of this kinf of stupidity.

I wonder if the man had a family?.....most likely a wife and children....but never mind the criminal was arrested....you thiink that means anything to them? You think that will help them as they have to struggle to survive with their father, husband and breadwinner taken from them by a punk ass kid?

I mean if you are willing to kill someone.....why not go where the big bucks are?

I have seen this stupid kind of logic you exhibit on here too many times already....aka oh well the criminal was arrested whats the problem?....now I know even if no one else does you are a nigha boy cuz no one else could be so brain dead.

Irregardless just for the record....this kind of crap happens way too often....yet too many refuse to see the problem........young black males.

Now here is this 17yr. old stupid punk who most likely already has a rap sheet as long as his arm and has been handled with kid gloves.....now finally ruining his life for chump change.....how much money did he think he was going to get?

The only way to stop these punks is to crack down on them hard.....very hard. They should be tried as adults anytime they take a life....it is a hell of a thing taking a life....yet these punk kids seem to have no qualms about it.

They may have no value for the lives of the other but if a noose was placed around their neck and they were hung at high noon in front of the court house....I fuckin A gurantee..........you would see much less of this kinf of stupidity.

I wonder if the man had a family?.....most likely a wife and children....but never mind the criminal was arrested....you thiink that means anything to them? You think that will help them as they have to struggle to survive with their father, husband and breadwinner taken from them by a punk ass kid?

I mean if you are willing to kill someone.....why not go where the big bucks are?

A criminal committed a crime and was arrested. And he'll probably do a long time in prison for it, as he should. Line number 2 of your blather is where the rubber meets the road of your bias and bigotry. The whole "noose" statement kinda gives it away too. I'm sorry, wasn't that practiced regularly in the South?..yes, I must have read about that somewhere. Also..."crack down on them hard?"......I thought that's why we're here at this place in time in the first place? How's that workin out? And your answer is to up the threat level...no matter who it is directed against. Can you imagine if that were leveraged against white people in the God fearing, patriot loving suburbs? Something tells me, it wouldn't go over well. :)

A criminal committed a crime and was arrested. And he'll probably do a long time in prison for it, as he should. Line number 2 of your blather is where the rubber meets the road of your bias and bigotry. The whole "noose" statement kinda gives it away too. I'm sorry, wasn't that practiced regularly in the South?..yes, I must have read about that somewhere. Also..."crack down on them hard?"......I thought that's why we're here at this place in time in the first place? How's that workin out? And your answer is to up the threat level...no matter who it is directed against. Can you imagine if that were leveraged against white people in the God fearing, patriot loving suburbs? Something tells me, it wouldn't go over well. :)

Oh the simple minded fools....the bane of the US message board.

Irregardless........it is good the Negroid piece of shit was arrested but it solves nothing,will not help a suffering and grieving family.

Bottom line....a worthess negro punk kid killed a hard working and decent man---nothing will absolve that.

What is needed is a policy on how to get rid of these black punks.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh the simple minded fools....the bane of the US message board.

Irregardless........it is good the Negroid piece of shit was arrested but it solves nothing,will not help a suffering and grieving family.

Bottom line....a worthess negro punk kid killed a hard working and decent man---nothing will absolve that.

What is needed is a policy on how to get rid of these black punks.

Anyone got any ideas?

No such word as irregardless. Your racism and bigotry is noted.
Aside from that, he's been arrested and will pay for his crime.
Again, what are you REALLY saying here? Let me finish it for you.
Dispense summary justice for all blacks regardless of whether they committed a crime or not.
Sound about on point?

Off topic: In defense of 'irregardless'Not only is "irregardless" a word, but it's probably the best word of all time. Here's why........

In a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago about overpriced Halo USB drives, I used the word "irregardless." And as these TalkBack posts show, it wasn't a very popular decision.
For example, one BoopieJones (awesome screen name notwithstanding) challenged the very existence of the word. Another reader, JustDenny, was noticeably shaken by the use of the word, e-shouting "oh no!!!" before noting that the word is a double-negative.
In response, I would like to say that "irregardless" is a word. It is, at least according to Merriam-Webster and Scrabble.
But I'm not going to stop there. No. I would also like to contend that "irregardless" is the baddest-ass word of all time. This is for several reasons, which I will now explain.

1. It's the only word where attaching the "ir-" prefix to the root word has the exact same meaning as the root word: Throwing an "ir-" in front of normal, less bad-ass words that begin with "R" changes the meaning to the opposite of the word. Irrefutable. Irreverent. Irrelevant. Irresponsible. Not "irregardless." It doesn't care what the rules of grammar are. It means exactly the same thing as "regardless," and that's the way it likes it.

2. Against all odds, against all logic, and (ir)regardless of everyone hating it, it has achieved official word status: How can you not pull for the underdog in this case? "Irregardless" went up against the rules of grammar, stick-by-the-book lexicographers, and the fact that it's a completely redundant word. Didn't matter. Whatever didn't kill it made it stronger. It's the hardest-working word in the dictionary, and it should have earned your respect by now.

3. Even though it's a word, Merriam-Webster says you shouldn't use it: Can you name another word in the dictionary that the dictionary says you shouldn't use? Even really bad swear words don't have a dictionary-imposed boycott. That just makes me want to use it more.

4. It simultaneously makes sense and doesn't make sense: You can think of the word in one of two ways: (1) it should mean the opposite of "regardless," or something along the lines of "keeping the facts in regard," or (2) it could mean "regardless of the fact that something is regardless." The latter of the two is like double-super regardless, and it's the meaning I prefer. "Irregardless" really, really doesn't care what the facts are or what you think. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, such as when a course of action is ridiculously counterintuitive. "Irregardless of the fact that you are very thirsty, you should eat this pile of salt." Stuff like that.

5. It practices what it preaches: Irregardless of the rules of grammar, "irregardless" is a word. It's self-reflexive. It's the exception that proves the rule. It talks the talk and walks the walk. Is there another word like that? No, because "irregardless" is bad-ass. It is a text-based Chuck Norris, roundhouse-kicking everything else in the dictionary into submission.

6. If you think about it long enough, it will blow your mind: It's the Mobius Strip of words, but it's also packed with Eminem's aggressively apathetic attitude. It's completely unique, completely confusing, and it couldn't give a rat's ass about any of that. It just is what it is. If you don't like it, don't use it.
So that's my argument. I think "irregardless" should be embraced and celebrated. And damn it, I'm going to use it every chance I get.

Forum List

Back