Sports Question of the Day

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
On their best day, who wins a one-on-one match?

Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus?

I say Woods. When he is on his game he can make the golf ball do things no other golfer in history could. But the Golden Bear was an intimidating golfer who was as clutch as they come.

I say Woods. When he is on his game he can make the golf ball do things no other golfer in history could. But the Golden Bear was an intimidating golfer who was as clutch as they come.

Depends on the course I think. One of those where you say, On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I think Jack would win. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, I think Tiger would win. On Sundays....I don't think about it.

The golf balls in Jack's day weren't super balled up. Golf was more of a shot shaping game. Driver and a 6 or 7 iron. Today a drive and a wedge.

Equipment is relative, Woods would have played as great in 1970 as he would today. Same with Jack

I think they would finish 18 holes even up.

Real difference is that medically Woods would never have played this long back then. Knee surgery in 70 was rip the whole GD thing open. Today 3 pencil sized holes and some stitches. Back surgery in 1970..............Draconian compared to today.

The only physical workouts players had then was lifting Scotch and Sodas on the 19th.

Golf is such a simple game today compared to when I was 2 time defending caddy champion at the club when I was a kid.

I drove it about 275 when I was 16 with a MacGregor 2 wood with Blue Dot Maxies.

4 decades removed I hit it about 265 yds with these illegal Callaway balls. My God the flight and feel of those darned balls is something to behold.

Thought this was a "sports" question. All I see here is "golf". :gay:

Thought this was a "sports" question. All I see here is "golf". :gay:
You ever played the sport of golf Pogo? It’s a DEFINITE sport. Hardest sport to play and play well.

Golf is such a simple game today compared to when I was 2 time defending caddy champion at the club when I was a kid.

I drove it about 275 when I was 16 with a MacGregor 2 wood with Blue Dot Maxies.

4 decades removed I hit it about 265 yds with these illegal Callaway balls. My God the flight and feel of those darned balls is something to behold.
Great stuff Hang on Sloopy! Thanks for sharing!

Using the same equipment, I got to go with Tiger in his prime than Jack in his prime.
Tiger was in better shape and much stronger

No actual golfer would pose such a question. There is NO ANSWER to it.

EVERY GOLFER has good days and bad days. A one match contest makes as much sense as a single-elimination baseball tournament...which is to say, NONE.

No one was better than Woods. Deal with it.

The golf balls in Jack's day weren't super balled up. Golf was more of a shot shaping game. Driver and a 6 or 7 iron. Today a drive and a wedge.

Equipment is relative, Woods would have played as great in 1970 as he would today. Same with Jack

I think they would finish 18 holes even up.

Real difference is that medically Woods would never have played this long back then. Knee surgery in 70 was rip the whole GD thing open. Today 3 pencil sized holes and some stitches. Back surgery in 1970..............Draconian compared to today.

The only physical workouts players had then was lifting Scotch and Sodas on the 19th.

You nailed it with your last point.

in these comparisons, you have to take into account the question of.. what if Jack worked out in modern times? Or, what if Tiger didn't work out at all back in Jack's day. You can't compare the athletes and ignore the status quo training regimen differences of the time.

I'd say Jack, because he's not only won more majors than Tiger, but shockingly has come in 2nd in so many majors. Seriously... Let's compare

Tiger
15 majors
6 runnerups

Jack
18 majors
19 runner-ups

However, I'm also not tone-deaf to the aspect of the question "at their best". I've long held the belief that while Muhammad Ali is the best boxer in history considering his career, for a few specific years he would have eaten Canvas from a Tyson hook. Bo Jackson comes to mind.. who didn't last long, but for a short, intense period is arguably the best football running back we've ever seen.

Forum List

Back