squirrel proof bird feeder?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

A number of options, some that spin endlessly when squirrels grab hold. You can electrify them with low voltage so they get a shock but it doesn't hurt them. Check youtube, countless videos.

strollingbones

This is sold at Super Walmarts, Northern Tools, Tractor Supply, You can get them with or without the bird feeder. The squirrel climbs down or jumps on the baffle and it collapses to one side and throws them on the ground.

50321253.jpg

Not a squirrel fan here. They are too destructive, though fun to watch at times. I have a privacy fence in the back, and huge old pecan trees. Squirrels love to dig my sod and hide pecans, then later dig again and get them. We have been chasing them off.
The privacy fence has the posts every few feet of course, and the squirrels love to run the fence on top, but, they think they have to stop on each post as they are running. It is so hysterical to see them running away from us, as fast as they can go, yet still stopping on each post. :777:

Depends on how far you want to take it.

Does your feeder hang from a tree or is on a pole? If it is on a pole... there are a couple things you can do.

You can actually put a slinky on it.

Another is to spray the pole with oil so they slide off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem until I got a shepherds hook and this feeder.
upload_2018-7-4_23-16-47.jpeg
upload_2018-7-4_23-18-41.jpeg

Both from lowes

.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem.

I bribe them away from our bird feeders. We have a bird bath and a bird feeder in our front and back yard.

I learned this little trick when I backpacked on the Appalachian Trail back in the 70's. Those AT shelters were built during the Depression and generations of mice grew up in them stealing food from backpackers. Destructive little bastards. They'd chew up your backpack and leave behind mice poop. Before we bedded down for the night, we learned to pay tribute to the shelter mice. We'd put out a handful of nuts and raisins. They left our packs alone. And they loved toilet paper to make their nests. They'd go for that over food believe it or not so out it went as tribute.

Fast forward to 2018: Our trash days are Monday and Thursday. Our neighborhood crows will rip open our trash bags if they are not paid tribute. It's a mess to clean up. I buy the cheap 15 pound bags of bird and squirrel food at Wal-Mart and put it on the flat top of our brick mail box. The crows leave our trash alone and the squirrels join in. The crows and squirrels will feed together which is cool to watch. Bird feeders are left alone.

i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days

Ouch. Gotta fix that. I had that problem and fixed it by learning what the birds I wanted to visit and watch liked to eat. It took me a couple of years of adjusting different blends of feeds but I finally got it close.

Buying bulk from a seed and feed store and mixing your own will save you a ton.

I like watching the squirrels and crows as much as my wild birds so I don't mind feeding both. I just found a way to feed them in different locations.

Good luck and let us know what you learn so we can steal your ideas.

Same problem here I have one pole with 2 feeders. Total of 8 ports. And I was going thru 20 lbs/week. Also feeding turkeys, possums, chipmunks, skunks who clean up underneath.

If it's on a pole system there are shields (use metal ones) that slow them down. If it's within jumping or flying range -- you need to move it. Believe or not -- I've made progress by keeping a super soaker on the patio and "training" them not to go up the pole. It sort of works because when I'm around -- they don't go up the pole anymore. The other thing is to take the feeders in at night. Because Happy Hour for squirrels is dawn. As soon as I'm rattling around the house -- they not as brave.

Does your feeder hang from a tree or is on a pole? If it is on a pole... there are a couple things you can do.

You can actually put a slinky on it.

Another is to spray the pole with oil so they slide off.

You didn't watch the "slinky test" vid all the way thru. I was thinking it would work. BUt it doesn't. And I've tried the oil trick and it's fun to watch. But it has to be applied too many times a day.

.22 solve a LOT of those problems. I never shot no skunk though, they're pretty cool, coons, too.
-guy who has 4 coons eating out back right now.

New Topics

Forum List

Back