Spielberg Remaking "West Side Story"

Let me guess, Spielberg will pedophiliously insert the most annoying small children imaginable, giving them far more mugging screen time than the story requires. Spielberg is to young children what Tarantino is to adult women's feet. Even worse, has any movie maker conjured up more annoying, grating, sappy, stomach-clenching, puerile child characters than Spielberg?

Let me guess, Spielberg will pedophiliously insert the most annoying small children imaginable, giving them far more mugging screen time than the story requires. Spielberg is to young children what Tarantino is to adult women's feet. Even worse, has any movie maker conjured up more annoying, grating, sappy, stomach-clenching, puerile child characters than Spielberg?
Yeah and for shits and giggle, a cameo of ET riding his bike through the street, when Chasity Bono with a beard beats him up and takes the bike...Nothing like a little thuggery for those illegal aliens.

I have to disagree with you somewhat here, WillMunny. Steve Spielberg has done some really good movies (although not all of the movies he's done are good), but it's agreed that the film West Side Story is a special classic that should definitely be left alone.

What I find the most worrisome about the planned re-make of the 1961 film version of West Side Story by Steve Spielberg and Tony Kushner is the possibility that when the re-make of WSS comes out, the people who never saw the original 1961 film version will think of the re-make of West Side Story as the movie, which could very well result in the original film version either going down into the dustbin of history, or being totally suppressed and never, ever being available again, especially in revival movie theatres.

Having said all of the above, I believe that the best way to introduce the film West Side Story to today's younger generations is to have more frequent national re-releases in selected movie theatres, and/or in revival theatres, nation-wide.

A remake could be great, but how could they ever improve on the sound track?

The soundtrack is an equally important part of the film version of West Side Story. There's no way it could be improved upon. I don't think that a re-make of this classic movie-musical...period, would work. Steve Spielberg and Tony Kushner would do well to cut their losses and give up on the re-make of the film West Side Story while they're behind, if one gets the drift.

It was the Sharks (Puerto Ricans) vs Jets(Anglos) in the 1950's version.
Who would the gangs be in a modern remake?
Does NYC still have a gang problem?
The Jets will have to be black. Eliminate whites from present day NYC.

I simply cannot see how a re-make of the 1961 film version of West Side Story would work, no matter who it's re-made by. That's my take on it.

Spielberg is a fucking moron

Please GOD punish him and their like!

Please do

/----/ All of the budding screenwriters can't come up with an original idea?

'West Side Story' wasn't an original idea.

Pyramus-and-Thisbe.jpg

and yes

I hate Spielberg

ok?

I could say so much more

but I will only say I hate scum Spielberg

A remake could be great, but how could they ever improve on the sound track?
Frankly, I don't think that a reboot/remake of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story is necessary, plus there's no way in which the soundtrack could be improved upon, either. This great golden oldie-but-keeper of a classic movie-musical is what it is, and it should've been left alone.

That's bullshit, missed this one... One of the movies that should never be remade

Most remakes of older classic films come out rather dreadful, anyhow. Frankly, I do not see how a reboot/remake of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story, by anybody, including Steven Spielberg, could or would be any exception to that.

Forum List

Back