Sports Question of the Day

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
Old Saturday Afternoon Sports-"If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, what was your favorite Saturday afternoon sports show and which was your favorite?"

1614345230818.png
1614345277471.png
1614345429371.png

I watched all three but started with Wide World of Sports. That anthology sports show thrust Howard Cosell into the spotlight as a boxing announcer. Who can forget the opening scene for Wide World of Sports showing the ski jumper crashing over the side of the trail. Truth is that man was not hurt very badly at all. But with Sportsworld, I can still see the show where they were hosting a weightlifting tournament and one of the participants was trying to do standing press and his knees gave out as he dropped to the floor and both knees blew out! It was ghastly.

Last edited:
Old Saturday Afternoon Sports-"If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, what was your favorite Saturday afternoon sports show and which was your favorite?"

View attachment 461829View attachment 461830View attachment 461831

I watched all three but started with Wide World of Sports. That anthology sports show thrust Howard Cosell into the spotlight as a boxing announcer. Who can forget the opening scene for Wide World of Sports showing the ski jumper crashing over the side of the trail. Truth is that man was not hurt very badly at all. But with Sportsworld, I can still see the show where they were hosting a weightlifting tournament and one of the participants was trying to do standing press and his knees gave out as he dropped to the floor and both knees blew out! It was ghastly.

Jim McKay hosted Wide World of Sports. Cosell appeared occasionally but did not become a phenomenon until Monday Night Football

Jim McKay hosted Wide World of Sports. Cosell appeared occasionally but did not become a phenomenon until Monday Night Football

I didn't say he hosted it...he made boxing more popular and used Wide World of Sports to increase his popularity. Yes, he also was a mainstay on MNF. But who can forget the Larry Holmes vs. Tex Cobb fight that prompted Cosell to quit calling fights?

WWS was great but I was partial to college football. Been to a shitload of bowl games since the 82 Sugar Bowl.

I didn't say he hosted it...he made boxing more popular and used Wide World of Sports to increase his popularity. Yes, he also was a mainstay on MNF. But who can forget the Larry Holmes vs. Tex Cobb fight that prompted Cosell to quit calling fights?

Was that the one where Tex beat the hell out of Larry's hand with his face?

My father insisted we kids sit and watch with him ... we enjoyed it, best part of the whole week was Saturday sports on TV ... mother didn't mind having the afternoon alone either ...

:yes_text12:

"I wonder if that referee understands that he is constructing an advertisement for the abolition of the very sport he's a part of." - Howard Cosell in round 14 of Cobb vs. Holmes
1614349358047.png

FWIW, the Larry Holmes era was the WORST EVER for the heavy weight division. We had a Champion who was an "arm puncher" and couldn't knock anyone out. He would pepper them with jabs and most would ultimately be "beat up" but he never actually knocked anyone out. TKO's by the score, but no actual knock-outs...what one expects of the Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Sorry
I misread your post. Cosell used to do Boxing on Wide World. They used to have top fights before everything went pay per view. I remember watching Ali fight on Wide World.

By the end of his career, Cosell was a bitter man who turned against all major sports. Boxing was too violent, the NFL was a monopoly, Baseball was boring, the Olympics were too professional.

Wild World of Sports--loved the segment when Franz Klammer of Austria, on his last try in the downhill at the Olympic games, won the gold medal. Jim McKay was the announcer and my heart was in my throat as he covered this event with fervor.

FWIW, the Larry Holmes era was the WORST EVER for the heavy weight division. We had a Champion who was an "arm puncher" and couldn't knock anyone out. He would pepper them with jabs and most would ultimately be "beat up" but he never actually knocked anyone out. TKO's by the score, but no actual knock-outs...what one expects of the Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Larry Holmes got a bad rap. He was a very good champion in an era without many respectable challengers. No real knockout power but a good boxer who stayed out of trouble.

I couldn’t even tell you who today’s Heavyweight champ is and can’t remember the last time I paid for a fight

Sorry
I misread your post. Cosell used to do Boxing on Wide World. They used to have top fights before everything went pay per view. I remember watching Ali fight on Wide World.

By the end of his career, Cosell was a bitter man who turned against all major sports. Boxing was too violent, the NFL was a monopoly, Baseball was boring, the Olympics were too professional.

No problem or worries here. Yes, Cosell did become a much different man in the end. Who can forget his comment on MNF, "Look at that little monkey run!" YIKES. It was an amazing time to grow up back then...nothing like today. I still remember watching Spinks beat Ali for the title on a weeknight free tv bout.

Howard Cosell's best moments:

Forum List

Back