Spike Lee is an Ass

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Maybe this goes in the movie reviews section, but as a Katrina issue, I thought it was more appriate here.

Spike Lee has made a four hour documentary about Hurricane Katrina. As can be expected, this documentary leans towards the conclusion that George W. Bush and Mike Brown are to blame for the whole thing. This one, however, leans so far that it just falls down, and the only people who could possibly believe the picture painted by this crap-u-mentary are the ones who did so before seeing the film. The film has numerous interviews with Nagin talking about how much he wanted to help, but couldn't, yet there's no mention of the hundreds of flooded busses. It talks about a 'lack of help' but never mentions the millions of Americans who opened their homes and their wallets. They, of course, talk day and night about the levies. In fact, the name of this abominations is "When the Levies Broke." It never mentions, however, the Louisianna politicians whose job it actually is to make sure the levies are up to code. This whole thing is an insult, but then again, I would expect nothing less from Spike Lee than a four hour rant about the evils of white people.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/StarParker/2006/08/28/katrina,_lies_and_videotape

Maybe this goes in the movie reviews section, but as a Katrina issue, I thought it was more appriate here.

Spike Lee has made a four hour documentary about Hurricane Katrina. As can be expected, this documentary leans towards the conclusion that George W. Bush and Mike Brown are to blame for the whole thing. This one, however, leans so far that it just falls down, and the only people who could possibly believe the picture painted by this crap-u-mentary are the ones who did so before seeing the film. The film has numerous interviews with Nagin talking about how much he wanted to help, but couldn't, yet there's no mention of the hundreds of flooded busses. It talks about a 'lack of help' but never mentions the millions of Americans who opened their homes and their wallets. They, of course, talk day and night about the levies. In fact, the name of this abominations is "When the Levies Broke." It never mentions, however, the Louisianna politicians whose job it actually is to make sure the levies are up to code. This whole thing is an insult, but then again, I would expect nothing less from Spike Lee than a four hour rant about the evils of white people.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/StarParker/2006/08/28/katrina,_lies_and_videotape
Did you actually watch all four hours?

I liked "Inside Man."

The Title of this thread said it all. Spike Lee is an ASSHOLE. He is nothing more than a white supremicist in black clothing. if you changed black to white every time he says something they sound just alike.

He is nothing more than an opportunistic rascist, bigot. He cries about the white man keeping the black man down because he knows the black community will eat that up and give him more of thier money to spew more hate. He preys off the illtericay in the black community to further himself. he is such a jerk........

Of course this is just my opinion......

Hey Spike :tongue1: :nine:

The Title of this thread said it all. Spike Lee is an ASSHOLE. He is nothing more than a white supremicist in black clothing. if you changed black to white every time he says something they sound just alike.

He is nothing more than an opportunistic rascist, bigot. He cries about the white man keeping the black man down because he knows the black community will eat that up and give him more of thier money to spew more hate. He preys off the illtericay in the black community to further himself. he is such a jerk........

Of course this is just my opinion......

Hey Spike :tongue1: :nine:

I'm sure he'll be just heartbroken to learn you're not a fan. :clap:

Now...for a wee bit of reality on where the film is coming from. Pay special attention to the bold part.

"When the Levees Broke" features a fair amount of cussing, especially if you agree with most Gulf Coast residents that FEMA is a four-letter word. But heartbreak, not fury, is the dominant emotion of Lee's $2 million documentary, which will premiere in two parts on Aug. 21 and 22, and then air in its entirety on Aug. 29, the anniversary of Katrina's landfall. Lee is older and wiser than the man who made "Do the Right Thing," and the result is arguably the most essential work of his 20-year career. Act I covers the storm's arrival; Act II chronicles the failure of the emergency response; Act III follows an abandoned community coming to grips with all that it lost, and Act IV addresses the halting, haphazard effort to begin again. But images and ideas echo through each act like a fugue. Lee's voice is rarely heard; he lets Terence Blanchard's thundering brass score, dizzy with grief, do the speaking for him. (Blanchard, who has now collaborated with Lee 13 times, is a New Orleans native. In one of the film's most wrenching scenes, Blanchard visits the wreckage of his boyhood home with his aging mother.) Most of Katrina's victims were black, but Lee hasn't made a racial polemic. Some viewers will be surprised to find that Lee views the tragedy as a national betrayal rooted in class, not skin color. To him, what the victimized share most is that they had very little to begin with and were left with nothing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14322933/site/newsweek/

The faster they flood New Orleans the better. That will mean the last vestige of the Frogs will be gone. And we'll eliminate a major source of drug pushing, corruption, voo-doo and various evil. Good riddance.

The faster they flood New Orleans the better. That will mean the last vestige of the Frogs will be gone. And we'll eliminate a major source of drug pushing, corruption, voo-doo and various evil. Good riddance.

First off, shut up, troll.

Second off, I'd like the crap to stay in the toilet rather than be washed over to my area. We had enough of that right after Katrina.

Now...for a wee bit of reality on where the film is coming from. Pay special attention to the bold part.

I don't care if he officially attacks it from the class angle or the race angle, he's still attacking from the race angle. A documentary has pictures, too, and most of the ones I've seen from the film are of the poor black victims. And even if he really is doing it purely from a class angle, it's still a bunch of BS that doesn't stand up next to the facts.

An Ivy League Professor said that America blew a major chance to work out some deeply rooted race issues in the aftermath of Katrina. Instead we purposely tried to deny that race and Katrina are related.

The problem--well in the eyes of most--is not that Bush was a racist and reacted slowly because of some sort of prejudice. This is likely not the truth. The problem is that for five days we saw thousands upon thousands of poor American citizens struggling to survive...and the vast majority were black.

Our country should not have major percentage blocks of a race living at a substantially worse level than the majority race. That is the problem and that is what we should have been paying attention to after Katrina...not whether or not Bush is a racist.

An Ivy League Professor said that America blew a major chance to work out some deeply rooted race issues in the aftermath of Katrina. Instead we purposely tried to deny that race and Katrina are related.

The problem--well in the eyes of most--is not that Bush was a racist and reacted slowly because of some sort of prejudice. This is likely not the truth. The problem is that for five days we saw thousands upon thousands of poor American citizens struggling to survive...and the vast majority were black.

Our country should not have major percentage blocks of a race living at a substantially worse level than the majority race. That is the problem and that is what we should have been paying attention to after Katrina...not whether or not Bush is a racist.

Blacks are given a major hand up the U.S. government, thanks to people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Any of them that still don't succeed do so because of their own laziness, incompetance, or dependance on government, not anything the rest of the country has done. I don't think America needs to think about why there are so many poor blacks. Poor blacks need to the think about why there are so many poor blacks.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hobbit again.

Sorry buddy I tried.

First off, shut up, troll.

Second off, I'd like the crap to stay in the toilet rather than be washed over to my area. We had enough of that right after Katrina.

I don't care if he officially attacks it from the class angle or the race angle, he's still attacking from the race angle. A documentary has pictures, too, and most of the ones I've seen from the film are of the poor black victims. And even if he really is doing it purely from a class angle, it's still a bunch of BS that doesn't stand up next to the facts.
Hobbit, did you watch all 4 hours?

The biggest problem I noticed when living there was the amount of corruption in that city. From the gas station attendent all the way up to the Governor, nothing gets done in that city with out greasing someones hand. So, it's not surprising that nothing gets done.

Also, to many poor people, after a few generations on welfair, just forget how to help themselves. The towns in Miss. and Florida didn't wait for the gov. to finally get off their ass and help, no they formed church volunteer groups and did it themselves.

And as far as people saying the gov. did nothing for 5 days. The levees broke on Monday and flooded half the city. By Thursday 80,000 people were all but moved out and the city was completely abandoned by Friday. The people, rich and poor, who stayed and had to be rescued weren't clueless about what was about to happen. They knew they were living in a fish bowl with a cat. 5 coming at them. Gretna, Algeirs, Marrero, numerous other towns right across the river, don't need a car to walk, are on higher ground and would have been safer.

Hobbit, did you watch all 4 hours?

I know where you're going with this, and no, I didn't watch the movie. I wouldn't waste my time. Instead, I read a few articles about it and saved myself 4 hours of torture watching Blackman and Robin try to call Bush a Joker because he didn't use his magic wand to make everything all better.

I know where you're going with this, and no, I didn't watch the movie. I wouldn't waste my time. Instead, I read a few articles about it and saved myself 4 hours of torture watching Blackman and Robin try to call Bush a Joker because he didn't use his magic wand to make everything all better.

So this whole thread is based on second-hand information - more or less uninformed opinion? k.....

So this whole thread is based on second-hand information - more or less uninformed opinion? k.....

I knew as soon as Clay asked that question that somebody was going to tell me I was full of shit because I had never actually seen the movie in question. Well, how many people jumped on the anti-semitism bandwagon without seeing "The Passion?" or the bandwagon criticizing the South Park movie. It's just a typical tactic of some people. You apparantly can't attack the points I'm making, so instead, you try to erode my credibility by claiming that I can know nothing of the content of a movie without suffering through the entire thing. That's bullshit and you know it.

I knew as soon as Clay asked that question that somebody was going to tell me I was full of shit because I had never actually seen the movie in question. Well, how many people jumped on the anti-semitism bandwagon without seeing "The Passion?" or the bandwagon criticizing the South Park movie. It's just a typical tactic of some people. You apparantly can't attack the points I'm making, so instead, you try to erode my credibility by claiming that I can know nothing of the content of a movie without suffering through the entire thing. That's bullshit and you know it.

I don't think he was attacking your "credibility", per se, just your lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

Forum List

Back