"Spiritual but not religious" grows while the religious shrink

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
FT_17.09.05_spiritualNotReligious_310px.png

It's a trend that continues, people are leaving organized religion, yet they still feel spiritual.

Some say it's a reaction to evangelicals. Evangelicals are making people leave religion. People don't want to be associated with that kind of extremism.

Why do you think so many spiritual people are leaving organized religion?

It seems to me that "spiritual" means religion lite. It's just easier to pretend you are virtuous when you skip the difficult stuff. Maybe that's why Evangelicals make some people uncomfortable. They are religious. Being all-in means extreme these days.

Doing things half assed is less burdensome. People who aren't half assed about religion are annoying. Is it because they needle the conscience of the spiritual?

It seems to me that "spiritual" means religion lite. It's just easier to pretend you are virtuous when you skip the difficult stuff. Maybe that's why Evangelicals make some people uncomfortable. They are religious. Being all-in means extreme these days.

Doing things half assed is less burdensome. People who aren't half assed about religion are annoying. Is it because they needle the conscience of the spiritual?

A lot of people are embarrassed by evangelicals. Evangelicals say a lot of embarrassing stuff.

Who would want to be associated with that?

A lot of people are embarrassed by evangelicals. Evangelicals say a lot of embarrassing stuff.

Well, to be fair, where much of these 'spiritual' people go is even more embarrassing.

Many of those that have kicked religion but kept 'spirituality' have moved over to crystal healing, psychics or some other such nonsense. People like Deepak Chopra have capitalized on this and it can be quite harmful. Alternative treatments have been making their way into the mainstream.

Not long ago my doctor actually referred me to a fucking acupuncturist. My. Fucking. DOCTOR. She has a degree and everything.

interestingly enough, those not spiritual and not religious still buy into this crap at almost a 50% rate. l have no idea what they think that garbage is if not 'spiritual.'

Well, to be fair, where much of these 'spiritual' people go is even more embarrassing.

Many of those that have kicked religion but kept 'spirituality' have moved over to crystal healing, psychics or some other such nonsense. People like Deepak Chopra have capitalized on this and it can be quite harmful. Alternative treatments have been making their way into the mainstream.

Not long ago my doctor actually referred me to a fucking acupuncturist. My. Fucking. DOCTOR. She has a degree and everything.

interestingly enough, those not spiritual and not religious still buy into this crap at almost a 50% rate. l have no idea what they think that garbage is if not 'spiritual.'

No, most are still Christians.

They're just leaving organized religion.

It's a trend that continues, people are leaving organized religion, yet they still feel spiritual.

Some say it's a reaction to evangelicals. Evangelicals are making people leave religion. People don't want to be associated with that kind of extremism.

Simple explanation. Ignorance. No one bothers to search the scriptures daily to see for themselves "....what is truth and what is not". Salvation is to important to leave it in the hands of another, depending upon another to mold what they call truth. (Acts 17:11)

Who opens a Bible daily in this modern generation of instant communication? Truth: "one must worship IN SPIRIT and IN TRUTH", or your worship means nothing to God. (John 14:6)

As I said........the explanation is simple. People are not interested in pleasing God......but pleasing "SELF". We are living in the greediest and most selfish generation the U.S has ever witnessed.....with the coin of the realm being "ACCOLADE".

What's embarrassing is your attempt to post a serious question as an excuse to rag on Evangelicals.

Have a blessed day, pal.

Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together. Hebrews 10:25 even more so as the day draws near. So those leaving are saying no to God. They only think they are spiritual. Jesus assures all-Only those living now to do his Fathers will get to enter his kingdom. And Hebrews 10:25 is the Fathers will. How easy it is to fool oneself into losing out on entering Gods kingdom.
Maybe they just found false religion.

My divorce created a situation for me that I can't resolve except to avoid going to Church. But I'm still religious.

Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together. Hebrews 10:25 even more so as the day draws near. So those leaving are saying no to God. They only think they are spiritual. Jesus assures all-Only those living now to do his Fathers will get to enter his kingdom. And Hebrews 10:25 is the Fathers will. How easy it is to fool oneself into losing out on entering Gods kingdom.
Maybe they just found false religion.

Jesus loves them.

Jesus loves them.

That what all these think-Matthew 7:21-23-- But their jaws will be dropped to the floor when Jesus tells them those words. Because 1) they failed to do the Fathers will-2) worked iniquity=practiced a sin.
Jesus was clear--Man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY utterance from God. And the real followers do just that, And the real teachers Jesus appoints make sure it is done by teaching every utterance from God-over and over.

What do they have against widows and orphans??

images (15).jpeg

They want to sin.

A lot of so-called Christian’s are so judgmental. I have never been religious. I know right from wrong. I am very companionate but don’t feel a need to belong to a group, or cult. My spiritual beliefs are personal and private.

Forum List

Back